The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-31-2018, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I've never watched "Enterprise" believe it or not.

I hated Deep Space 9 for some reason. I think the Ferengi ruined it for me, I couldn't stand them. Then again it took me a while before I warmed up to Next Gen. I found the first officer guilty of overacting somewhat, but he got better over time.

Guilty of being spoiled by the original.
The original had the benefit of being revived by fandom, not this current tug of war between studios. I think CBS really shot themselves in the foot by putting the kabosh on the fan fiction/production efforts in court.

DS9 is usually touted as the best of all the series. Wasn't the first officer a woman, though? It didn't seem to jump the shark as completely as Enterprise did.

The last season of "Enterprise" was pretty much the death knell of the franchise, IMO. They completely rushed things and dropped the ball with regards to writing. I have to admit that I was already fatigued by Voyager though so I may have been ready to move on. Paramount seemed to fumble the football at that point.

TNG seemed to end on a high note and I'm hoping that they don't screw over Patrick Stewart like Disney screwed over Mark Hamill. I'm hoping that Stewart has a big say in Picard's development. I'd hate to see him reintroduced as some sort of hermit drinking blue milk from space walruses.

It appears that with the reintroduction of his character they will be abandoning these lazy writing devices of "reboots" and "time travel" and are actually looking forward. I grant you that Star Trek has never been high art, but they got very complacent over the past 30 years and relied on time travel and alternate realities as poor excuses to actually progress plots that they themselves were rehashed. "Into Darkness" anyone? Sloppy.

As for CBS, I understand that they are ironically being sued for plagiarism. I doubt it will go very far though. It's a weak argument and all the All Access money will surely be more than enough to cover the legal fees and payoffs.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Ah darn. Just finished season 2 and was starting to think it might have been my favorite show in quite some time. Oh well.
For sure--writing, acting, and production values all top-notch, and some of the most genuinely fun bits I've seen in a long while. Sadly doesn't look like there'll be a revival (I guess one can always hope).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
I actually liked the Orville early on but agree; social commentary in this day and age comes across more like some sort of indoctrination. In a way the original series did the same thing but at least The Orville doesn't take itself so seriously - though at times it should as some of the humor is forced at inappropriate times.
"Forced" is a good word for it, both the humor and the commentary--the latter strikes me with such a plasticky, artificial tone (so to speak) that I find myself put off even by things I agree with or approve of.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
I've watched the first episode ....To me it's a mockery of the original with more style over substance .....
I agree. I watched the original in the 60's on a B&W TV, then its reruns in the 70's. It was eye opening to discover that the shirts were different colors, and that the colors meant something. Next Generation was good - the better episodes of TNG beat most of the movies IMO. But with each passing reboot, my interest levels dropped. Deep Space Nine - watched it mostly. Voyager - watched some. Enterprise - watched two or three episodes. I watched the free episode when it broadcast, but no way will I pay for further content after watching that one.

Gene Roddenberry's work has really gone downhill since he passed away. [sigh]

The Orville is not bad, and the self-deprecating humor is a big part of that, poking fun at the whole sci-fi genre. But if they get too preachy, I'm out.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:

I hated Deep Space 9 for some reason. I think the Ferengi ruined it for me, I couldn't stand them. Then again it took me a while before I warmed up to Next Gen. I found the first officer guilty of overacting somewhat, but he got better over time.

Guilty of being spoiled by the original.
Enterprise was great although the final season drops off a little. I never liked any of the characters in Deep Space 9. I gave it another go a couple of years ago on Netflix and watched the first 3 seasons (or so). Only "so-so" IMHO. Nowhere near TNG, Voyager, or Enterprise, all great shows.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I watched the first (free) episode and wasn't impressed. I'm certainly not going to pay to watch more episodes. I pay $120 a month to not watch a lot of crap already
We have a winner....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 09-01-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I watched the first (free) episode and wasn't impressed. I'm certainly not going to pay to watch more episodes. I pay $120 a month to not watch a lot of crap already (my wife insists!)
I cut my cable a couple of months ago. I watch Netflix (pay) and Youtube (free). I miss being able to put on sports but I don't miss any of the cable shows.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:

There of course are some caveats when I said DS9 was the best series. DS9’s first season is the absolute worst first season of any Trek show. This kills it for most everyone, and I completely understand. The show, characters, and writing developed more over the seasons than any other series. The galaxy got rich; terrible actors got good, and the Dominion Wars started one of the best story arcs in all the ST timeline. The abandonment of episodic storytelling for serial shows around the beginning of season 3 fit the station based show, and it changed everything. I’m really not trying to win converts, but in the end, it had the best characters. It will never unseat the first two series as the most popular, but it has a very deserving place in the pantheon.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 09-04-2018, 09:47 AM

Well, if we're rating shows, Tops is TNG, followed by Firefly and then Babylon 5.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:18 PM

I haven't watched the new series, but my CSB is that I went to college with Doug Jones. We were both in the Theater department @ the time.

Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender MIJ Telecaster Custom
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience
Old 09-04-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorgtr View Post
I haven't watched the new series, but my CSB is that I went to college with Doug Jones. We were both in the Theater department @ the time.

You look at the work he has done, and it's astounding! I'm surprised he hasn't injured himself on the set of Discovery with the boots he has too wear for this costume!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 09-09-2018, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

I'm stuck at the alternative universe episode in the first season. Its a re-hash of a similar story line from the first Star Trek with Kirk and Spock. If I can get through that one....

It seems as though there is more drama (personal stuff) than scifi and related story line. If I wanted drama I could watch General Hospital,

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:11 AM
Charter Member

I have been completely smitten with Michelle Yeoh for probably 20 years, so I watched the entire first season. It was okay. I find many of the characters to be interesting even if the major storyline is cliche for the genre.

Last edited by Zissou Intern; 09-22-2018 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:43 PM

Time to revive the zombie thread: Discovery is back tomorrow!!

Looking forward to where it goes in this season, but is anyone else sad to see Alara leave The Orville (which I enjoyed just as much)? Alara was a win-win character - a fantastic role model for young women, succeeding in a traditionally male role, whose character was able to make interesting commentary on humans, but also the best looking alien in a sci-fi series. Hope they find a way for her and her dad (I've always loved Robert Picardo) to come back.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
Time to revive the zombie thread: Discovery is back tomorrow!!

Looking forward to where it goes in this season, but is anyone else sad to see Alara leave The Orville (which I enjoyed just as much)? Alara was a win-win character - a fantastic role model for young women, succeeding in a traditionally male role, whose character was able to make interesting commentary on humans, but also the best looking alien in a sci-fi series. Hope they find a way for her and her dad (I've always loved Robert Picardo) to come back.
I recently watched the first 4 Orville episodes on a couple of flights. I'm surprised how much I enjoy the show. I'm sad to hear that Alara is leaving the show. I like(d) her.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic