The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-12-2018, 08:53 AM

Default Help ID a 60's Archtop Glen Campbell Used in Studio

Good Morning,

My name is Jay Kantor and I am the co-owner/admin of www.glencampbellforums.com. I have attempted to document all the guitars Glen used often throughout his life and career on the forum. A guitar that Glen is only seen using in the studio, sometime mid-1968, is shown in the attached photos. It appears that Glen used it during a session where he may have been laying down tracks for the Wichita Lineman album, as well as the Bobbie Gentry album.

I feel it is an acoustic arch-top that someone attached a pickup to. For the life of me...I cannot find another guitar that has that tailpiece, fret markers or headstock...to get a start on figuring out what make or model it is. I was wondering if someone here might give me some direction.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you very much,
jay kantor

Last edited by jkantor1312; 08-12-2018 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Needed to add pics
Old 08-12-2018, 09:45 AM

Hi Jay,

That looks like a Bill Barker guitar with a floating DeArmond pickup.

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guit...fferences.html
Old 08-12-2018, 10:07 AM

Oh my...that was quick!

That is exactly what it is! And they...for some reason, taped the name off!
The pickup has that little rod running along the fretboard, the fret markers, the tailpiece....everything matches up!

Bluemonk...thank you very much for sharing this with me. That thread is very interesting...I will look further into these guitars.

I would imagine this one belonged to Capitol Records or the studio they were in. I don't ever recall Glen, in any other photos from that era, with this particular guitar.

Thanks again...so very much!
jay
Old 08-12-2018, 10:18 AM

If you look at the similar (might be identical) guitar in the link you see that what looks like a taped off logo on the Glen guitar is actually a bound and engraved logo plate. Really nice to see pictures of Glen at work in the studio.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:47 AM

This is kind of fun...

Now that I can narrow the guitar down, it has been interesting in reading about and looking at these Barker guitars over the years of production. I found one with, what appears to be, the same head adornments (nameplate, square plaque between the tuners and bell-shaped TRC), same fret markers, same tailpiece. The pictures show a little more of a darker tobacco burst, but maybe that is the original lighting or time (exposure) lightening up the soundboard this example from 63.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops