The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-31-2019, 11:35 AM
Guest 33123

Default for you engineering types - setup log book

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering if any of you do this. I'm an engineer by training and I have a career in the field. While my career choice does not define me it does help explain me at times so keep this in mind.

Over the years I have acquired all the tools needed to do a guitar setup like a 64ths" graded metal ruler, precision straight edge, feeler gauges, nut files and a stack of sandpaper. I also have Dan Erlewine's terrific book Guitar Player Repair Guide which along with instructions on how to setup a guitar it contains factory specs for Martin and Gibson acoustics.

About 10 years ago my dear wife bought me a bunch of small log books thinking I'd find some use for them. And guess what, I did! In it I keep stats of each guitar setup over time. The log for each guitar contains the guitar name, the date and measurements for relief at the 7th fret, string height at the 12th fret for low and high Es and string height at the 1st fret for low and high Es. I update this log about every 6 months or so. I keep this info in the book because while I'm lucky to have 4 guitars I can't keep all this information for 4 guitars in my head. The log book lives in my setup tool box.

I find keeping track of this information helps me eliminate the subjective response to the current setup on each guitar. If something doesn't look right or feel right I can get out the tools and compare the current setup to the entry in my log book. That way I have objective data and then I'll know if something is out of spec or if it's just me that day.

I know some of you will be shaking your heads at me and are eager to flame away but be nice. Maybe some of you out there might think this is something cool that will work for you too.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 04-01-2019 at 10:00 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-31-2019, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

I can appreciate this. I keep an Excel file of strings that I use (accountant's version of your log books )

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-31-2019, 11:52 AM

Engineering types do have a tendency to set up log books. When there is something that can be tabulated (Logged) Excel Spreadsheet comes to mind immediately.

I knew a mechanic (a very savvy computer literate mechanic)

That set up his entire Automobile Repair Shop on an Excel Spreadsheet. Inventory Parts, Bills, Automobile History.

And the guy was 30 years my senior, probably 70 years old at the time, and that was over 20 years ago.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:52 AM

I don't do it but I can understand why you find it helpful.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:10 PM

If I was really into measurements and humidity, time of the season and such, I would definitely be measuring action and writing this down.

I'm not that technically capable, so the only thing I could do is keep track of when a guitar sounds good on what days, what the temperature was maybe, or some other sort of interesting observable fact.

Truth be told, the only thing I used Excel Spreadsheets for anything guitar related was to keep track of the guitars I had secured and logged all my serial numbers by model and what not.

Only the limitation of the mind is what you can do with computer technology and software these days. It is truly amazing, and lots of times, overwhelming. When technology gets overwhelming, there's where the line is drawn, and I take out one of my guitars and just concentrate on playing.

H102
Old 03-31-2019, 12:19 PM
Guest 33123

Thanks for the support guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonics102 View Post
When technology gets overwhelming, there's where the line is drawn, and I take out one of my guitars and just concentrate on playing.
Good point but I actually find keeping logs helps me stop stressing over the setups and allows me to just focus on making music.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:23 PM

J-Doug, your taking my response out of context.

I said IF technology overwhelms you, don't do it.

If it doesn't overwhelm you, go for it.

H102
Old 03-31-2019, 12:31 PM

You mean like this:

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-31-2019, 12:48 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
You mean like this:

Now we're talking!
Old 03-31-2019, 01:22 PM

I keep 8 log books currently. They cover the maintenance on 4 cars, capture each of my dives (SCUBA), maintenance on my house, a running history of all the guitars I've had and their respective work/costs (if you value your pride, don't do this one), and details of infractions I've observed and reported (FAA) over my career as an aircraft mechanic inspector. Those are physical records so I can initial and date each entry. They're not fancy pre-printed pages like a pilot's flight log. They're spiral binders with hand printed headings over columns of pertinent topics.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:45 PM

As an engineer myself, the appeal of data is understandable J-Doug. If the setup seems to be changing, my first thoughts are a) is it me? and b) is it changing humidity? I have made careful measurements of set up parameters to duplicate a setup, or to evaluate a new guitar, but it is not something that is routinely tracked.

For the most part, my logbooks are for flight time, scuba dives, and scores for shooting matches.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I can appreciate this. I keep an Excel file of strings that I use (accountant's version of your log books )
I take a picture of the guitar and the strings.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-31-2019, 06:13 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
If the setup seems to be changing, my first thoughts are a) is it me? and b) is it changing humidity?
Excellent advice. This is something to keep in mind when I am recording my measurements. Maybe I should start logging this as well!
Old 03-31-2019, 06:20 PM

Adding indoor RH is just another column in the log, so easily done. What I cannot figure out is why something plays perfectly one day and I get all fumble-fingered the next day?? And how to log THAT?
Old 04-01-2019, 01:34 AM
Charter Member

I’m another engineer who uses Excel to record history for each guitar, similar to the example shown by Jonfields45, but each guitar ‘grouped’. I like numbers!

I agree with the comment from Earl49 and others as well that if anything it takes away any worries when a guitar feels like it has changed - me or the guitar?

I regularly record relief and action 6th and 12th, RH, strings, adjustments made, etc. I have a set of base data that includes 1st fret clearances, action across strings, but don’t feel the need to keep checking this.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion