The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-04-2021, 12:00 PM

Default Tula Mic

I got a new mic called a Tula on a kick starter. This mic has several things going for it: it is inexpensive, good looking, and has a built-in recorder and noise reduction feature. I just recorded this test with it this afternoon and I am pleasantly surprised with how well it works!

https://youtu.be/jtwXsPVDzuc
Old 03-04-2021, 12:08 PM

Here is their website:

https://tulamics.com
Old 03-09-2021, 12:01 PM

Default Tula Mic

A little more on this mic, now that I’ve been playing with it more:

The active noise cancellation is very good. It is licenced from another company called Klevgrand. The noise reduction is sixteen band. You engage it by long preening the noise reduction switch. As you do this it samples the noise and sets the downward expansion thresholds for the sixteen bands.

As you record into the mic memory, it actually records 2 labeled 24 bit files: one with the active noise cancellation and the other without.

When I first got it, it didn’t work as an audio out interface for my iPad. A firmware update fixed this.

My only complaint right now is that it doesn’t do direct monitoring for overdubs with a DAW. They are considering adding this as a new feature through a firmware update.

As you can see from my demo, the noise reduction is very good, and unlike algorithms designed for speech, it works well on vocals with guitar accompaniment.

I like the sound of the mic as well. It has both omni and cardioid pickup patterns. As you can hear from my demo, it sounds very natural even without the built in noise cancelling.

The fold out stand comes off with a half twist, and they included a mic stand mount that screws on to a regular mic stand thread.

It works well as a USB mic on both my Android phone and my iPad. The same USB- C port is used for charging the battery, transferring audio files, and connecting the audio port. You can set the clock so that the time stamp on the audio files matches your local time. The active noise reduction works in both USB audio and standalone modes.

Last edited by lkingston; 03-09-2021 at 12:17 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD