The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-20-2018, 09:02 AM

Default Recording to iPad Pro...

I want record our trio. Keep fooling around but then I get into playing more than electronics. Looking for info I keep running into the language barrier, ie: what are these people talking about? The terminology is killing me.😄
I have an iPad Pro that I want to use. I just picked up an I rig hd2 on a recommendation. Have not unboxed it yet. I want to go from our mixer to the iPad.
I assume I will use a line out from the mixer to the I RIG and then into the iPad. What sort of app will need? Will I be able to modify the recorded sound? Do,I even have the right gear?
Any help appreciated......
Old 10-20-2018, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
I want record our trio. Keep fooling around but then I get into playing more than electronics. Looking for info I keep running into the language barrier, ie: what are these people talking about? The terminology is killing me.��
I have an iPad Pro that I want to use. I just picked up an I rig hd2 on a recommendation. Have not unboxed it yet. I want to go from our mixer to the iPad.
I assume I will use a line out from the mixer to the I RIG and then into the iPad. What sort of app will need? Will I be able to modify the recorded sound? Do,I even have the right gear?
Hi jj-etc

Some suggestions…
  • Open the package, and read the directions on the iRig
  • Go to YouTube and do some searching around for recording music to an iPad Pro (or any other iPad). Even Garage Band (the Apple free default built in recorder) is pretty full-featured for what you said you want to do (hope to accomplish).

And perhaps others who have tried this will wade in. For me the limiting factor for recording directly to my iPads would be the amount of memory I need, and the process of getting files in/out of the iPad for further editing on my desk-top.

I wanted to record on the iPad (it seemed like a dream scenario). But I ended up just getting a used Zoom H4n at a great price, and I can use it stand-alone or with any of my studio mics, and the process is more straightforward.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-22-2018, 04:01 AM

Quote:
I want record our trio. Keep fooling around but then I get into playing more than electronics. Looking for info I keep running into the language barrier, ie: what are these people talking about? The terminology is killing me.😄
The free Apple's Garageband is a very capable DAW, you will be able to record tracks, add new to the existing ones, modify them with included effects (compressor, EQ, delay etc.) and if you have a Mac it's easy to transfer an iPad Garageband project to your computer for further editing if you ever need it.

Another powerful DAW for multi-tracking and mixing on IOS devices is Auria by Wavemachine Labs. It's almost as fully featured as desktop DAWs.

Regarding the iRig HD you have, you could first plug your guitar into the iRig and from its amplifier output connect to a mixer and at the same time use a USB cable for recording into an iPad.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:00 PM

Well, thanks to both of you. Reading the instructions should work
And I do have a Mac. I am going to be trying this out tonight I think. Let you know...
JJ
Old 10-23-2018, 05:09 PM

Well, I sort of have it worked out, maybe. I used the app for the Yamaha mixer (Yamaha MG) and with the Irig HD2 I can get the mixer out to record to the Ipad. But I cannot seem to playback until I unplug the lightning cord to the Ipad and then only thru the ipad speakers. Nor can I find any tools for exporting the recorded music. I have a free (full) app for the amplitude system that I will try soon. For the life of me I do not seem to "get" garage band.
Anyone want to suggest an easy to deal with app to record thru mixer and play back thru PA and export the music (to a server or memory device or web site)?
Thanks
Old 10-24-2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Well, I sort of have it worked out, maybe. I used the app for the Yamaha mixer (Yamaha MG) and with the Irig HD2 I can get the mixer out to record to the Ipad. But I cannot seem to playback until I unplug the lightning cord to the Ipad and then only thru the ipad speakers. Nor can I find any tools for exporting the recorded music. I have a free (full) app for the amplitude system that I will try soon. For the life of me I do not seem to "get" garage band.
Anyone want to suggest an easy to deal with app to record thru mixer and play back thru PA and export the music (to a server or memory device or web site)?
Thanks
For a simple app you can have a look at is the Presonus Capture Duo. It allows you to record a stereo track (no multi-tracking) and then transfer it to a computer. I tried it a while ago it had an ability to send a recorded track wirelessly to a desktop Studio One DAW - they offer one version of their DAW for free. But I think the recorded track could be somehow transferred to any other software on a Mac.
The IK Multimedia Amplitube app should work too.

If you want to play back a recording from your iPad, you would need to connect the iRig via a mini-jack (1/8 headphone output) cable back to the mixer, along with a Lighting connection between the iRig and iPad.

You mentioned you have a Yamaha MG mixer, some of them have a USB output which would work with an iPad, without a need for the iRig.

If I understand your setup correctly, you plug three instruments into the mixer and then to the iRig via a 1/4 cable and then to the iPad - if that's the case this setup has a disadvantage that it reduces the signal to mono because the iRig has only a mono input.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:37 AM

You mentioned you have a Yamaha MG mixer, some of them have a USB output which would work with an iPad, without a need for the iRig.

If I understand your setup correctly, you plug three instruments into the mixer and then to the iRig via a 1/4 cable and then to the iPad - if that's the case this setup has a disadvantage that it reduces the signal to mono because the iRig has only a mono input.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what I have. So I should be able to use the usb out of the mixer direct to the iPad and back again?
Old 10-24-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
So I should be able to use the usb out of the mixer direct to the iPad and back again?
Yes, all MG mixers with USB will work with iPads as they are class complaint devices (which means they don't need an additional software driver).
You will also need a Lightning to USB Camera Adapter and a USB cable to connect the two.
If it's just for recording and playback (no editing on the iPad) Yamaha MG Rec&Play app seems to be straightforward.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:43 PM

Well... I have it working. Out of the mixer to the camera adaptor then into the iPad. And I can play back thru the PA system using the mini cable.
Next I will see about editing what I have recorded, but that might be awhile.
Thanks for the help!
Jj

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD