The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-06-2019, 11:19 PM

I sincerely thank everyone for your replies. Don't stop, I'm still learning a lot. I have to say I have been really disappointed in the lack of Tele's to try in my local stores. Especially since we are now just a few weeks before Christmas. I thought this would be a good time to try out different models. I went a completely different direction for now and just ordered a Classic Vibe 50's Tele from Sweetwater. They get such good reviews, it's hard to find someone saying anything bad about them. I figure for that price point I can muck around with it a bit and not worry about destroying it. Do they end up calling Tele's partscasters? Don't get me wrong, my go-to local mom & pop store had a beautiful Fender American Pro Tele in butterscotch blonde that I dearly fell in love with. It was even marked down to $1249.00 for Christmas. But sadly that is still a bit out of my budget. Dang it was a sweet guitar. It's okay though. The Squier will give me a chance to take things apart and put them back together, replace things, maybe mess up some soldering, and if I screw it up too bad it's not like screwing up a $1500.00 guitar. Thanks everyone. I have already learned a lot from these comments and I'm sure I will learn more.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack Guitarist View Post
I sincerely thank everyone for your replies. Don't stop, I'm still learning a lot. I have to say I have been really disappointed in the lack of Tele's to try in my local stores. Especially since we are now just a few weeks before Christmas. I thought this would be a good time to try out different models. I went a completely different direction for now and just ordered a Classic Vibe 50's Tele from Sweetwater. They get such good reviews, it's hard to find someone saying anything bad about them. I figure for that price point I can muck around with it a bit and not worry about destroying it. Do they end up calling Tele's partscasters? Don't get me wrong, my go-to local mom & pop store had a beautiful Fender American Pro Tele in butterscotch blonde that I dearly fell in love with. It was even marked down to $1249.00 for Christmas. But sadly that is still a bit out of my budget. Dang it was a sweet guitar. It's okay though. The Squier will give me a chance to take things apart and put them back together, replace things, maybe mess up some soldering, and if I screw it up too bad it's not like screwing up a $1500.00 guitar. Thanks everyone. I have already learned a lot from these comments and I'm sure I will learn more.
I will be interested in any further progress report/ impressions once you have that new tele in your hands for a while - and if itís one of the new Indonesian manufactured ones. The MIC only required an upgrade to the output jack - the pickups spec wise are high performance (see comparison tested specs on site devoted to the tele) and wiring on those included full size pots/ pickups only changed out on personal preference -
Old 12-07-2019, 03:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Classic Vine teles are really nice guitars and a SICK value. The only downside is that they just come in two configurations that are nearly the same. Iíd say if youíre OK with a relatively skinny modern neck, you may never want for anything else! I had one for a while that I really liked - I just like (love, adore, am head over heels for) the neck on a Mexican Roadworn tele even more, Or Iíd probably still have the CV. Iíve also heard the CV Strats are similarly fine guitars and great values, but I donít have any first hand experience with those. But given the low initial cost and the good resale value, these should be a really good way of trying both a tele and a strat and find out if YOU actually prefer one to the other. Or love em both. Or donít like either and go looking for a Les Paul...
Old 12-07-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Probably good call going for a Squier CV Tele.

For value, those are REALLY hard to beat price wise.

If you really want to get the most for your $$$, you could buy a CV Tele used.

I frequent pawnshops on daily basis 5 days a week every year.

I've found AMAZING deals on quality USA guitars many times.

A friend of mine found a CV Tele just like the one you're going to buy for $20 in pawnshop about a month ago.

I've never seen a CV Tele in a pawnshop for $20, but I've seen plenty of them between $100-$150 around my area.

I don't know where you live, but I'd really consider hitting all the pawnshops in your area.

You might find a killer price on a Squier CV guitar.
'80 Sigma DM-3
'98 Baby Taylor
'03 Taylor 515-CE Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
Old 12-07-2019, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Congrats! The CV series are legendary value for money!

And yep, the Butterscotch Pro you reference below is my dream Tele. What a beast.

Quote:
2016 Gretsch 5422T
2004 50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Home Built "Cusstone" 18 Watt Plexi.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 12-07-2019, 10:11 AM

OP picked a great place to start. I've never owned an exact Classic Vibe but I do have a couple of 21st century Squier Teles: a 2008 Chinese made three pickup model with a nice Firebird-like mini humbucker in the neck position and a somewhat newer Squier Bigsby Tele with conventional pickups.

Yup, I like beefier necks, but many don't, and the sounds are valid.

Partscasters are one of the great unintended consequences of Leo Fender's genius and success.
'00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '07 Parkwood PW510
Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars