The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-22-2020, 02:59 PM

Default Would you buy a high-end instrument with a barn door pickup system?

A local sale for a bourgeois OMC at a really great price has me asking myself this question. The system in question is a fishman aura. A buddy of mine has the exact same configuration in his Gibson songwriter and it sounds fantastic, but it is a big old fat barn door cut into the side of the guitar that can never be undone. Any guidance?
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2009 Breedlove American 000 MM
2007 Breedlove DR Deluxe Custom
2010s Eastman E10OM SB
Old 09-22-2020, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

I used to own a Taylor 714ce that had a barn door. I sold the instrument for reasons other than the barn door, which I liked immensely.

It was extremely convenient to reach all the controls on the fly and changing the battery was a snap; both very handy attributes when playing gigs. I suspect the barn doors took a knock from many for aesthetic reasons, but for me the practicality could not be beat. Frankly, I miss it.
Old 09-22-2020, 03:34 PM

I was never a fan of the look and also wondered if it affected sound.
Then I bought a Washburn with the barndoor and a whole in the bottom for the guitar cable and a battery box.
I like the set up but not sure I would want it on a higher end guitar.
Old 09-22-2020, 03:49 PM

For me, No.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-22-2020, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccorobb View Post
A local sale for a bourgeois OMC at a really great price has me asking myself this question. The system in question is a fishman aura. A buddy of mine has the exact same configuration in his Gibson songwriter and it sounds fantastic, but it is a big old fat barn door cut into the side of the guitar that can never be undone. Any guidance?
Hi Rocco-robb…

My main appreciation of guitars if how they sound in the room. If I liked that aspect enough (as it sounds now), the price was right, and I was looking for a guitar the current system would not eliminate it.

Electronics can be changed (even leaving others in place), barn doors altered (by a luthier), or it could be dealt with by simply disconnecting the internal system, and reconnecting it if/when I sell it someday.

If Phil Keaggy was selling one of his with the Baggs small triangular side plate Olsons, I'd not discount it because of the electronics. Those sound amazing recorded (not through the electronics).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-22-2020, 04:39 PM

No, I wouldn’t.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-22-2020, 04:49 PM

I look at guitars as tools and not pieces of furniture. I just play it if it sounds good. All the scratches and dings have a story behind it. Barn doors don't bother me or my audience.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

I would not add a barn door to a high end (or any) guitar. But if one crossed my path and i thought it sounded great and the price was good then yep. i would get it.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 09-22-2020, 06:29 PM

yup. Wouldn't think twice about it.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:33 PM

Does a Takamine P5DC qualify? If so, then yes. Hi end is a somewhat relative term in these parts.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:39 PM

Nope, no way!

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 09-22-2020, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

If it’s mostly for stage and I needed those controls then yes.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

It depends on what the guitar is primarily to be used for. Gigging guitar? Barndoor I'm fine with. My Cole Clarks are my go-to guitars for gigging and open mics (back when we actually had those) as the ability to tweak my tone on the fly at my fingertips was essential to my varied playing styles.

But if I was looking for something high-end like a nice custom Martin, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, Collings, etc., that I would likely not use playing out with the exception of the occasional outing just to show it off to friends then I'd prefer no barndoor since it's primarily an acoustic only guitar.

Now if you're talking REALLY high-end, like an Olson, Froggy, Hatcher, etc., then no barn door, no way, no how!!!

This is in fact pretty much what I have right now. Two Cole Clarks with 'barn door' (smaller footprint though) and then a nice Martin custom dread with a sound hole pup in it.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:26 PM

Thanks all. I have had barn doors in the past and actually still have one - an Ibanez Artwood concert that was my teaching guitar for ages. I agree that it is a very practical solution for the gigging guitarist, and for a guitar that is used as a 'tool' I wouldn't hesitate to have another.

But some guitars are more than mere tools, right? They are more like sculptures, works of art, and over time become companions. I'm not at all afraid of bumps and bruises (my #1 is a vintage D28 that suffered a headstock snap at some point in its life), but a barn door is a different kind of 'wound'. For some reason a Bourgeois w/ a barn door feels like a ferrari with a roof rack to me. It might be functional but . . .

I think I'm going to pass on this one
Old 09-22-2020, 10:04 PM

I don't get this prejudice against barn door electronics in high end guitars if they're factory original. To me, that's just snobbery.

I had a barn door Fishman in a really nice Taylor with Brazilian back and sides. It was factory original. No biggie. I just sent a highly flamed all koa K14 with factory barn door back to Taylor for a back crack repair (seller lied to me that it was smaller than it was and professionally repaired... crack came apart pretty quickly). When they called me today, they asked if I was interested in an ES2 installation. Uh, no thanks. I was polite and didn't say I prefer the old Fishman. ;-)

Both pretty high end guitars (they had me insure the K14 for over $5200 replacement cost when I shipped) and both with barn door electronics. Awesome for gigging.

Now, would I add one to my McCollum or D40 Brazilan? Nope. Probably not even my 1980 HD28. But factory original? No problem. If the guitar sounds good with the pickup system in, it IS good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification