The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-04-2013, 10:54 PM

Exclamation New Guitar for myself as gift, Budget: MAX $1800

So, as the title suggests I'm on the lookout for my next guitar which is quite a large step for me.

So here's some background:
- I mostly strum (say 80%?) of the time because I spend a lot of
time at Church helping the worship team.
- However, I love to incorporate finger-style into some of the
quieter parts to add to the dynamic diversity.
- Important! most of my playing is in a live setting thus I am
considering dropping my budget to around 1,600 to spend the other 200
on preamps, compressor, and/or a replacement pickup.
I need my live sound to be top notch.

BUDGET: 1,800 MAX or 1,600 with 200 to spend on helping the tone of the amplified sound.

I currently own a Taylor 114ce which has aged beautifully (top only because the back and sides are not solid wood unfortunately) which has disappointingly terrible standard piezo pickups.

I was very vague on this one... I have a deep rooted hatred (nah not that severe), I just really don't like the "Taylor" sound anymore it doesn't have the appeal to my ears it had 5 years ago.

My favorite guitar that I have played thus far is my friend's Larrivee D-03 which was just beautiful when played acoustically. The pickups were pretty
darn bad too on the Larrivee unfortunately.

If anyone can help point me in a good direction as to what kinds of pickups I should be looking for that would be great.

Last edited by dk3919; 02-05-2013 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Added new information.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 PM

i would look at the takamine line, i understand they have one of the best pickups and pre-amps on board. the guitars themselves are very good for the money.
i don't have one presently but have in the past.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:06 PM

Taylor 310e or 410e.

Should still have a bit left over for some of the other goodies you mentioned. If you want to try something aside from Taylor, a D-15M with a pickup added would be a sweet guitar too.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocmcook View Post
i would look at the takamine line, i understand they have one of the best pickups and pre-amps on board. the guitars themselves are very good for the money.
i don't have one presently but have in the past.
Will do. I have played another friend's Takamine and can testify to a great GREAT pickup system. However, acoustically they were quite lacking =\ I hope this guitar to really be a step up from my 114ce thus, it should be significantly "better".

But thanks for your suggestion will definitely look!
Old 02-04-2013, 11:10 PM

A used rosewood "Webber Roundbody" I have used them in worship for years. It's a lotta guitar for the money!
Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner
‘96 Gibson J-100
Old 02-04-2013, 11:25 PM
Charter Member

i don't know anything about this, but i love the top and it sounds like a good deal, plus the shop has a good reputation and should be able to tell you everything about it-and they have a return policy-just make sure it works for used and find out exactly what it is.

http://davesguitar.com/products/taylor/410-03/

leaves a lot of $ left in your pocket too

d
Old 02-04-2013, 11:32 PM

I'd be looking at a used Taylor 316ce or 416ce, which would leave you $200 to $400 to spend on extra pickup stuff.

The x16 Grand Symphony body gives you lots of headroom for strumming but still responds well to fingerpicking, and the newest 9v ES is easy to augment with additional electronics (K4, pedals, etc). Plus you don't have to worry about feedback in live settings.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:34 PM

If you like your friend's D-03, why not get one of your own? Or better yet, get a D-02 which is essentially the same guitar for less money. The differences are very minor, and you could have quite a bit left over for an aftermarket pickup, sound gear, etc. If you're thinking about doing some fingerpicking also look at the Larrivee L body shape (ie, L-03 or L-02) since they are very versatile guitars.

For pickups, I would suggest looking at LR Baggs. I have heard only good things about the Anthem. I don't own one, but I've played 2 guitars that had the Anthem SL installed and they both sounded amazing. Baggs just released a new pickup called the Lyric that looks similar to the Anthem. From what I've read, it's supposed to be really good.

Last edited by dkwan9; 02-05-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:37 PM

Larrivee D-05 and add a K&K pure mini picup and pre-amp.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-04-2013, 11:47 PM

Taylor 414ce just awesome its around 1600 but you have to go with agf sponsors like la guitar sales,, guitar rodeo, My favorite Guitars anyway else outside of agf sponsor is 1990 a fantastic guitar with a pure sound that can handle anything and everything. Trust
Old 02-05-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Taylor 310e or 410e.

Should still have a bit left over for some of the other goodies you mentioned. If you want to try something aside from Taylor, a D-15M with a pickup added would be a sweet guitar too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
i don't know anything about this, but i love the top and it sounds like a good deal, plus the shop has a good reputation and should be able to tell you everything about it-and they have a return policy-just make sure it works for used and find out exactly what it is.

http://davesguitar.com/products/taylor/410-03/

leaves a lot of $ left in your pocket too

d
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS View Post
I'd be looking at a used Taylor 316ce or 416ce, which would leave you $200 to $400 to spend on extra pickup stuff.

The x16 Grand Symphony body gives you lots of headroom for strumming but still responds well to fingerpicking, and the newest 9v ES is easy to augment with additional electronics (K4, pedals, etc). Plus you don't have to worry about feedback in live settings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwan9 View Post
If you already like the Taylor sound, the next logical step up from a 114ce would be a 314ce (or a 314e if you want to save a bit and don't need the cutaway; or a 314 if you want to put in the pickup of your choice).

If you like your friend's D-03, why not get one of your own? Or better yet, get a D-02 which is essentially the same guitar for less money. The differences are very minor, and you could have quite a bit left over for an aftermarket pickup, sound gear, etc. If you're thinking about doing some fingerpicking also look at the Larrivee L body shape (ie, L-03 or L-02) since they are very versatile guitars.

For pickups, I would suggest looking at LR Baggs. I have heard only good things about the Anthem. I don't own one, but I've played 2 guitars that had the Anthem SL installed and they both sounded amazing. Baggs just released a new pickup called the Lyric that looks similar to the Anthem. From what I've read, it's supposed to be really good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary View Post
Taylor 414ce just awesome its around 1600 but you have to go with agf sponsors like la guitar sales,, guitar rodeo, My favorite Guitars anyway else outside of agf sponsor is 1990 a fantastic guitar with a pure sound that can handle anything and everything. Trust
Hey guys I really really appreciate you taking the time to respond, and I learned a lot from your responses. But I forgot (SORRY hahaha) to say specifically (which is now changed) that I really dislike the sound of my Taylor and am definitely 100% looking to a new brand for my next guitar.

HOWEVER, I'll definitely be doing a couple things that I learned:

a) L.R. Baggs Anthem / the like. I'll research into this a bit more.

b) There is a newer (than mine) ES system which I'll also look into.

c) There are such things as AGF sponsors (hahaha yes I am a noob to this amazing community!)

d) The whole buy a pure acoustic guitar then add pickups of my own idea.
With the aforementioned point "d" can someone help me in terms of prices and whatnot? I have no idea if something will be very expensive and it sounds really interesting. Also, I'll look up the differences in sound between the L and D because the L really looks promising.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Larrivee D-05 and add a K&K pure mini picup and pre-amp.
I've heard amazing things about K&K Pickups, I believe Andy Mckee uses one! (And I'm sure MANY other prominent guitarists).

But their site is a bit ... dense in the terminology and I don't quite know the differences between the pickups. Can you explain why you recommend the K&K Pure Mini as opposed to any of the other pickups that K&K sell?

Thank you for your quick response!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicktone View Post
A used rosewood "Webber Roundbody" I have used them in worship for years. It's a lotta guitar for the money!
Sounds awesome. I've heard/seen only one Webber guitar in my life and currently I'm living in Medford, MA (about 15 mins from Boston) for school. Can you or anyone else help me locate a place to try out a Webber guitar?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:53 AM

If you like the Larrivee sound, why not find a D-05 or D-03 and add a K&K PWM or what ever pickup you prefer. The 114 you have been playing has a 1 11/16 neck, so the Larrivee D model will feel about the same. If you want to try the 1 3/4 neck, move to the Larrivee L-05 or L-03 and add a pickup. All of the Larrivee guitars are superbly built and I think Larrivee does a fantastic job with Mahogany.

Good luck!
Kendall
2022 Yamaha FG5
2010 Taylor DN3
Old 02-05-2013, 08:54 AM

Sounds like territory for a used J-45.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
guitar, larrivee, pickup, strumming, taylor