The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-29-2019, 12:58 PM

Default Case Storage recommendations

Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of moving to a new apartment in Manhattan. For those that have lived (or currently live) in NYC, you know how much space is a premium. We managed to get a storage unit in the building of the condo we just bought - but it's not a large space - it's about 42" square, but very tall (about 11 feet tall). Since we are trying to use it for a variety of items, I was thinking about the possibility of attaching some type of storage rack off the ground (probably around 4 or 5 ft off the ground) for 5-6 acoustic cases. By keeping them off the ground, I maximize the space, and leave room for other items my wife wants to store here. Does anyone know of any guitar case storage rack available that may be designed to mount off the ground, on a wall? I suppose I could just make one - but I have neither the tools or the inclination to make my own.

Steve
Old 04-29-2019, 01:16 PM

Knowing the area I feel your pain. I would talk to your buildings super. He could recommend someone to build a shelf to store the cases on. IMO they are too heavy to suspend off a wall.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 04-29-2019, 02:42 PM

I am also in a limited space apartment situation and while I don't suspend mine I have found that they fit nicely under furniture so for me in my corner with my desk my Martin sits in its case under the entertainment center and my Guild under the coffee table. my fiancee didn't have any plans for this space anyway so it works well. It is way more convenient with my hardshell case than the gig bag though. Hope this helps.
Epiphone Sheraton 2 Pro
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster MIM w/ noiseless pickups
Old 04-30-2019, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Just building a shelf at the proper height may be the easiest way to go. What I liked about the stands was that they angle the case slightly back - so you don't have to worry about the cases tipping. But as I look at most of the designs, while I could mount the backs on the wall, the bottom rack would not really be supported. I guess a custom solution is best here.

Steve
Old 04-30-2019, 11:01 AM

Most apartment bldg storage areas I've had are simply a fenced in area with a door and a padlock.

So no knowing the security of your storage units, I would think that putting them there might be an invitation for theft.

Oh look, guitars!!
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 04-30-2019, 11:15 AM

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/c...storage/10397/
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-30-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
Most apartment bldg storage areas I've had are simply a fenced in area with a door and a padlock.

So no knowing the security of your storage units, I would think that putting them there might be an invitation for theft.

Oh look, guitars!!
Yeah, I'd be leery of that. This one is a separate room with a locked door - it's a boutique condo with only 23 units...I was lucky to get this storage unit because there are only 5 in the building.

The IKEA idea isn't bad...but I think a simple reinforced shelf custom built will be easiest. I can probably rig a simple bungee cord across the front so that I don't risk having a case or two fall down on me while retrieving one!!
Old 05-01-2019, 10:25 AM

Just reading this and have an oddball suggestion. What about some hooks mounted to the ceiling of the unit with some kind of netting (hammock-like material perhaps?) with each guitar in one? It might end up looking like some weird bat filled cave but it could work. Unfortunately I'm all too familiar with the "small apartment" situation.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion