The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-12-2012, 06:55 PM

Smile Multi-effects Unit with Acoustic Amp?

Recently I posted for some help with a new (louder) acoustic amp, and thanks to forum feedback, I found a great deal on a new Marshall AS50D. I am very happy with both tone reproduction and volume. Now...

I am wanting to experiment with effects other than reverb and chorus on the cheap. In short, is there any reason that a Digitech RP-50 or similar unit will not work when connected through my effects loop, with an amp settings set to clean? I am interested in adding just a little compressor, phaser, trem or flanger.

I am using guitars with combo mic/USTs, plain USTs and one with a soundboard transducer.

Thanks in advance for your experience!
Old 07-13-2012, 03:07 AM

It shouldn't be a problem with the effects you are proposing to use. Just take care if you use effects that boost volume significantly (these are usually electric guitar type effects: lead, etc.).
Old 07-13-2012, 08:41 AM

Default Multi-effects Unit with Acoustic Amp

Thanks, Garthman!
Old 07-13-2012, 09:07 AM

In reality, there is no reason you couldn't use most acoustic amps as electric guitar amps with the right preamp. A lot of the concern about playing distorted sounds through an acoustic amp are based on people overdriving inputs on the amp and the resulting distortion can be damaging. However, as long as you don't overdrive any of the inputs, or the main amp, you really don't need to worry about what tones you play or what effects you use.

Have doubts? Plug in an iPod or CD player and listen to some heavy metal. The amp will handle it just fine. If it can handle recorded electric guitar, it can also handle live electric guitar, as long as you don't overdrive any of the amp components (input, power amp, etc.).

Bottom line: there shouldn't be any issues with running an electric guitar preamp into an acoustic amp, regardless of what kind of guitar you use, as long as you're careful to not overdrive any portion of the amp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification