The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-03-2021, 09:56 AM

Default Problems mixing drums

Hi people, hoping someone can help me with this.
I'm mixing a track in Tracktion Waveform 11, and trying to use parallel compression on the drums. I have the various elements of the kit panned across the stereo image, but when I send them to the compressor buss everything sounds like it's in mono. Am I doing something wrong, or are the aux busses in Waveform mono only?

Thanks in advance

Rob
Old 03-03-2021, 12:18 PM

Is the compressor set up in stereo?
Old 03-04-2021, 02:32 AM
Charter Member

I regularly use an aux bus in Waveform 11 without this occurring. Your Aux Bus should reproduce the stereo, and this should be able to be noticeable viewing the level meters in the aux bus, as well as from monitoring the audio.

Apart from the compression effect / add-on taking you to mono as 'runamuck' mentions, are there any other effects in the chain that might be?

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 03-11-2021, 10:19 PM

I'm not familiar with Waveform 11, but a couple things to check:
  • make sure the aux is stereo (both input & output)
  • make sure you are sending a stereo signal to the aux
  • make sure you are not collapsing a stereo signal with a mono plugin

There is also the possibility that your parallel compression bus is overtaking your main sound...and the compressor is going to react mostly to the low end...and most of that is mono. Are you sending everything to the parallel compression or are you doing a pseudo NY Drums thing with just kick, snare & toms?

In general, compression on drums can get you into trouble fast if you're not careful & get your setting right.

HTH

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 03-12-2021, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penrithrdstudio View Post
Hi people, hoping someone can help me with this.
I'm mixing a track in Tracktion Waveform 11, and trying to use parallel compression on the drums. I have the various elements of the kit panned across the stereo image, but when I send them to the compressor buss everything sounds like it's in mono. Am I doing something wrong, or are the aux busses in Waveform mono only?

Thanks in advance

Rob
I don't use Waveform but I would guess the Aux tracks can be either mono or stereo

In Protools when you create an Aux track you can choose for it to be either mono or stereo format and then when you add an FX it will be mono or stereo according to the track format (is that not the case in Waveform ?)

Question are your drums all on one single stereo track, or on multiple mono tracks per drum instrument , i.e. Kick on one track, Snare on one track, etc. ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD