The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-11-2018, 04:40 PM

Default Is this too boomy?

I've been doing some tests for another video...
After uploading the raw track with adjusted lvls it sounded fine on my smartphone earbuds.
But on the final version I decided to add 5% of reverb and a limiter(-0,8 threshhold -0,01 ceiling) to deal with some peaks that were clipping at +1.
And now I think it may be sounding boomy.
Is it the reverb?
(I didn't add any high pass filters)

Last edited by Vindellama; 11-11-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:46 PM

Define boomy.

I think of boomy as excess bass. I hear more of a buildup of low mids. The reverb may be contributing as it will increase apparent sustain.

You might try a high shelf filter before going into the reverb and see if that helps.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 11-11-2018, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

I agree with Gordon but Yes It could be the reverb building in the low mids, especially since you have it directly on the acoustic guitar track itself.
Another way to address this is to set the reverb up in parallel on it's own track. (Depending on your DAW this could be an AUX track, send track , or a Bus track )

You then leave the reverb set at 100% and send the signal from the guitar track to the reverb track and reduce the send level to taste.

Then you can add an EQ in front of that reverb on its track , that has both a high and low pass filter and try this trick below. This gives you both the 100% dry signal you liked before mixing going through to the outputs, and an EQ adjusted reverb going to the outputs as well

It works extremely well on vocals and at about 5:20 minutes in, he uses on an acoustic guitar to good effect also

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 11-11-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Define boomy.

I think of boomy as excess bass. I hear more of a buildup of low mids. The reverb may be contributing as it will increase apparent sustain.

You might try a high shelf filter before going into the reverb and see if that helps.
I'll redo without the reverb and see if it's the source or if youtube is changing the lvls

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I agree with Gordon but Yes It could be the reverb building in the low mids, especially since you have it directly on the acoustic guitar track itself.
Another way to address this is to set the reverb up in parallel on it's own track. (Depending on your DAW this could be an AUX track, send track , or a Bus track )

You then leave the reverb set at 100% and send the signal from the guitar track to the reverb track and reduce the send level to taste.

Then you can add an EQ in front of that reverb on its track , that has both a high and low pass filter and try this trick below. This gives you both the 100% dry signal you liked before mixing going through to the outputs, and an EQ adjusted reverb going to the outputs as well

It works extremely well on vocals and at about 5:20 minutes in, he uses on an acoustic guitar to good effect also
Never heard of this before. I'm going to take a look.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

I don't think the recording is too boomy, but I don't care for it as much as some of your earlier recordings without any effects (i.e. without reverb). To me it seems to have a low end thickness/buildup that is robbing the overall clarity. In general, if I can tell some effect has been added to the raw recording it seems too much for me. I don't have the experience to identify what the cause is, or what to do to address it, but I do appreciate you posting your recordings so I can hopefully learn things from the responses.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 11-12-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:32 AM

Uploaded slightly longer.
Here is without reverb:

With reverb:

On a second note... I need better headphones for monitoring.
And man... Is it hard to get consistent results.
Loved how the last one came out, and having some issues in this one... Again.

Last edited by Vindellama; 11-12-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

What DAW are you using ? (Nothing to do with sound only specifically how to set up a parallel reverb track. u )

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 11-12-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
What DAW are you using ? (Nothing to do with sound only specifically how to set up a parallel reverb track. u )
Studio one
Old 11-12-2018, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindellama View Post
Studio one
Ok so in Studio One you would use a BUS track

If you have not done a parallel FX yet
Then:
You would choose the " Send" option in the Guitar track which creates a BUS track already auto routed and ( the guitar track outputs are still going to the Main outs at 100% unprocessed ).
You set the send level at unity gain or (0 db).... Then on the "stereo" BUS track insert the Pro EQ in the first (top ) insert slot and set it up as in the video. In the second slot of the Bus track you insert the reverb and set it to 100 % you then can reduce the level of the BUS track output to get the desired reverb effect you are after. So what you end up with is both the guitar track 100% unprocessed going to the main outputs and the EQ 'ed reverb track going to the main output as well

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 11-12-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Ok so in Studio One you would use a BUS track

If you have not done a parallel FX yet
Then:
You would choose the " Send" option in the Guitar track which creates a BUS track already auto routed and ( the guitar track outputs are still going to the Main outs at 100% unprocessed ).
You set the send level at unity gain or (0 db).... Then on the "stereo" BUS track insert the Pro EQ in the first (top ) insert slot and set it up as in the video. In the second slot of the Bus track you insert the reverb and set it to 100 % you then can reduce the level of the BUS track output to get the desired reverb effect you are after. So what you end up with is both the guitar track 100% unprocessed going to the main outputs and the EQ 'ed reverb track going to the main output as well
I have another question... When you are going to put your audio on a video.
Is it better to export the audio first at 44000Hz so that premiere won't compress it or is it ok to export the final audio at the original 96000hz sample rate and let premiere compress it into 44000?
Old 11-13-2018, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Does not sound boomy with my rather inexpensive headphones. You are playing the alternating bass loudly with the thumbpick. You might ease that up a bit. I don't think there is a reverb issue.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-13-2018, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

I also don't hear boomy, even listening with speakers that have subs. Reverb's fine.

I wouldn't worry about the differences between where you do sample rate conversion (I think you mean conversion, not "compression"). Even if there is some difference between how different programs do conversion (and rick-slo posted some interesting stuff about this a while back), you'll never hear the difference in a you tube video. You Tube will do their own format conversion anyway. In fact, I'd not bother recording at higher sample rates for a You Tube video, it's just an extra step that won't end up making any difference after uploading to you tube.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindellama View Post
I have another question... When you are going to put your audio on a video.
Is it better to export the audio first at 44000Hz so that premiere won't compress it or is it ok to export the final audio at the original 96000hz sample rate and let premiere compress it into 44000?
I do not know what "premiere" is.

For video I usually just record at 24 bit 48 k samples and just load that into the video editor because 48k is the standard video sample rate

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 11-13-2018, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

Premiere is his video editor, Adobe Premiere
Old 11-14-2018, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Premiere is his video editor, Adobe Premiere
Ah thanks, I'm just guessing then that 48k is it's default sample rate

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD