The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-02-2021, 01:49 PM

Default No truss rod on Mc Pherson Touring

Hello to all: looking at getting my first carbon fiber guitar. I see this model doesn't have a truss rod. I've read about the stability of carbon guitars but wonder:

Is this a good thing or not? If I biy a used one and want to adjust the action I guess all I could do is work on nut/ saddle?

Thanks for helping this carbon fiber novice.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkmusikfan View Post
Hello to all: looking at getting my first carbon fiber guitar. I see this model doesn't have a truss rod. I've read about the stability of carbon guitars but wonder:

Is this a good thing or not? If I biy a used one and want to adjust the action I guess all I could do is work on nut/ saddle?

Thanks for helping this carbon fiber novice.
If you are one to want to adjust relief, than these guitars are probably not for you. If you like dead straight necks and great action that will never move, there shouldn't be a problem. Never been a report of a bad one that I know of, either the Touring or Sable. Also keep in mind there are RainSongs out there that are 20+ years old without truss rods and they have not moved a mm. Also, McPherson ships all their guitars with 2 saddles that are custom cut for the guitar you buy and even have the S/N on them! One high and one low; and could still shave one down from there if the saddles wasn't exact to your preference.

I think you are good...it's a McPherson after all
Old 03-02-2021, 02:21 PM

The Touring ships with a Medium saddle installed. It takes about five minutes to switch to the Low saddle, loosen the strings and pull it out from the low E side. Saddles are matched to the serial number of the instrument. If you want something different McPherson will make a custom saddle to suit your requirements. Give them a call if you have any questions.

Edit: I would highly recommend speaking with McPherson. Changes to the nut won't be easy to undo. The material used for the saddle in the carbon series was chosen for its even energy transfer to the top. Bone isn't as consistent. There's a lot more. I learned a bunch in five minutes. Be prepared to part with your money after you hang up.

Last edited by Mr. Thompson; 03-02-2021 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

I have both the Sable and Touring. While I agree with what has been said, especially about the stability of their necks, I did deepen the nut slots just a bit. It makes a big difference in playability, and also a bit from the bottom of the saddle.

Really, the best thing, in my opinion, is to play it as is for a time before deciding to make any such change. For strummers, these guitars are fine as is. For SOME fingerstyle players (particularly those using independent moving lines where all the left hand fingers are working all the time) and those who play jazz chord melody (using barre chords all the time), the lower the action, the better on whatever guitar you get (so this is not a reflection on McPherson at all). It really depends on your hands and needs.

In any case, I have never heard of a problem with the neck angle or the relief on these instruments. As Steelvibe said :

If you like dead straight necks and great action that will never move, there shouldn't be a problem.

I hope you don't mind me quoting you, but I couldn't have said it better.

Tony
Old 03-02-2021, 03:12 PM

I have Rainsong WS-1000 that is now 20 years old without a truss rod and it has never moved, at least that I can perceive. Even with heavier strings and altered tunings, the neck just doesn't move. It came to me as one of the best setup guitars I've owned, and there was never a need to change anything. I've made a tiny quarter turn truss rod adjustment on one of the six Emerald guitars here. My Blackbird Lucky 13 does not have a truss rod either.

AZLiberty has a WS-3000 twelve string with no truss rod, and must tune down to Eb to get the relief that he wants. (Thought I'd save you the typing, Mark).
Old 03-02-2021, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

My Sable has no truss rod and it's never been an issue, matter of fact I forgot that it didn't have one until you mentioned it. I ordered an extra saddle from McPherson and took it even lower than the "low" one that it ships with. Great neck, great tone, easy to play and a wonderful guitar. That should translate directly to the Touring. Good Luck !
Old 03-02-2021, 05:16 PM

Thank You all for the input and information. I recently retired and decided to get myself a carbon fiber guitar as a retirement gift to me and a traveling companion when opportunity permits. I've got several wood guitars and it's really hard to even get to look at a carbon fiber guitar now, let alone play one.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've got several wood guitars and it's really hard to even get to look at a carbon fiber guitar now, let alone play one.
Best bet is to purchase from a dealer that offers a trial period. Just in case !
Old 03-02-2021, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

If we could just dispel the popular notion that truss rods are for adjusting action, I think people would be way less concerned about whether a particular guitar has one or not, adjustable or otherwise.

I’d have no concerns buying a CF guitar from a reputable manufacturer without one.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-02-2021, 08:21 PM

My McPherson Sable had a medium amount of neck relief. Not enough for bluegrass, but good enough for everything else. And, it played easily.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

If you live near the twin cities you're welcome to try my sable.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Default Sable

I've got a 2020 McPherson Sable if you're interested in purchasing used. PM me if you'd like additional info. Great guitars and very playable.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:52 PM

Steve: Thank You for your generous offer. I'm in the other end of the country in southern California. A bit of commute but much appreciated.
Ron
Old 03-03-2021, 11:12 PM

The very thought of a steel string w/o a truss rod makes me nervous. I play with a very straight neck with very little relief, and most instruments w/o truss rods have more relief than I like...including a couple of McPs that I tried.

Adjustability matters, at least for some of us.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Thank You all for the input and information. I recently retired and decided to get myself a carbon fiber guitar as a retirement gift to me and a traveling companion when opportunity permits. I've got several wood guitars and it's really hard to even get to look at a carbon fiber guitar now, let alone play one.
Hi Ron.

Ted in Los Angeles (LAguitarsales.com) has sold hundreds of carbon fibre guitars from a variety of makers and always has a few dozen in stock. He is a favourite with AGFers.

It would be worthwhile talking with him. A visit to play a few brands and sizes would give you a solid feel for what will suit you.

For travel, is your need to have a guitar with you? Or does it include playing and singing with fellow travellers?

The Touring and Kevan Michael (aka Sable) sounded slightly nicer than the Rainsong, C.A., Journey, and KLOS guitars I've played, but I found them a bit quiet for jam sessions especially outdoors.

Cheers

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber