The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-15-2018, 09:58 AM

In order to use one of these mixers you really have to make sure you pick compatible mics and guitar preamps. You can’t just plug a guitar into it or grab any old dynamic mic. For instance the levels from a Shure SM7 or an Audix OM7 are going to be too low and there is no way to add preamp gain. If you have a guitar preamp with a variable gain output and Shure Beta58s or dynamic mics with similar output levels this mixer can be quite nice. The reverb is mediocre, but I use very little reverb.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:17 AM

I agree with you about the issue with mics though I have three vocal mics that work great and with my guitars its several different systems that work well. Like all music stuff, we try it out and see if it works. Thats why I have a room full of stuff that didn't.
But the tone on my Martin D-28 plus my vocal using my mics is as good as I have heard using any equipment and I have tried a lot of whats out there from the big guys and some small ones too like Shertler.
Note: The Mackie Pro DX does not supply phantom power. I sure wish they did so condenser mics could just plug in. I use a DPA 4099 on my Martin and have to go through an outboard phantom supply then into the Mackie. Same with vocal mics, can't use condensers unless there is an outboard source of phantom.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 04-15-2018, 10:18 AM

About gain structure, I use 1/4" to XLR for the inputs for my guitar and this works well.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 01-12-2021, 05:20 PM

I got a hold of this mixer, and I haven't tried plugging any SM58 into it, but I expect that with the mixer plugged into my interface that should work ok.

One problem I'm having though, is that my bluetooth connection will only stream audio through the right channel in mono. Has anyone had any experience with this? It looks like the bluetooth should connect on track 7/8 which should be stereo. If I plug a 3.5mm jack into the mixer this works just fine in stereo, which replaces the wireless connection.

Any ideas?

EDIT: It's actually coming through on both channels but one channel is all low pas filtered and quiet.

Last edited by Monk of Funk; 01-12-2021 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:33 PM

Digital mixers have been around for a long time, since the 90's. Their power is undeniable. I own two of them, a QSC Touchhmix 8 and a Bose T1. I also used to have the 16 channel 4 buss Presonus Studiolive, Of them all, I think the Bose T1 is the easiest to use in a live situation, but I will take an Allen and Heath ZED FX over any of them all day long. I think they sound great, and operating the tone controls and FX in real time is just way easier for me. In many of my gigs the room can go from empty to full in a heartbeat, and it's easier for me to adjust analog controls to keep the sound in check.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:15 PM

Sure, but the sound on the stage, isn't the sound you want, actually, which is why this comes in handy, you can sit in the right part of the room and adjust your mix.

Sadly, this mixer doesn't have any pan controls, which is unbelievable to me.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk of Funk View Post
Sure, but the sound on the stage, isn't the sound you want, actually, which is why this comes in handy, you can sit in the right part of the room and adjust your mix.

Sadly, this mixer doesn't have any pan controls, which is unbelievable to me.

When you're a solo like me, you can't leave the stage to change your sound, but I can deal with problem frequencies. I know the rooms that I play, I've been a house guitarist in each of them for over 10 years. I pretty much know how the stage sound translates.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:48 AM

The Mackie Pro DX mixers were cool ideas. I just upgraded my every-day gig mixer to the Mackie DL16S, and it's perfect. Even though my solo show uses just two channels, the flexibility and additional channels will let me expand into small ensembles when they happen. And the sound quality and capabilities of this mixer are amazing.

I was already familiar with the Master Fader app, as I have a DL32R for bigger shows and festival SR gigs. It was a simple transition.

I've owned Mackie mixers since the original 24•8 8-Bus mixer I had in my studio. I went through so many small Mackie analog live mixers -- while they sounded okay, they would age and get a bit funky over time. I play several outdoor gigs each month in the Florida Keys, and the salt air does a number on the analog switches, pots, and contacts. Going digital -- with no pots to corrode -- was a no-brainer.

YMMV...
[email protected]
Two cool Breedloves
Five amazing Aura-equipped Martins
2013 Gibson SJ-200
Two jumbo maple Guild 12-strings
Guild 8-string baritone
1979 Ovation Custom Balladeer
Peter Frampton Epiphone Texan
Yamaha 12-string
Alvarez classical
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 10-Top
Lots of Fender & Variax electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
digital, mackie, mixer, simple