The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-09-2018, 03:19 AM

Default Heel crack cause opinions please (Taylor PS-14C)

Any opinions on likely, or possible, cause of this crack?

(seller's image cropped)

Copy & paste from ad'.
"This would be listed as mint condition except for a small crack on the saddle (see pictures). Even though I have kept a humidifier in the case, apparently it got a little dry at one point in time. This slight blemish doesn't affect the sound in any manner."

There's really only one shot of the heel ('saddle'), but there is a pic' of the case. (hmmm...) I'm assuming it's the ohsc, and included, but the ad' doesn't actually include that information.

(seller's image cropped)

I was shopping for something different, but this isn't what I had in mind.

The seller wants $6K, and says it's only been out of the case, 'a hand full of times'. Could just be the pic', but strap button appears well worn. Along with the case, and its latches.

I've never owned a Taylor. I think they're exclusively bolt on, but this is a 'Presentation' koa, so I'm even less sure.

With no signs of moisture visible on the exterior of guitar, and I'm no expert, this makes me suspicious trauma is more likely. And then I wondered, with their bolted neck design maybe this is something fairly unique to dehydrated Taylors.

I'm going to pass on the guitar, but I'm awake, and pondering.

Thanks, and have a great Sunday.
'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV
Old 09-09-2018, 03:57 AM

Taylor classifys that one as a shipping crack,if the instrument is in tune and the case falls over, the heel splits at one of the lugs, typically the bottom insert, nothing to do with humidity it’s purely from mishandling.

I have seen and repaired a few Taylor’s with this issue, it’s not an expensive repair due the ability of being able to remove and refit the neck with ease.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 09-09-2018, 05:46 AM

Thanks Steve. The seller could have their reasons, but it's kinda like selling a 'Vette with a flat tire. I wouldn't consider selling until the repair was completed.
'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV
Old 09-09-2018, 07:22 PM

Yes, it is because the bolt concentrates the stress. For all those believers in bolt-on necks, this is the downside.....particularly a problem with the Taylor design.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Yes, it is because the bolt concentrates the stress. For all those believers in bolt-on necks, this is the downside.....particularly a problem with the Taylor design.
The problem would be totally eliminated for all bolt-on necks by incorporating a glued vertical 1/2" dowel in the heel and using hanger bolts instead of these cheesy threaded inserts.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:28 AM

That is exactly what I did on the few bolt-ons I built. Also, a tenon will increase the strength of the heel. I later learned that Collings has a similar design.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair