The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 01:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmouton View Post
I absolutely love Myrtle! How thick is that top Bruce? I would imagine it's a bit thinner than a spruce top would be.
I work to feel rather than numbers, so I had to go measure it for you. It is 2.2 mm at the edge of the lower bout. It will lose some in final sanding before finish. The back is thinner, at 2.01 mm, measured in the tiny gap left next to one of the lower bout braces as it penetrates the side.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

30 days of cure time have gone by for Ian Del Basso's FT-15-C. I buffed it out this afternoon, and am about to glue the neck to the body. a few pictures of it are below.

This is an old standard high end top, and has more visible run out than expected, but is in every other way great.

Old 05-25-2021, 05:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have been spending more time playing the violin than the guitar for the last few years, and it shows. Despite being a bit embarrassed by my playing, here is a short iPhone video comparing TadRose (the "blemish" guitar) with TakeTwo, its replacement:

https://vimeo.com/554501773
Old 05-25-2021, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Although I like the tone of both, they do sound quite different to me. My ear favors the replacement. Nice playing Bruce.

Old 05-26-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradHall View Post
Although I like the tone of both, they do sound quite different to me. My ear favors the replacement. Nice playing Bruce.
Me too. I hear more overtones in the 2nd.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:33 AM

At first I thought the second sounded different until I found the same sections on each and went back and forth on them. Without knowing it I would not know they were different guitars. At times they sound a little different, playing chords. Noticed the chord on the second was played louder, might be the reason for the difference. Either case the sound captured by the camera (assuming it is the camera mic) is really good. Enjoyed the piece also, evoked the thought of a happy sunny day.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

The iPhone 11 works well enough that my mirrorless Sony has been sitting on the shelf unused for months.

Playing the two guitars their difference is noticeable, but not critical. TR has a smoother and fatter sound, while T2 is slightly louder and has greater clarity as well as slight reverb. Both are good enough that having a preference is unnecessary. I don’t own a better guitar than either. Only the first is available. If I still have it come Woodstock, I’ll bring it along, blemish and all.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Bruce, that FT-15-C is hot. Such beautiful woods. Couldn't convince him to go for a JB, huh?
Old 05-26-2021, 12:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
Bruce, that FT-15-C is hot. Such beautiful woods. Couldn't convince him to go for a JB, huh?
No need to convince anyone of anything in particular. The JB package addresses a weakness in the traditional guitar concept . . . but it is not a fatal flaw, and JB isn't for everybody. The customer knew what he wanted, and it was one of my guitars spec'd like this result, my rendition of an OM.

Instead of a deposit, he bought one of earlier guitars from me with the understanding that he could trade it in at full value when the commission was ready. That meant that he had a good guitar to play in the meantime, and also that we had a solid reference for spec'ing the build.

I expect to have "his" BRW FT-000-C (my Schoenberg prototype) back in a week or so. I wonder who will "borrow" it next? I have several guitars that such a customer could "buy".
Old 05-27-2021, 09:50 PM

The 2 guitars sound quite different to me. TakeTwo has more overtones and reverb, and the notes seem to project a bit more. The trebles also have some extra brillance. TadRose's notes are thicker and warmer. Its smoothness is very satisfying. Both guitars sound very balanced. For my style of playing, I prefer the TakeTwo slightly more. But either one will satisfy me!

Also note that TakeTwo has only been strung up for a week, while the TadRose has warmed up for a month. It's amazing that the TakeTwo sounds so good already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I have been spending more time playing the violin than the guitar for the last few years, and it shows. Despite being a bit embarrassed by my playing, here is a short iPhone video comparing TadRose (the "blemish" guitar) with TakeTwo, its replacement:

https://vimeo.com/554501773

Heinonen SJ-C Cedar/EIR
Sexauer FT-15C-JB2 German/BRW
Bourgeois 00c Adi/Hog
Furch Yellow G Cedar/Padauk

Last edited by awchiu; 05-27-2021 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

The top of the all-Myrtle CN#4 is bound:

Old 06-02-2021, 08:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Good news this week. Andrew has received TakeTwo, which had its challenges, being in Hong Kong and all. And Ian Del Basso Took delivery of his BRW FT-15- C today, right here in my shop. That had no challenges at all. Both guitars are excellent examples of my work at my peak. My first effort for Andrew is as good, and is still available.

Today i am working on the neck for the all-Myrtle CN#4. Myrtle carves like a dream, and tomorrow I expect to do the shaping. Here are some pix of the current state:

Bigger image:

Old 06-03-2021, 12:27 PM

I feel extremely lucky to have TakeTwo in my hands. After a few days of playing and adjusting to the environment in Hong Kong, the guitar really woke up today. It feels looser, more resonant and the trebles ring like bells. The guitar is still very young, and I hope to give a better review in a month or so. But tonight, I couldn't stop playing. It's already 2:30am, I better get some sleep

Heinonen SJ-C Cedar/EIR
Sexauer FT-15C-JB2 German/BRW
Bourgeois 00c Adi/Hog
Furch Yellow G Cedar/Padauk
Old 06-03-2021, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Hahaha. I knew that would happen. Congratulations Andrew!
Old 06-04-2021, 04:23 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awchiu View Post
I feel extremely lucky to have TakeTwo in my hands. After a few days of playing and adjusting to the environment in Hong Kong, the guitar really woke up today. It feels looser, more resonant and the trebles ring like bells. The guitar is still very young, and I hope to give a better review in a month or so. But tonight, I couldn't stop playing. It's already 2:30am, I better get some sleep
Yes, a new Sexauer will do that to you. Congrats!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop