The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-09-2018, 01:29 PM

Default Pick vs. Fingers

I have been mainly an acoustic player for 35 years strumming and finger picking chord shapes mostly. Lately I have been watching several on line video sources learning how to handle my new LP Studio and am finding that the pick is not my friend.

I know that Lindsey Buckingham uses finger picking on the electric guitar and I have watched several videos of Derek Trucks and John Mayer also use their fingers.

I think my fingers on the fretboard will develop faster than a pick in the right hand.

Has anyone ditched the pick in favor of the fingers for electric playing and found it more convenient?

Thank you for any insight.

CA
1967 Harmony H162
Very Old Classical
Taylor GC8
Taylor 322ce
1981 Alvarez Yairi DY53
1986 Alvarez Yari DY47
1988 Alvarez Yairi DY80 12 String
1992 Alvarez Yari DY91
1992 Alvarez Yairi WY-1K
Larrivée L-03R 12
Old 05-09-2018, 01:42 PM

Why not use both? Check out hybrid picking. It's not that hard to pick up, I taught myself back when I was 16. I thought, of course, at the time, that I had invented something

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-09-2018, 02:17 PM

Check out Richie Kotzen. He plays just about anything on the electric guitar and never uses a pick.

https://youtu.be/WDiDhiNB3vo
Old 05-09-2018, 02:27 PM

Depends on what you want to do. It is quite challenging to get the same speed and clarity on faster passages with fingers as with a pick. Probably why, for every Jeff Beck, there are dozens of equally great players who only use a pick.

Also, certain fingerpicking techniques don't translate well to electric.

The biggest thing you will lose is easy control over attack. If that is important, either use a pick or spend a LOT of time developing the same facility with fingers.

If you're playing a jazz-influenced style, it can often work well, as you can get a piano-like approach that is still somewhat unique and fresh. On the other hand, playing more rock-influenced styles might be frustrating.

Personally, I've worked too hard on picking techniques to ever give them up, although I spend a lot of time doing hybrid picking.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-09-2018, 02:51 PM

I almost always use a pick with an electric guitar and almost always just use fingers with the acoustic guitar. IDK why but it always felt funny to me to finger pick the electric. I'd say just go with what ever feels right.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

I use both, often in the same song. When I don't want the pick, I palm it. On some songs, e.g., Sultans of Swing, I use bare fingers. But for some heavier rock stuff, I like the pick, particularly to elicit pinch harmonics. It's good to be skilled in both.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:44 PM

as usual, it just depends. i'll use fingers and/or a pick on electric and acoustic. mostly what i feel like playing.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 05-09-2018, 06:34 PM

There is no right or wrong, it's what is best for you but you may be limited by your choices though.

For me it depends.

I generally use a pick on my electrics for both rhythm and lead, but feel very comfortable hybrid picking with a metal fingerpick on my middle finger (James Burton trick) if the song's tempo/jam calls for it. (I'm heavily influenced by a lot of the country guitarists but I wouldn't call myself a chicken picker). Having said all that, my Telecaster can also inspire me to play simple banjo roll type rhythm and my Samick Royale semi inspires me to loosely Travis pick, using a plastic thumb pick and metal fingerpicks for both.

And speaking of hybrid picking .... only after I mastered a combination of banjo rolls, hammer on and pull-off techniques which are now second nature was I able to become a really good hybrid picker and indeed lead player.

Again, good luck!
Old 05-09-2018, 11:55 PM

There's no particular reason not to play electric with your fingers. Jeff Beck and Mark Knopfler do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23KHLW2dw_o

For me, some things come easier with fingers, and others with a pick.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-10-2018, 12:26 AM

I play with fingers on both, and find that the technique translates fine.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:43 AM
Charter Member

Pick and fingers for me. I forced myself to halfway learn both when I was young and I'm glad I did. Almost always I use a pick along with my middle and ring fingers.

Even the greats who mostly use their fingers can use a pick if they want to, I would guess. Maybe not all of them, but most.

I see no reason not to try and learn both, but ultimately it is your playing and only you know what works best for you.

Last edited by Pickcity; 05-10-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:49 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I play with both. For the really fast stuff nothing except a pick will do. But for some of the slower, melodic stuff the fingers give me a wider range of picking articulation than a pick can.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-10-2018, 11:13 AM

Check out Jeff Beck "Live at Ronnie Scott's"...very well done video and Beck's playing is an electric finger-style clinic!
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 05-10-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
The biggest thing you will lose is easy control over attack. If that is important, either use a pick or spend a LOT of time developing the same facility with fingers.
Johnny Winter comes to mind. Though he did use a thumbpick.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolarrow View Post
I have been mainly an acoustic player for 35 years strumming and finger picking chord shapes mostly. Lately I have been watching several on line video sources learning how to handle my new LP Studio and am finding that the pick is not my friend.

I know that Lindsey Buckingham uses finger picking on the electric guitar and I have watched several videos of Derek Trucks and John Mayer also use their fingers.

I think my fingers on the fretboard will develop faster than a pick in the right hand.

Has anyone ditched the pick in favor of the fingers for electric playing and found it more convenient?

Thank you for any insight.

CA

I have been fingerpicking on the electric guitar for years now. I played with a pick for years but you can do so much more with fingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kql475UcWt4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars