The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-13-2018, 05:29 PM

Default Help! Neck heel crack repair

Hi all! I've been checking this beautiful classical Giannini guitar from 1980, I've saw the guitar today and cancelled the deal because of this damage (posting pictures here). The seller later offered to lower the price and could bring me the guitar tomorrow.

I don't know how could I repair that because I've never done such a thing. I've glued bridges successfully, though.

From what I could see today and on the pictures below, the crack is on the neck heel. But it also expands to part of the fretboard and the top. One of the frets is outrageously high but I think it's because of the fretboard being lifted away from the neck.

I talked to a friend and showed him the pictures. He told me it's a titebond and clamping repair. What do you guys think? Is it repairable?

Thanks a million in advance, I appreciate your help.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:32 PM

Pretty clean looking break, yes glue and clamps should suffice, no need to pull the neck off

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 09-13-2018, 05:36 PM

Thanks for such a quick reply! But what about the crack on the fretboard and on the side, near the top? Clamp it as well?

What I'm worried is it "seems" to be a glue and clamp repair, but I'm worried about playability after it's done. And also, of course, durability of the repair.

Funny is that I inspected the guitar today and it didn't look as it has fallen or such, I wonder why would the neck separate like that.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:50 PM

The neck has taken an impact near the headstock, that is the only way a break like that can occur, the neck is already glued together as part of the manufacturing process, so glue is not an issue.

Yes you may need some fretwork done after repair, but that is not a big deal

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 09-13-2018, 07:13 PM

Great, thanks for the information! I guess that, according to what you said, the guitar probably fell down and hit the headstock on its back, opposite the fretboard.

So where should I place the clamp? On the fretboard (obviously) right above the heel or should it be a little towards the headstock, around the 10th fret?

So its safe to say it's repairable, right? Just wondering what could go wrong.... Or if this sort of repair is something simple like glueing a bridge or replacing nuts ans tuners.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:01 PM

I recommend taking it to a local luthier, they will steam the joint to make sure no dirt is inside, they will align any loose fibres and then clamp and glue.

If you have not repaired before, not IMO the best thing to start with, its not hard, but get it wrong and its hard to fix the mess afterwards

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair