The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-24-2020, 05:54 AM

Question Installing K&K in Gibson G-45 – hole in the bridge plate causing problems?

Hi acoustic guitar guys!

I’ve searched the internet but haven’t find a sufficient info on this…

I am thinking about a pickup change in my Gibson G-45 Studio to K&K Pure Mini, but when I took a look inside the guitar at the bridge plate, I found this hole (seems to be quite common thing on Gibson guitars).

The Hole is right in the position where I believe the middle transducer head of K&K should be glued on.

Do you guys think this will be OK, or will it seriously negatively affect the tone?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts !

Old 10-24-2020, 06:14 AM

It will be no problem.

But you should consider a ToneDexter to clean up the factory pickup. It will sound just as good as a K&K with a ToneDexter, and dramatically better than a K&K with no ToneDexter. Also, you retain the stage volume advantages of the UST.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 10-24-2020, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

+1 on Jon's suggestion. My J-45 has a K&K and I really like the way it sounds through a ToneDexter. More open and high-def. I have a Red-Eye and K&K Trinity Preamp (my K&K includes the K&K mic) as well and prefer the TD even though it uses a signal only from the PWM discs, not the mic. So you might end up wanting a TD anyway and your UST should work great w/ it. Maybe save the cost of the PWM and use it towards a TD.

Tim

Last edited by Slim; 10-24-2020 at 12:56 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-24-2020, 10:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

Ah, the infamous Swiss bridge plates
I agree with Jon Fields, as usual.

I should add, I'm not a fan of clips and attaching wires on the top plate. Would rather see them attached to the sides, if you have to use them. Not that it will make a dramatic difference, but the mass of the cables may damp the top vibrations a little.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification