The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-04-2012, 03:26 PM

Default Phil Jones Ag-100 or ???? for mic'd guitar

Hello to all!
I would truly appreciate any input as far as experience any of you have had with this amp or any other small/light acoustic amp (ie...Loudbox 100) using a mic for sound reinforcement. I have been using a Shure Beta 87a>Behringer Xenyx502>KRK Rokit5 (with decent results) to help amplify my classical guitar. I have a thesis recital coming up in a few weeks and am looking for a better setup than this (I only have about $350 to work with) since I will be playing a concerto accompanied by piano as well as play with a string quartet (separate piece). The KRK sound is nice for solo work but it has to be pushed to keep up with the quartet. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:50 PM

I've played with the Ag-100, and although I really liked the tone, the volume just isn't there. My suggestion would be to get a Yamaha MSR100 to replace your KRK Rokit5.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Eric Skye

I used the Loudbox 100 with various mics for a time with good results. Solid little amp or micro PA. It's mostly going to about placement, in terms of making it work. If it's a quiet recital it should be pretty easy.

It's beyond you're budget, but just FYI, now days I'm using the tiny little AER Alpha, and either a Telefunken M80 or AGK 214 microphone and I'm very happy. Super light and compact. Enough power for most of the things I do around town.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:59 AM

Thanks for the replies!

I'd love an AER amp, but they are out of my price range. It's extremely rare to see an Alpha on sale ( even more so one that is near my price range).
That Yamaha seems like a real nice option! It's about the size and weight of the LB100....definitely something for me to consider.
Thanks again
Old 07-05-2012, 01:02 PM

Default So I ended up getting the CUB....

Sorry to the few (very few, probably) who have been curious to know of the outcome of using the AG100 Cub in my particular concert setting.

Well...in as few words possible - Awesome!

In more words - I was extremely pleased with the sound quality this little amp provided. It was extremely faithful to the tone of my guitar, so much so, that when I asked after the concert what my professor and a few other guitarist friends (some gear snobs/whores) thought of the amp their response, astonishingly, was that they had not even noticed that I was using the amplification - they just figured that my guitar was loud enough...lol, that would have been impossible since the baby grand piano (Steinway) was more than enough to easily drown me out...not even to mention the string quartet!

Here is the recording of the recital, in case you would like to torture yourselves - the gear sounded great, but my playing....a whole 'nother sad story [even worse, the quartet and I only had two rehearsals and in each rehearsal, one member was always missing]
http://digitalcommons.fiu.edu/etd/640/

This was recorded using two Rode mics (NT5 I think) about 6 ft. away from the performers. Not the best but decent enough quality to show balance of instruments at different dynamic levels.

Finally, I must say....please don't judge my playing harshly; it was my final Masters recital and I was nervous as hell
Old 07-05-2012, 09:16 PM

The Cub is super clean and prolly was great where you used it...I can get mine a lil louder with a Bose T1 or a ZED 10 FX in front...
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-09-2012, 10:58 AM

Whoops, deleted my response as I forgot you were using it mic'd.

Last edited by cybercat; 07-09-2012 at 11:21 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification