The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Question

thought of 4 more questions:

1)i plan to play seated(always do with everything), and never use a strap, is a strap a recommended idea for one of these or do they balance real nice?

2)is a strap is recommended-do they come from the factory with two strap pins installed-if not, wheres the best place for the front one to be placed

3)anybody use Mr B's slides(somewhere in NC i think)?

4)string choices and gauges recommended for this incoming 12 fret light steel body?

thanks
daryl
Old 01-27-2011, 04:02 PM

That's a nice rig. Your right though. Complete double face palm fail on the description. My resorocket essentially looks like that now. It had the vintage steel finish which I rubbed into a shine with 39 hours of steel wool and sore arms and hands with the neck off.

I like that finish though. Shiny, but not too shiny, so you don't have to go nuts with the polishing cloth every time you breathe on it like the nickel plated brass. I think you'll like the sound of the steel much better. I believe it vibrates better than brass. I'm frickn jealous actually. That thing is nice. It's cool of National to keep stepping up with new models and new finishes because the last thing we'd want is the gas to run out.

Man o man. You're in deep sheite man. Once you roll the slide over those strings you're going to want another one. Of course logic always says you need another one to keep in a different tuning. That's the usual Gas justification, especially when a woman asks because we all know how daunting and physically exhausting it is to change tunings. And, being there are dozens of tunings, the Gas can never possibly run out.

I'm always in fear of National going out of business because of the economy, thank God they've weathered the storm so far. I got to get that custom order in soon though, just in case

Have fun with that and don't dare post about it without several high quality pictures.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:12 PM

Hi, Check out the Hot Rod resophonics. http://www.nationalguitar.com/catalog/hot-rod-steel Heard good things about them on the forums. 100% trade in offer for a year if you upgrade to a National. If you like resos you don't lose any money to upgrade and if you don't you'll lose very little and you can just chalk it up yo rental.
Regards, Brian
Old 01-27-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post

1)i plan to play seated(always do with everything), and never use a strap, is a strap a recommended idea for one of these or do they balance real nice?

2)is a strap is recommended-do they come from the factory with two strap pins installed-if not, wheres the best place for the front one to be placed

4)string choices and gauges recommended for this incoming 12 fret light steel body?

thanks
daryl
They do not balance well at all. I use to put grip tape (2 pieces) on the underside where it rests on your leg. If you try to play in standard position it's going to be weird. I see some folks pull it off. I can't. So I played in classical position for a few years. Then I started playing out and felt like a tool, using a foot stool, so I installed strap buttons on all my resonators. I put them here. See pic. Most folks like them on the heel of the neck. I don't. I just figure that the less contact with the guitar the strap has the better. Especially with a lot of mine which have a painted finish.

I got out a steel drill bit, and went to town. No biggie at all. Strap button, screw, locknut, washer, bolt, loctite, done. I don't like any type of strap I looked at so I went to walmart and got the fattest sob belt I could find. Burned a couple holes in each end (leather doesn't drill well) and done. Works great and cheaper than a hundred dollar guitar store leather strap.

As for strings, I use D'addario EPS-600 Med Jazz Electric Pro Steel Strings. Why? They last for months, rather than 1 week like the phosphor bronze strings. When I did use phos bronze, I used D'addario Acoustic mediums in the red package. Same gauge as the EPS-600 but in phos bronze. 13-56 I think? Light guage strings aren't going to produce the same tension on the cone and thus will result in a tamer volume and attack. I used lights for a long time and didn't know what I was missing.

Mr. B's seems ok, but expensive I think compared to Diamond Bottlenecks, which is in England. So your going to wait a couple weeks if you order from Diamond. If your in a quick fix, go to Sears and try out some craftsman deep sockets while your waiting for your slide if you have to order one. If you order from Diamond, tell him I sent you and he'll hook you up. I think it will be (well can't say prices on here) I already got verbally assaulted once for that. But it will be less than Mr. B's but take longer. Plus with Ian / Diamond you can tell him, I want it this long, this inside diameter, this outside diameter and this color. You can choose a notch /crescent at hand end. You can choose flat ends, rounded ends, beveled ends. You can literally go insane ordering a slide

Order 2 if you can, because one roll off the counter onto the tile and your done. Like 2 of mine in the past 2 months

Last edited by knuckle; 01-27-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsmyth9 View Post
Hi, Check out the Hot Rod resophonics. http://www.nationalguitar.com/catalog/hot-rod-steel Heard good things about them on the forums. 100% trade in offer for a year if you upgrade to a National. If you like resos you don't lose any money to upgrade and if you don't you'll lose very little and you can just chalk it up yo rental.
Regards, Brian
Yeah, I was going to mention that. Len is a good friend of mine. He's doing great things with imported resos and more importantly, he actually looks at them and has the best guy in the business setting them up. I think he actually orders them without frets and has Mark Schoenberg fret them? I could be wrong. But for the price, pfff.... your not going to get anything better at that price.

No shortage of pics in this thread. I want to ensure everyone is full of gas.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Question

Knuckle

What does the crescent cutout do for a person with a slide?

"Plus with Ian / Diamond you can tell him, I want it this long, this inside diameter, this outside diameter and this color. You can choose a notch /crescent at hand end. You can choose flat ends, rounded ends, beveled ends. You can literally go insane ordering a slide "

I've saw those notches on some slides lately and i don't have a clue.

thanks
daryl
Old 01-27-2011, 05:12 PM

Those photos are giving me resonator envy.
And I own a 1930 National Duolian.
I'm going to take a cold shower now.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Knuckle

What does the crescent cutout do for a person with a slide?

"Plus with Ian / Diamond you can tell him, I want it this long, this inside diameter, this outside diameter and this color. You can choose a notch /crescent at hand end. You can choose flat ends, rounded ends, beveled ends. You can literally go insane ordering a slide "

I've saw those notches on some slides lately and i don't have a clue.

thanks
daryl
The crescent allows you to bend your finger with the slide on it easier supposedly. I don't think it does much but looks cooler.

Plus the more resonators you own the better player you are too.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
HA! You went with a single cone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckle View Post
Man o man. You're in deep sheite man. Once you roll the slide over those strings you're going to want another one.
Knuckle is right, you know. I bet even now you know you're going to want a Tricone....

Quote:
I've got a couple of his slides...met him at a guitar show in Raleigh and bought one...then got another a couple weeks later at Fat Sounds. Nice slides...I just prefer brass.

I buggered up one of Mr. B's...its a cobalt blue. I took a Dremel to it to try to grind out the seam on the bottle neck because the seam bothered me when it hit the strings....and now the surface is rougher than it ought to be and I'm not sure how to fix it...don't know if it can be fixed or if I should give up and try a different one.

BTW...Mr B's in south South Carolina. Big difference.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Hey Dotneck

I just finalized the deal around 500pm today. I had been going back and forth and I got a good price on the NRP.

I almost got the M1 but last nite i kept coming back to the metal sound when i would watch youtube players. I guess its that "sound in my head" i'm searching for.

I was going to PM you tonite-just hadn't had much time until now.

thanks for your help and offer
daryl

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments