The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-29-2018, 10:22 PM

Default Made my first Reverb sale, have some questions

Hi all, like the title says I just sold my first guitar using Reverb. Everything went smoothly and it was very hassle-free which was nice, a far cry from craigslist where every buyer tries to lowball you like crazy and your guitar sits around for weeks if not months.

Now that it has sold, I have been waiting for payment for just about 48 hours now without a peep from the buyer. Is this normal or should I message him and see what the hold up is? I'm thinking of waiting 72 hours first but he seems to have about 200 reviews and they are all positive, some even saying he is very fast with payment. After I accepted his offer, it's on him to get the transaction moving correct? I just want to make sure I'm not the one holding it up here unintentionally.

Also I have heard some horror stories of buyers getting the guitar and then trying to scam the seller by disputing with paypal or saying the guitar never arrived, and paypal generally sides with the buyer. Is there a way to make sure I do not get scammed here? Would taking pictures of packing up the guitar or anything really help? It's a $1k+ guitar so this is a lot of money we're talking about here.

Thanks
Old 10-29-2018, 10:34 PM

https://reverb.com/page/seller-hub

https://help.reverb.com/hc/en-us

To protect the buyer reverb sometimes withholds payment until the item has been shipped and a tracking # issued.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:01 PM

1st sale policy
Old 10-30-2018, 02:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeguitar90 View Post
Hi all, like the title says I just sold my first guitar using Reverb. Everything went smoothly and it was very hassle-free which was nice, a far cry from craigslist where every buyer tries to lowball you like crazy and your guitar sits around for weeks if not months.

Now that it has sold, I have been waiting for payment for just about 48 hours now without a peep from the buyer. Is this normal or should I message him and see what the hold up is? I'm thinking of waiting 72 hours first but he seems to have about 200 reviews and they are all positive, some even saying he is very fast with payment. After I accepted his offer, it's on him to get the transaction moving correct? I just want to make sure I'm not the one holding it up here unintentionally.

Also I have heard some horror stories of buyers getting the guitar and then trying to scam the seller by disputing with paypal or saying the guitar never arrived, and paypal generally sides with the buyer. Is there a way to make sure I do not get scammed here? Would taking pictures of packing up the guitar or anything really help? It's a $1k+ guitar so this is a lot of money we're talking about here.

Thanks
Buyers have a prescribed amount of time before sending money - 72 hours is my recollection. I've never had anyone not pay pretty much immediately, but check Reverb for the amount of time and what to do if the buyer is tardy in payment. In your orders menu it will tell you where you are in the deal and Reverb will let you know when payment is received and when to ship. Reverb responds to queries and is generally pretty good to deal with.

Use Reverb shipping and protection - requires a signature on delivery and will insure up to a certain amount, definitely more then $1000, and is much, much cheaper then using UPS/USPS/FedX directly. (This is all covered on Reverb.) I've shipped a ton of guitars and amps over the years and never been a scammed. if your buyer has a lot of feedback, then you really have nothing to worry about unless you are just a bad packer, so pack it well.

There's always some teeth gnashing on a sale, especially a high dollar one. Welcome to the club.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
https://reverb.com/page/seller-hub

https://help.reverb.com/hc/en-us

To protect the buyer reverb sometimes withholds payment until the item has been shipped and a tracking # issued.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
1st sale policy
Sounds like he's waiting for payment, not payout.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:07 AM

I usually send a note to start, or continue, conversation - whether buying or selling. If selling, I'll usually send something like, "If you get this paid today by XX:XX, I will get this shipped out today (or tomorrow)." or; "As soon as I get payment confirmation, I will get this out immediately." I usually get an answer quickly stating when payment will be made. I also believe that communication helps assuage a buyer's concerns about a new seller.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:11 AM

Just remind the person over message. Give it the 3 days and then relist. Sounds like you got a flake. The only people who don't pay IME are the ones who submit an offer and change their minds.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:58 AM

Makes no sense to me why someone would delay payment, If I buy something on Reverb I make the payment within moments of the deal. If you bought it presumably you want it (and have the means to pay for it), so why delay payment?
Old 10-30-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robey View Post
Sounds like he's waiting for payment, not payout.

Just sold an item? Not seeing your payout? Here are some things to check first:

Have You Entered Tracking Information?

Tracking information is what Reverb uses as an indicator of when you payout should be submitted, so if you haven't done so yet, provide that tracking information or purchase a Reverb Shipping Label here.

Is this your first sale?

You will receive notification of your first payout within 24-48 hours following the delivery of the item according the tracking information you've provided to Reverb. Following that, it may take your bank 1-3 business days to process that deposit. After your first sale, your payouts will be submitted once tracking is entered and the item is "in transit"."
Old 10-30-2018, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
Just sold an item? Not seeing your payout? Here are some things to check first:

Have You Entered Tracking Information?

Tracking information is what Reverb uses as an indicator of when you payout should be submitted, so if you haven't done so yet, provide that tracking information or purchase a Reverb Shipping Label here.

Is this your first sale?

You will receive notification of your first payout within 24-48 hours following the delivery of the item according the tracking information you've provided to Reverb. Following that, it may take your bank 1-3 business days to process that deposit. After your first sale, your payouts will be submitted once tracking is entered and the item is "in transit"."
He hasn't received confirmation that the buyer has paid Reverb. It wouldn't be wise to ship an item before the buyer submits the payment to Reverb.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-30-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeguitar90 View Post

Thanks
You may very well be holding up the process. On your 1st sale Reverb will not pay you (payout) even though the seller has paid (payment),
until the item has been delivered.
Making someone wait for their guitar is not cool. Feedback? 3 stars
Old 10-30-2018, 08:40 AM

There are a few steps to your first transaction. First you should receive a message from Reverb stating that the buyer has paid and it is OK to ship. It sounds like you have not received that message which means the buyer has not paid. I would send a note. You asked how to protect yourself. I would buy the shipping label from Reverb which Will require a signature from the buyer and did trigger your buyer protection. Once the seller does pay, and you get the notice from Reverb, you buy the shipping label and that willBegin the rest of the process. I believe they will not pay you on your first transaction until the shipper says the item was delivered. In the future, they will begin the payout once the tracking information is available to reverb. I hope this helps.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue4now View Post
Makes no sense to me why someone would delay payment, If I buy something on Reverb I make the payment within moments of the deal. If you bought it presumably you want it (and have the means to pay for it), so why delay payment?

Maybe he’s waiting for his paycheck or he’s getting married or he’s backpacking in the Utah backcountry or he’s studying for midterm exams or he’s in ashram and he’s taken a 2 day vow of silence ?
Old 10-30-2018, 09:22 AM

If they take three days to pay then i take three days to ship.
seagull mjm6
alvarez mfa66CE
recording king ro-310
Taylor 312ce IBANEZ AF95FM
Old 10-30-2018, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

I feel your pain - just sold my first item on Reverb (which reminds me - I need to go into the AGF Classifieds and end my listing!)

I like their process since it does offer protection to both parties. I can accept having to wait a bit for my payout since they don't know me. The first sale is your way to establish your credibility; from then on, Reverb pays out once the item is shipped and tracking number is provided.

One note: I wish I'd looked closer at the Reverb shipping service - I literally just returned from UPS, using them as I've always done in the past. Prices have skyrocketed - it cost me just over $100 to ship a hollowbody bass in hsc halfway across the continent properly packaged and insured. 10 years ago I shipped a bass in case to Australia for the same money.

Hopefully, everything will go smoothly both for you and for me!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion