The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-05-2018, 12:47 PM

Default When "Jam Night" just doesn't float your boat...

So, I learned something about myself recently.

Was asked to sit in with an established band on their "jam" or "experimental" night–a practice session specifically intended to spice up their routine, introduce new songs, or just noodle around and work on...whatevs.

Sounded like a good idea, and I like to play, so what the heck.

I did not have a good time. Despite everyone being cool and respectful and all the things you'd want them to be, I learned that I simply do NOT like to get together to jam. I like to WORK and come in knowing that we're going to workshop a certain number of songs and do it in a really focused manner. I think I realized this during our third extended blues jam in E.

On the plus side, my Mesa 5:35 combo sounded REALLY good in that practice space and I had no problem cutting through.

What have YOU learned about yourself and playing with others?

Last edited by Sombras; 09-05-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombras View Post

What have YOU learned about yourself and playing with others?
That I'm not nearly as good as I think I am.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:41 PM

like you, i learn some good things and some not so good. just like life itself.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 09-05-2018, 02:13 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I like working with people who play nice. I hate undercurrents of jealousy or competition. When those undercurrents are there I'm just counting down to the load-out. By contrast, I used to play with this one player where he and I competed to be the most laid back. "Your solo." "No, yours." "No, I insist." That was hilarious and fun! The trick is to hand it off to the other guy and then close your eyes so you can't take a cue. I learned it from him.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-05-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
............I learned that I simply do NOT like to get together to jam......

On the plus side, my Mesa 5:35 combo sounded REALLY good in that practice space and I had no problem cutting through.
I hate it as well; I have previously arrived at the same conclusion as you describe.

....except I still seem to have a lot of problem "cutting through"....
Old 09-05-2018, 04:18 PM

Just curious, did you not like the jam because you thought you were going to be working on songs? I LIKE jams but I get extremely frustrated when a jam breaks out when I thought we were there to practice. Grrr...

If I know we're just going to jam, bring it on!
Old 09-05-2018, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

..three extended blues jams in E would bore many players....not all jams are like that and perhaps if the jams were more diverse and challenging you would enjoy them more...I know I would

...I like to work songs into shape more than straight up jamming as a rule...it helps lay the foundation for future get togethers and gives a player something to work on when they go home..

Last edited by J Patrick; 09-06-2018 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Musicians that are creative and have a firm grasp of musicianship can create amazing music that lifts the room and transcends to another level. And not all really good musicians are good at jamming. That being said song players that riff all over a twelve bar blues in not worth your time.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-05-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
...What have YOU learned about yourself and playing with others?
When our band gets together for twice-weekly rehearsals our primary focus is learning new material, fine-tuning work-in-progress, and keeping our regular set list tight - that said, we'll pull something out of the blue(s) every do often just for the heluvit...

Individually and collectively, we're regular fixtures at local jams/song circles/open mics - made a bunch of new friends and done some valuable networking in the process...

We all enjoy playing with others - whatever the ability level, whatever the context, whatever the venue; the way we see it, if we're not learning we're teaching - and, speaking from experience, bringing some chord substitutions and jazz-influenced lead work might have taken that monotonous blues jam in a totally different direction...
Old 09-05-2018, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I like working with people who play nice. I hate undercurrents of jealousy or competition. When those undercurrents are there I'm just counting down to the load-out. By contrast, I used to play with this one player where he and I competed to be the most laid back. "Your solo." "No, yours." "No, I insist." That was hilarious and fun! The trick is to hand it off to the other guy and then close your eyes so you can't take a cue. I learned it from him.

Bob
And I will take my cue from you Bob. Consider this one stolen.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:34 AM

Extended blues jams - even switching keys - isn't my thing either. :"your turn for a lead" over and over and over and over and... Some people love it = to each their own.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-06-2018, 08:05 AM

My band has been together for years, and our at rehearsals we couldn't possibly play all the tunes we know. We'd need quite a few hours for that. So as a result, we work on stuff we think needs work, or stuff we need to play so we don't forget it. Not much time for jamming, but every now and then we'll take one of our arrangements out for ride in a new direction and see where it goes. And since we all sing, we'll also riff on the vocals. The cool thing about being together so long is that we don't have to discuss it beforehand - it happens with just a nod or a glance and we're off. That's the kind of jamming I like. I don't think I'd do well at an open mic or jam night at the local pub.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:23 AM

My experience is the opposite of yours.

My best friend comes over just about every week and jams with my wife and I. The jamming is song based and we all play multiple instruments so we can switch up a lot if we feel like it. We usually play electric but 20-30% of the time we pull out acoustics too. My wife and I have about 125 songs to grab from and he brings another 50 or so of his own.

We DO NOT play just instrumentals in the same key, that wouldn't suit me either. It is not unusual for some songs to become very Allman-esque with extended solos for everyone.

We have an extremely diverse group of musical styles we all like. He is a superior electric player to me so I always learn something. We will often repeat songs to make them solid, but just as often someone will pull out an oddball, fun song to play like Stranglehold.

If it wasn't fun, we just wouldn't do it. My wife and I have enough in the way of focused practice and these loose jams can be a blast for us.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-06-2018, 03:01 PM

I enjoy getting up and spontaneously jamming/improvising with others no matter the genre generally if the opportunity presents nearly as much as I do playing by myself. (Songs or simply noodling). Having said that, it has been some time. (Informally or formally in a playing songs which I don't really miss all that much).
Old 09-07-2018, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

I am more like you; I want to work toward a complete song and set list. I play with a band that was put together by a local "School of Rock" kind of music school and we do that. We meet on Tuesday evenings and work on a set list, and we get a half dozen or so opportunities to perform each year. That has been great. As a result, I've added some lead work to my rhythm guitar, learned more about how to accompany singers and not overpower my other band members, have a lot more practice at vocal harmony, and now play bass. This has been a faster track to growth as a musician.

I also play in an acoustic duo, sometimes with a keyboard added in, and we do the same, working on the arrangements with a "here's how we're going to perform this song" attitude. Whether we're going to do a few songs at an open mic or two hours at a gig, this is what I like to do.

That doesn't mean I don't like sitting with a friend or two, opening a songbook or app and trying to play through something we all might know, but that's not something I want to do that often. It's much more enjoyable for me to work with a steady group and have specific goals in mind.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars