The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-05-2019, 08:19 AM

Hi, could you also please test your Fishman SA220 when the lady is out of the house? This would help some of us considering the newer 330x(not much dB difference between the two). Thanks!
Old 12-05-2019, 01:30 PM

Default Portable Amp dB Testing

Line in electronic drum pad no Bluetooth engaged, no DI, all pole mounted except Fishman:

Real Acoustic Drums- Snare Drum 108.5 dB Tom-Toms 106.1 dB

JBL Eon One Compact- 97.4 dB Max

Fishman Mini Charge- 97.9 dB

QSC K8.2- 101.7dB

QSC K10{Classic Model not K10.2,Deep Mode Engaged} 105.3dB Note* Very close to actual acoustic drums

*Picking up the K10 compared to the JBL Compact was a bear!
Not testing the SA-220 because it is too hard to get all my settings back, dials are not by clicks
Bose S1 Pro coming today with free backpack-Cyber Monday! I did have the S1 in the past but I want to compare it to the new JBL Compact.

Last edited by wweiss; 12-05-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:53 PM

Looking forward to how to Bose S1 measures in db,
Just got mine yesterday from the cyber Monday deal with free backpack, "What a Great Deal".
I had a borrowed one for a month, found it to be exactly what I wanted.
The JBL Compact did interest me, but I found the Bose S1 very simple to use and love the sound. It's not a chest thumping kinda loud but somehow really fills the rooms or areas I've tried it in. Has a a very enveloping sound. Perfect for my needs.
I was not sure of the JBL compact as a new product based on past Eon One issues, very kool interface and control, but to computerized for me.
Maybe a year down the road I might feel different.
But for now the S1 Rocks !
Old 12-05-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
Real Acoustic Drums- Snare Drum 108.5 dB Tom-Toms 106.1 dB

JBL Eon One Compact- 97.4 dB Max

QSC K8.2- 101.7dB
Thanks so much. It's fascinating to me that the K8.2 is only 4.3 dB louder than the Compact, despite what the specs say (112 vs 128 dB). These are peak SPL, unweighted?

I got my own Compact in last night and tested it this afternoon. Using white noise on YouTube over Bluetooth in my ~50x25x7' basement with granite walls and concrete floors, I got these unweighted peak/max SPL figures @ 1m using Decibel X on my iPhone XS:

Aiwa EXOS-9: 95.9 dB (100+ spec)
JBL EON One Compact: 109.2 dB (112 spec)

I couldn't be arsed to bring out my Earthworks M30, so I honestly don't know how accurate these Decibel X numbers are. But they're not far off specs, huh?

This is totally not the right forum for it, but in case anyone is interested I'm testing the New Soundboks next week, again for pure PA movie work, not acoustic. However, my understanding is that Soundboks is considering adding EQ to the app, which is rather cool.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
All tests were done in same living room/same distance
Hi ww…

And what distance was it in feet/inches/meters?

And what device are you using to measure the decibels? And is the reading weighted or unweighted?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-05-2019, 05:39 PM

Default PA dB

I was 7 feet from the speaker, carpeted living room, huge open space, cathedral ceiling. Figures were peak SPL, SPL meter looks like the old Radioshack model but has no control for weighted/unweighted . Not sure if it is more accurate than the phone app

I also have the Aiwa Exos-9
Measured 93dB so our figures are not far off. You probably got the higher ratings because of the granite walls/concrete floor
I have found on all these compact units the Bluetooth channel gain is louder than the instrument channel
I was surprised about the low performance of the K8.2 even though 4.3 dB is a noticeable difference over the JBL
I think I need a DI box to boost the signal, If anybody knows please chime in. Using my Yamaha mixer it is much louder but my quest is to carry one speaker and the one drum pad. K10 performed but is too heavy for my mobile plan and would need an external battery pack.

aoeusynth-I ran from the JBL's Through Out a 1/4" TS cable to mini jack into the Aiwa. It sounded great! The JBL handled the lows like a mini subwoofer and the Aiwa using the remote control was cleaner and loud on the top end. This set up was loud for backing tracks-very HI-FI.
I wouldn't use this for my drum set up-might blow the Aiwa

Last edited by wweiss; 12-06-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was 7 feet from the speaker, carpeted living room, huge open space, cathedral ceiling. Figures were peak SPL, SPL meter looks like the old Radioshack model but has no control for weighted/unweighted . Not sure if it is more accurate than the phone ap
Hi again ww

I think from reading, you are not measuring the speakers at their spec distance and power settings. True speaker/amp tests are taken at carefully measured distances with controlled amounts of power.

Sounds like you are experimenting to find the loudest speaker cabinet you can, when you should perhaps be thinking about the power amps you are using which drive the speakers (and speakers have a limit of how much power they can handle before they are injured/destroyed/blown).

When using a 1 watt at 1 meter reading, to raise the speaker 3 decibels takes double the power. That is true no matter how loud it gets. It always takes double the power to increase any volume by 3 db. It takes a ton of power to raise a speaker to extraordinary volume levels.

The efficiency of the speaker, the design of the cabinet, and the power of the amp all contribute to total output.

Here is a good paper on Speaker Volume and how much power it has a different distances. A bit 'weighty' but worth knowing. It might aid you in refining your experimenting.

Speaker power & Distance…CliCk

Hope this adds to the adventure…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-05-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
I was surprised about the low performance of the K8.2 even though 4.3 dB is a noticeable difference over the JBL
Did you try to go into the Input A menu of the K8.2 and set the sensitivity to "mic" it should be loud.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 12-06-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I was 7 feet from the speaker, carpeted living room, huge open space, cathedral ceiling. Figures were peak SPL, SPL meter looks like the old Radioshack model but has no control for weighted/unweighted . Not sure if it is more accurate than the phone ap
That's roughly 2x the normal 1m distance for SPL measurements. As SPL drops off by 6 dB for each doubling of distance, that actually brings your measurements a lot closer to manufacturer specs, e.g.

JBL EON One Compact: 101.9 -> 107.9 (vs 112 dB peak spec)
Bose S1 Pro: 102.6 -> 108.6 (109 db peak)

And so on. So your test setup isn't bad at all!

Quote:
I also have the Aiwa Exos-9
Measured 93dB so our figures are not far off. You probably got the higher ratings because of the granite walls/concrete floor
We're even closer if you add 6 dB to compensate for your measurements being 2x mine (1m).

This thread is turning ever more useful!
Old 12-07-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
The Soundboks sounds amazing in the videos. If only it had some EQ knobs!
I got the New Soundboks in this afternoon, early (thanks Amazon: delivery on Saturday instead of Monday, wow ...).

It's an absolute stunner of a speaker. I'm trying not to drool online, but I feel like I need a napkin.

Only had time to play some violin concertos, techno, and some pop vocals but — OMG just gorgeously reasonable sound. I could listen to this all day just casually, not something I could at all say about the Compact, unfortunately.

It's the kind of accuracy that makes you feel like you're listening to the creation of sound, not just the artistry of it. I wouldn't say it's exactly smooth, per se, but it's a real attempt at a flat frequency response overall. I'm very, very impressed and frankly, a bit in love.

The New Soundboks' only obvious failing is a bit of obvious too much mid-bass, a bit too much bloom. It kinda makes up for its total lack of low bass by lending some hall ambience, but strictly-speaking it's slightly boomy.

But if they added EQ — or even just a bass cut — holy cow ....

I attended my local Christmas tree lighting last night and the PAs used by the otherwise wonderful carolers was atrocious: muffled with insufficient volume. Then Santa's trolley came and the PA on that was even worse: you could stand right next to it and not make out what the speakers were saying.

It genuinely occurred to me I could've hand-carried my Compact to the celebrations and still pushed my 6-week-old in the stroller. Couldn't do that with the Soundboks.

SPL measurements for the New Soundboks — for anyone who even cares at this point! — coming next week. I have to make sure everyone is out of the house for this one.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:26 PM

Default Soundboks

aoeusynth did you get one or two Soundboks?

Soundboks 2 or 3? Besides Movie Night what is your application?

Many reviews say the Devialet Phantom Gold are the best Bluetooth speaker
4,500 watts
108dB
$2,790 for one speaker! I've heard the Silver version and was impressed-lows were incredible. But more for home listening, would never fill a gym, plus they are not battery powered. Have you heard them?

Why do you need EQ when there are very good EQ apps available?

Sorry to hear you lost your audiophile system-in my opinion headphone listening is another experience, but can not match trying to recreate the live music experience in an acoustic space.

Last edited by wweiss; 12-08-2019 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post

I'm a little surprised you measured the S1 as a hair louder than the new Eon One Compact, since I thought several guys in one of the other threads said the latter was louder.
Ditto.

I haven't really tested yet, but my initial thinking is that there isn't a meaningful volume difference between the two. With further testing, I expect that I will be able to get the JBL louder without the bass farting out like it can on the S1.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:38 PM

Apologies for the diversion, but I found my strongest earplugs and tested the New Soundboks. Here it is compared to my earlier measurements:

Aiwa EXOS-9: 95.9 dB (100+ spec)
JBL EON One Compact: 109.2 dB (112 spec)
New Soundboks: 108.9 dB (126 spec)

So the New Soundboks technically doesn't have louder peaks than the EON One Compact.

DON'T BE FOOLED.

During the New Soundboks test I could constantly feel compressions in my chest. I felt not a thing from the Compact.

I found out why when I mistakenly took out my earplugs while Compact was still being tested and I was stunned to hear the unmistakable farts of cone breakup all over its sound. It was really ugly.

In contrast, the New Soundboks played cleanly all the way up to its limit. It was an astonishing performance. Plus: no midrange honk like with the JBL, or hoodedness.

There's still that small bass boom, but it could be room-related (though it's also evident in online vidieos). My understanding is that Soundboks is testing a firmware update that will expand its bass options to include "indoor" and "outdoor" settings — although the latter is so powerful the battery squeezes down to just 3 hours when played at max volumes.

Anyway, the Soundboks are not made for portable busking — or busking at all, really — but maybe this pique's someone's interest. As I mentioned I was testing these speakers not for performance but for movie nights for my kids' school. The New Soundboks do have 1/4" / XLR inputs and app control of gain so it could possibly be used in a very minimalist setting, but EQ is non-existent ... and that's by far the JBL's most powerful attribute.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
aoeusynth did you get one or two Soundboks?

Soundboks 2 or 3? Besides Movie Night what is your application?
Just one New Soundboks (aka Soundboks 3) for the moment. Soundboks' beta firmware promises L/R stereo pairings, but currently Teaming does not allow for it. Plus, who knows what the BlueTooth + SKAA total latency is going to be like ....

I didn't really intend the Soundboks for any other application: after the Aiwa EXOS-9 I strongly suspected I needed to go for more power, and the Soundboks 3 was the only serious battery-powered option short of PA options like the Compact.

My test has proven that the New Soundboks are indeed the overwhelming winner for powerful portable sound reproduction, with the side bonus that it actually sounds legit good. No $200 PA speakers with horn and 15" woofer, this.

Quote:
Many reviews say the Devialet Phantom Gold are the best Bluetooth speaker
4,500 watts
108dB
$2,790 for one speaker! I've heard the Silver version and was impressed-lows were incredible. But more for home listening, would never fill a gym, plus they are not battery powered. Have you heard them?
Oh, I won't say I wasn't tempted! But they do need an AC cord like you say and I was trying to KISS as much as possible. Also, the reason I'm even exploring these options for the school is that they can only afford a free speaker. It's bad enough considering $1k speakers but it really kinda torpedoes the ethos of the project if I go for a $3k mono speaker!

Quote:
Why do you need EQ when there are very good EQ apps available?
True.

Still, having an all-in-one box is pretty alluring, no? I'm sitting here with my 11" iPad Pro playing back various test tracks on the Compact while separately controlling its EQ on my iPhone XS, in real time — it's bloody marvelous.

Quote:
Sorry to hear you lost your audiophile system-in my opinion headphone listening is another experience, but can not match trying to recreate the live music experience in an acoustic space.
Ain't that the truth. I do try to get by with Out-Of-Your-Head software virtualization, but to be honest my experience with the Soundboks 3 was so riveting I'm tempted to just stick it in my office for some occasional hifi jollies — even in mono. It's good enough I can easily "hear past" its audio foibles.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
I'm a little surprised you measured the S1 as a hair louder than the new Eon One Compact, since I thought several guys in one of the other threads said the latter was louder.
{Nerd talk from an engineer:}
The SPL difference between the two in the OP measurement is indistinguishable within the normal human perception of loudness. You have to get to ~ 3dB SPL change for humans to notice there's a change in loudness. There is only a 0.7dB difference between the two.

But there are lots of factors here and in others comparison between S1 and the Eon One Compact. Source material and speaker frequency response could color the perception of loudness.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification