The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-11-2018, 09:43 PM

One person's unplayable instrument is another's playable instrument. I do not know of any percentages but I will agree you can bs other parts of the build and make a pretty guitar but if the fretboard does not play nice with the strings the strings win. As in they will be straight in tension, if anything is crooked it will be the frets/board as far as the strings are concerned.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:15 AM

I found it very difficult still I learned so much about the guitar from the experience. So I would say dont do it for a guitar but for the education if you are a guitar lover. Many people are just players so they have a passing interest in guitar but if you are a guitar fanatic then build one with no hope of playing it. That being so it doesnt matter if you start from scratch or not though your chances of getting a guitar out of it go up enormously with a kit.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:45 AM

Look at some of the build threads in the build and repair section, there's quite a few builds by beginners. Most of them do complete the instrument, and many of them are quite good. But it isn't easy, and does require some dedication. And if you do finish the first one, you probably will not be able to stop with just one.
et al
Old 09-12-2018, 12:33 PM

" TruckJohn says that less than 10% of first time builders get to a playable instrument." .....I don't know how you get the statistics for a statement like that. I've built several, and even though none has come out perfect, they have all been quite playable. My opinion is this: if a person takes reasonable care, pays attention to detail, and has the patience needed to slow down - then there is no reason they can't make a good sounding, good playing guitar. It won't be perfect, it may not blow that D28 authentic out of the water, but it'll be good. And to me there's not much thats more satisfying than taking a stack of wood, and turning it into a guitar - one that you made!
Old 09-12-2018, 01:37 PM

As Rodger says above, read some of the build threads here in the Build and Repair section. I managed to get a large proportion of what I would have to do sorted in my head before building my first guitar by reading plenty of these threads.
My first guitar came out great and the second and third are even better.
You don't have to set a deadline, just take as long as it takes. If you are building a kit you probably don't even need a significant number of tools.
Personally I didn't start with a kit, I started by assembling a 'partscaster' from random parts I bought on ebay and around the web, then I built a solidbody bass from scratch and by then was addicted and moved over to acoustics. For me a kit wouldn't have been the right way but I do think its a great way to build a guitar, especially a first build due to the less complicated nature of it. If you've been considering a kit build, its probably the right option
Old 09-12-2018, 05:46 PM

I've built 6 now, and although the cosmetics get better one by one, the first guitar plays and sounds great and looks acceptable.

I got all the books, but Robbie Obrien's video course is what really made things click for me. His explanations are great and you see him performing every single process in building and finishing a guitar. I'd advise anyone starting a guitar to purchase his course as the first expenditure.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Call John Hall at Blues Creek Guitars in Heglin, PA. He acquires materials from many of his kits directly from Martin and also offers a one week course in his shop where he walks you through the process. Otherwise, he does offer advice over at the Kit Guitars Forum in addition to a YouTube channel with many instructional videos.
I second John Hall at Blues Creek Guitars in Hegins, PA. I took the one week course from him and just got my OM with red spurce over mahogany last week. Its a wonderful sounding guitar and I learned so much. He is always available to answer questions and I have a second guitar kit (D-18) from him I will be starting soon. Give him a call - he will help you. If I do any more kits I will be purchasing from him.

Blues Creek OM I built
Martin D-15M
Martin D12X1
Guild D-40 Traditional
Guild D-55
Alvarez MPA70
Alvarez AFA1965
1968 Harmony Sovereign H1260
Fender Modern Player Plus Telecaster
Fender 2019 American Performer Surf Green HS Telecaster
Gold Tone Beard Resonator
Old 09-13-2018, 09:14 AM

For a first instrument I would say go for a bolt on neck. If when the strings on you need to make a major adjustment to the neck angle it is doable without too much grief. If the fretboard is not straight and your fret height is all over the map you can remove the frets and re-sand the fretboard and re-fret. If the fretboard is beyond help it could always be removed and another one put on. Almost anything that ails a guitar can be fixed.

As said, check out the build threads, half the battle is seeing how to do an operation. Between that I also watched many of the 100's of build videos that people put up on Youtube. As long as you are not a complete klutz (my old boss comes to mind, if he picks up a tool there is going to be blood) most people can put together an instrument. From a refined kit on back to cutting down a tree and processing your wood is a big range where different different people will feel comfortable with their skill set. With people on either end of that range all will be learning things they did not know before. Building a guitar has its own peculiarities, the second is always easier.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
advice, first build, kit