The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-05-2024, 11:52 AM

Speaking of LED color temperature, I was in costco not long ago getting frustrated that I couldn't find the temperature that I wanted. Furthermore, they only had one type of bulb in the lumens I wanted and it didn't have the temperature printed at all!!

Grumble...

Then I realized those bulbs had a switch where you could select the temperature on the bulb itself. Now I love being able to have only one bulb that I can use in many difference scenarios!
Old 03-05-2024, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
Then I realized those bulbs had a switch where you could select the temperature on the bulb itself. Now I love being able to have only one bulb that I can use in many difference scenarios!
I found a few models that have two color settings: warm and daylight. To change back and forth, all you do is turn the light switch off and on again within 10 seconds. Otherwise, it keeps the last color temp you set. Magic! I use it in the computer room where I do video calls. Warm white is the usual setting, but I can flick it to daylight to look better on Zoom.

There are even ones with WiFi and an app to change color & other settings, but I didn't need that much control, and flicking the switch is easier than pulling up an app.

I agree that current LED lights are way better than the old CFLs and early LEDs. They may not all last 25 years as advertised, but they're far longer-lasting and energy efficient than incandescents.
Old 03-05-2024, 12:08 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

I control most things from my phone these days... including the lighting.

Works well.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Well Ken, I for one am glad you ran out of lights before your lights went out!

My daughter is a real techie so we’ve skipped right on up to smart lights in our kitchen. If you don’t like the brightness in the kitchen just tell Alexa and she’ll adjust the intensity. Don’t like the color of light, same thing just tell Alexa and bingo bright white, sunlight, soft yellow, blue, red even pink lights all at a voice command. So guess what I tell Alexa before I break into Roxanne.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Good luck Ken...there must be 20 different varieties or Oreo cookies and M&M's so light bulbs can't be far behind?!?
I stick with the Classic® models! Dark chocolate in the case of the M&Ms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Point well taken, Jim, life has become entirely too complicated. The original Oreos were good enough for me! But now my doctor won't let me eat them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I say eat some anyway Ken!
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungBeatle View Post
Some of the new bulbs make slight hum that I can hear, but my wife can't. Does anyone else hear it?
~Bob
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
...BTW: 100w for a bedside lamp seems mighty much...
Maybe he reads with sunglasses on.

We still have a bunch of Philips 60 watt incandescent bulbs we bought about 15 years ago when CFLs were becoming all the rage.

Last edited by Jeff Scott; 03-05-2024 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-06-2024, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampix View Post
Well Ken, I for one am glad you ran out of lights before your lights went out!

My daughter is a real techie so we’ve skipped right on up to smart lights in our kitchen. If you don’t like the brightness in the kitchen just tell Alexa and she’ll adjust the intensity. Don’t like the color of light, same thing just tell Alexa and bingo bright white, sunlight, soft yellow, blue, red even pink lights all at a voice command. So guess what I tell Alexa before I break into Roxanne.
We were in AZ last week for a late winter getaway, and stayed with an old friend/bandmate of mine. He is very handy and loves gadgets, and is good with electricity and plumbing and paint and all that. He has his whole house wired up to respond to his voice commands. He walks through his house barking orders for those lights to come on and these lights to go off. He walks into his dark kitchen and says "Kitchen ON" and all the accent lights and a little TV come on. Not for me, but it is cool to see.

He can run his AZ house from his phone when he is at his other house in Nebraska. He can unlock the front door, turn on lights, and adjust the thermostat from 1,334 miles away. It is amazing.

And then there's me, I can't even figure out which light bulb to buy....
Old 03-06-2024, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
It is amazing.
Honestly, no... I don't mind talking out loud when alone but apart from the cats I wouldn't want anything to respond (and certainly not have some rich guy's minions listening in).

Now the glowglobes in Herbert's Dune universe, those would be amazing to have.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic