The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-14-2021, 11:48 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Default Emerald X7 vs. CA Cargo

Just curious...

I’ve owned a Cargo RT since ‘08. Love the little bugger. Occasionally I play it on the couch, but it’s mostly my travel/campfire guitar. I’ve sworn I’d never get rid of it because I’ve believed there’s nothing better for what it is.

In the past, I’ve read by those who have played both that the Cargo and X7 are somewhat of a toss-up...tone being different but not necessarily better and playability similar with the X7 perhaps not as confining. That said, my impression has been that the Cargo has edged-out the X7.

I think I’m correct that the Cargo design has not changed at all over the years, whereas the X7 has, especially the latest version. Does anyone have any experience with both? Has the pendulum clearly swung in the X7’s direction?

I own an X20, but I don't think that really lends any insight...different animal.

Last edited by Acousticado; 02-14-2021 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-14-2021, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

I had both, wish I would have kept the Cargo I sold to get the X7, I don't miss the X7 V3 I had at all. Probably more my problem than the guitar, I could just never bond with it, it felt awkward to me with the bigger body and short neck, and the tone was not doing it for me. My opinion only, they sell a ton of them for a reason. I love my Sable, which the designer of the Cargo had something to do with, so that explains a bit. LOL You may want try a McPherson Touring while you are at it ???

You know the answer is to buy an X7, then decide which suits you best.
Old 02-14-2021, 12:15 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Of course, that is the obvious solution. I edited my post above to say that I own an X20, but I don’t think that lends any insight...different animal.
Old 02-14-2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
I had both, wish I would have kept the Cargo I sold to get the X7, I don't miss the X7 V3 I had at all. Probably more my problem than the guitar, I could just never bond with it, it felt awkward to me with the bigger body and short neck, and the tone was not doing it for me. My opinion only, they sell a ton of them for a reason. I love my Sable, which the designer of the Cargo had something to do with, so that explains a bit. LOL You may want try a McPherson Touring while you are at it ???

You know the answer is to buy an X7, then decide which suits you best.
This is an interesting post. Didn't you also once own a Shorty? The specs are very close for both the body and scale dimensions but I don't remember you ever having issues with the RainSong.

You are not the first person that I've heard here on the subforum confirm that the X7 feels awkward; I'd like to learn more about this because it is a guitar I've considered purchasing multiple times. Yesterday I posted Daddystovepipe's song "The Wingmen Rag" that he performed on a newer model X7. I actually reached out to him and he responded that he likes the guitar quite a bit but needs to boost his right leg higher than any other guitar he has to get the comfort right.

The Sable is a fantastic guitar but I found it's full scale a bit much for me; the Shorty helped me discover that 24.5" and 24.9" is the sweet spot for me. I had a Martin D Jr that I moved on because of the 24" scale but I liked the feel of it way more than the Touring when I played it (the Touring is 22.75" I think?). Don't get me wrong as the Touring is a fantastic sounding little box, but I like the feel of my OF660 way better.

Sorry Tommy- I didn't mean to hijack the post
Old 02-14-2021, 12:44 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Not at all SV, it all contributes to the discussion. Actually, that video you posted of the new X7 is what got me thinking about this again. It sounds quite good in the vid.

jd, I’m well aware that Ellis Seal is the designer of both the Cargo and the McP Touring where I think he’s been known to say that the Touring is what he hoped the Cargo would be. That said, at the cost difference (I paid $750 for my Cargo new in ‘08), I’m not sure it would be worth it, but I could be open if I ever have a chance to try a Touring.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Hey Tom, I hope all is well. I also purchased one of the original Cargos in 2008 and had it for many years. Eventually, the shorter scale and what I thought was a heavy bass led me to experiment with other carbon fiber guitars.

I settled on the 2nd generation X7 which I prefer over the current generation. It is slightly smaller with the same scale and I find it more comfortable. In comparison to the Cargo, IMO it has a more balanced sound and a 24” scale which I like better than shorter scale of the Cargo. I have never found it uncomfortable or awkward to play and use it primarily for travel.

Mitch
Old 02-14-2021, 01:17 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Thanks Mitch, hope you’re good as well. That’s interesting. Do you or anyone else happen to know which years the 2nd gen was produced?
Old 02-14-2021, 01:17 PM

Back in 2016 when I decided to get my first carbon fiber acoustic guitar
I was debating between the Cargo and 2016 X7 v2.
I gathered the following specs on both guitars to help in my choice.

........................Cargo.............X7 v2.
Overall length......34.978"...........34"
Body Length.........16.75"............16.5"
Body Depth..........3.685"............3.75"
Lower Bout..........13.328"..........13.5"
Scale..................22.829"...........24"
Nut width.............1.75"..............1.75"
Fret at Body.........14................14
Total Frets............21................20
Both Guitars equipped with stainless steel frets

I was only able to play the Cargo and really liked the body size.
Comparing the specs, the Cargo and X7 v2 are almost the same size.
I did not care for the 22.829" scale of the Cargo, so I took a chance and ordered the X7 v2
in hopes the longer 24" scale would be better for me.
I was also influenced by the many positive reviews that I had read about the X7 v2.
The Cargo had barn door electronics which I wasn't too keen with, but with the X7 v2
I was able to order K&K mini, Amber color and satin neck.
After getting my 2016 X7 I was able to play a Cargo a few more times,
which convinced me the X7 v2 was the best choice.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 02-14-2021, 01:57 PM

I kinda like them all... hope this helps
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-14-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkatz View Post
.... I also purchased one of the original Cargos in 2008 and had it for many years. Eventually, the shorter scale and what I thought was a heavy bass led me to experiment with other carbon fiber guitars. I settled on the 2nd generation X7 which I prefer over the current generation.
I almost bought a pre-Peavey RT Cargo in 2009 in Hawaii after first experiencing one at Aloha Music Camp on Hawaii Island. I really should have pulled the trigger, but had my full allotment of baggage already on the airline, including my guitar for camp which had to get back home. A few years later we ended up with a Peavey version of the Cargo (gloss blue) for my wife anyway, for 50% more $$.

BTW Mitch, I think that she currently has "your" koa Select Series X7, bought used from Wicked Wahine (Staci) last year. My wife really wanted koa and settled for a nice bubinga veneer from stock. Now she has both, but koa is definitely her #1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
Back in 2016 when I decided to get my first carbon fiber acoustic guitar... I was debating between the Cargo and 2016 X7 v2.
My petite wife progressed through the GS Mini to a Cargo. After trying an X7-V2 for the first time at Kramster's house (Phoenix Carbon Fest I in FEB 2018) she ordered herself one within a week. Neither of us has been able to play an X7-V3 to compare, but that's OK. Mama bear is happy, and that is what counts.

Cargo was much higher on the food chain in terms of build quality and tone than the Mini (also about 3X the purchase price, before the terminal price hike). Cargo has a good tone very much of a Martin-esque quality, having more bass than that small body really should have. The X7-V2 she ended up with is more balanced tonally and much easier for either of us to play with a 24" scale length. Different tone but hard to say which is "better". The scale length is the tie-breaker in our house. Cargo rarely gets out of the closet anymore.

I hope this helps.... what was the question again??
Old 02-14-2021, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
This is an interesting post. Didn't you also once own a Shorty?
I did own a Shorty, it was very comfortable for me to play.
Old 02-14-2021, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Default Emerald X7 vs. CA Cargo

Hey T... That was my big question back in 2016-2017. I had a Cargo Raw (maybe 2013?) which I liked, but it had a 1 3/4" nut and I wanted 1 11/16. So, I searched everything I could find comparing the two guitars and I didn't find much. You might remember this thread... I was hoping for more information before ordering the X-7. So, I took a stab in the dark and ordered it anyway.

I found the two guitars to be quite different in sound. My Cargo had a bigger bass, almost a booming 6th string for its size. I like bass, but it was somewhat odd. It wasn't all the bass strings... it was just the 6th. So, it wasn't balanced well at all.

As it turned out, the Emerald was exactly what I wanted. It is far better balanced, more mids and trebles. It just sounds more melodic to me... a little less boxy. As you know, the Emeralds are very comfortable to play with so much attention on ergonomics.

Tell you what... at the next mod bash, I'll bring my X-7 and you bring your Cargo. Then you can compare for yourself. How's that?
Old 02-14-2021, 06:35 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Haha, Kerbie, next mod bash, yeah! That would be great including to try the guitars. I wonder if, when and where that will be!
Old 02-14-2021, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I kinda like them all... hope this helps
Always a pleasure to hear and benefit from your insights, Kramster. You are a role model for the CF Community
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 02-15-2021 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
BTW Mitch, I think that she currently has "your" koa Select Series X7, bought used from Wicked Wahine (Staci) last year. My wife really wanted koa and settled for a nice bubinga veneer from stock. Now she has both, but koa is definitely her #1.
Earl, your wife’s Koa Select Series is a beautiful guitar! I sold it when I bought a 3rd generation but eventually sold that too and bought a pre-owned 2nd generation in amber.

Mitch

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber