The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-05-2024, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
4.8 epicenter in New Jersey, surprised at how strong it was here, 168 miles away?
And I'm like 175 miles away, was wide awake, and felt nothing. But I have felt them before, so it's not like I am insensitive like my wife sometimes says.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-05-2024, 08:24 PM

Yeah, this morning was extra special up in my office on 9th and 44th in NYC. My wife, 70 miles North at the time texts me to say she thinks we had an earthquake. Lol, I said, uh, yeah, about that...
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 04-06-2024, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

I experienced an earthquake of that size once in California. Being from tornado country I'll take a tornado over an earthquake anytime. The earthquake made me feel like I didn't have control over anything. I can deal with tornados without a thought.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 04-06-2024, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

July 1980, Sharpsburg Kentucky. 5.3 and we lived very near the epicenter. So many strange things occurred during this.

I was at home with my high school girlfriend and we took my big mutt dog named Bear on a walk across a couple hills to my great uncle's farm where he had a two acre pond that was fenced off all the way around to keep the cows out. I had my left foot on the bottom fence wire and my left hand holding a fence post and we were just watching the water and the cows mosey around on the other side of the pond.

With no warning Bear's ears perked and with a yip he turned and bolted back toward the house.

I remember thinking "what the......"

Almost immediately we heard a sound similar to thunder but different. It was stronger, deeper and more grounded like an explosion.

At this point the cows became vocal. They started to moo and move about like a fox was running around trying to nip their legs.

Here's where it is really wierd. As I looked off toward the rumble, I could see the ground moving in an out of focus way. This area of Kentucky has rolling hills that just roam on and on away from you and I could see the movement rolling over each hill toward our direction.

Within seconds, the fence posts at the end of the pond toward the rolling and rumble began to sway back and forth and this also moved with a progression towards us.

The pond also acted strangely. The surface began to bubble and act like boiling water in unison with the fence post movement. In other words, it's like and underground force that was moving in a definitive straight line was moving toward us and affecting everything on the surface as it moved.

All the while, the cows grew louder and began to really jump, buck and move about like they were walking on hot coals and didn't want their hooves burned.

Once the swaying fence and bubbling pond reached where we were standing the ground was moving. Slightly up and down but even more like standing on a moving hay wagon while it is rolling along a bumpy field behind a tractor.

I actually watched the hills roll past us and then on and on in the distance.

My immediate reaction was that a major underground gas pipe had blown up. It was the only thing my 16 year old mind could imagine.

There was a lot of minor damage in an area of about four or five counties in that area including Bath, Montgomery and others. We had aftershocks for weeks and our tiny little town was crawling with science folk from several different agencies. It was a few weeks later that we discovered that we were very near the epicenter. Wierd feeling that I will never forget.
Old 04-06-2024, 02:49 PM

Real but never felt it.
Old 04-07-2024, 05:56 AM

If you follow the path of the last total eclipse, and this one tomorrow, you'll notice they form an X, as in X marks the spot, pretty much over the New Madrid Faultline.

That's weird.....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 04-09-2024, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

I was in the East San Francisco bay for the 1989 Loma Prieta quake. I lived in a second story apartment. I was reading when it hit. I was sitting in our living room reading at the time, and the first thing I noticed was the print wobbling around making me nauseated. Then I noticed the utility poles across the street waving around like a sapling in a hurricane. About that time, I felt/heard a loud bang and decided it was timer to gather up the cats and go. Well, the cats had other ideas. They ducked under the bed and were NOT going to be persuaded to come out. By this time, the shaking had settled down and there were people out in the parking lot in various degrees of panic.

The aftermath was bad. A part of 580 thru Oakland collapsed trapping and killing a lot of people. I was a real mess that took several years of rebuilding to recover.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
If you follow the path of the last total eclipse, and this one tomorrow, you'll notice they form an X, as in X marks the spot, pretty much over the New Madrid Faultline.

That's weird.....
That is strange.

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEatla...2001-25T-2.GIF
Old 04-09-2024, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post

That's weird.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post
What's strange about it? Seems to me like random human pattern recognition. Multiple crosses over the Pacific, one in the Arctic, one in Siberia, one over Angola, none of those are weird? What does a tectonic fault have to do with shadows from astronomical objects separated by years or decades?

Last edited by Dirk Hofman; 04-09-2024 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-09-2024, 11:50 AM

The Xes mark alien landing sites.
Old 04-09-2024, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
What's strange about it? Seems to me like random human pattern recognition. Multiple crosses over the Pacific, one in the Arctic, one in Siberia, one over Angola, none of those are weird? What does a tectonic fault have to do with shadows from astronomical objects separated by years or decades?
Nothing to do with tectonics (that I'm aware of). It's a strange COINCIDENCE. There. Does that make you feel better about randomness and human pattern recognition? Yes, it's strange to think of it.
Old 04-09-2024, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's a strange COINCIDENCE. There. Does that make you feel better about randomness and human pattern recognition? Yes, it's strange to think of it.
Understood. Still don't get what's strange about it or why such a...coincidence would be notable. Or why all the others aren't...

Old 04-09-2024, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's a strange COINCIDENCE. There. Does that make you feel better about randomness and human pattern recognition? Yes, it's strange to think of it.
Ok..it's a coincidence...which implies it has some meaning to the viewer, even for unrelated events. No idea what that would be in this case.

Last edited by Dirk Hofman; 04-09-2024 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-09-2024, 01:21 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
The Xes mark alien landing sites.
Everyone please wear proper attire when reviewing the data.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg (55.6 KB, 32 views)

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-11-2024, 05:28 PM

If it’s any comfort to you all, we had a 4.0 earthquake in Fl in Feb. Until then I assumed it was a ride at Universal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic