The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-13-2020, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Wow. In my musical community, with only a couple exceptions, nobody's good guitars ever leave the house.
It is a mid range Maton - I could buy three of these here for the price of some imported famous models .....pre Covid. The factory has been shut down for months but must be gearing up - a local online guitar shop had an empty Maton rack but now have about 8 of various types. No Custom Shop yet....

I tell you, if we make it through this virus, I am buying a very expensive full Custom Shop 808 in custom gloss black and some pearl trim! And a spare!!!

It will be strange sound wise if audiences have to spread right out - the classic ‘full house’ sound phenomenon may never be again.

BluesKing777.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I think Br1ck's talking about the setup(s) I currently use, not all the random pickup tests. It works great for me live, for what I do - note: I'm not playing in a loud rock band, I play in settings mostly intended for listening (well, I did, pre-Covid....).
That make sense! I play in louder settings (typically without a drummer) so I have to watch what I use.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
That make sense! I play in louder settings (typically without a drummer) so I have to watch what I use.
My preferred pickup (well, one of them...) is a Barbera Soloist, which is quite good with feedback, partly due to the every other string being out of phase. I'd say it would work as well as any acoustic pickup other than a mag in loud settings. But that's not a situation I run into anymore. I just like the sound.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
My preferred pickup (well, one of them...) is a Barbera Soloist, which is quite good with feedback, partly due to the every other string being out of phase. I'd say it would work as well as any acoustic pickup other than a mag in loud settings. But that's not a situation I run into anymore. I just like the sound.
I have always wanted to try that one. I watched a video recently of Taylor Swift live that was posted on the Barbera Facebook page. I guess she uses it in her main guitars now. It did sound nice but for strumming, it definitely had a fairly noticeable quack. My only other worry is that some say the saddle is close to bone tonally and my Taylor did not like bone at all. It was far too bright.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I have always wanted to try that one. I watched a video recently of Taylor Swift live that was posted on the Barbera Facebook page. I guess she uses it in her main guitars now. It did sound nice but for strumming, it definitely had a fairly noticeable quack. My only other worry is that some say the saddle is close to bone tonally and my Taylor did not like bone at all. It was far too bright.
ToneDexter solves the quack (which any UST has). For me, the Barbera actually seems to have improved the acoustic tone of several guitars I've put it in, but it is as hard as bone, maybe harder. So if you don't like bone, it's probably not going to work for you.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:04 PM

I installed a K&K in my 1996 Taylor 412. I play through a Loud Box Mini. On many occasions I have listened to FB videos taken by audience members at our gigs. In my opinion, I would waste my time, energy, and money trying to improve on the tonality I hear. It might be improved, but only by a small amount.

I will spend my time where it will do the most good- learning to play better.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 10-22-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Can you please post a soundcloud comparison between a mic in front of the Guitar and the Dazzo pickup Recorded straight into an audio-interface with no EQ and no Reverb?

I believe There is very few comparison like that on the net. The only one I can remember is Toni Lingren, and the Dazzo Take sounds like a pickup while the mic take sounds like a Martin. I would say the same from Doug Young’s demo.
I remember you asked me to do that. I don't record, so I didn't.

I can say without question that hearing the Dazzo direct into a soundboard or preamp through headphones isn't the sound I am looking for. It sounds like a piezo and it's just okay. Not bad, but not great either. The magic is when it's used live and though a PA speaker or flat uncolored amp. The "air" in the sound is there. It in no way sounds like a piezo.

I bet there are Dazzo users out there that can supply what you need.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 10-22-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
I remember you asked me to do that. I don't record, so I didn't.

I can say without question that hearing the Dazzo direct into a soundboard or preamp through headphones isn't the sound I am looking for. It sounds like a piezo and it's just okay. Not bad, but not great either. The magic is when it's used live and though a PA speaker or flat uncolored amp. The "air" in the sound is there. It in no way sounds like a piezo.

I bet there are Dazzo users out there that can supply what you need.
I see what you mean. If it works on a PA speaker then it is great.

Actually I once tried TA Amulet + IR in a the monitor speaker room of my local dealer and we had the most convincing results with the Focal speakers. The dealer, a friend and myself, all agreed that the sound was pretty close to a mic sound.

However If I would just use my JBL eon speaker or the SR JAM 150+ the benefit of IR would be less obvious, especially with my DIY SBT pickup.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 10-29-2020, 11:30 PM

I prefer a natural tone, when I play life, because I play mostly celtic fingerstyle. My guitar is a Taylor 914ce and I combine the ES2 with either a DPA 4099 Core and/or a preamp with IR, depending on the situation. When the venue is to difficult for the mic I use just the preamp with IR (Fishman Aura or Nux Optima Air). I play through a Fishman SA330x set, with the SA Xpand and the SA Sub, and I'm very pleased with the sound of the system. I get a very intimate sound, close to the sound of my guitar played at home.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I like to check in occasionally to ask what everyone is currently using to amplify their guitars but I also wonder this week: What IS great amplified tone?

Do you want your guitar to sound like it has a mic in front of it? Do you want it to sound the way that it doesn’t when you sit and play it? Do you want a larger than life tone etc?

I just played a live stream on my channel with the K&K and IR and I feel like it sounds very natural but there were moments when I wanted it to have more grit (the Anthem sounds natural but also has a very bright and cutting sound which is great for soloing).

Please take a quick listen and let me know what you would change about this tone:

Your "best natural tone" would also sound crappy depending on the situation. When recording acoustic guitars, many times, certain frequencies are cut, and many times, that lovely tone turns into a "bad" tone. But that bad tone is the one that actually fits better into any mix.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 11-02-2020, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer_PR View Post
Your "best natural tone" would also sound crappy depending on the situation. When recording acoustic guitars, many times, certain frequencies are cut, and many times, that lovely tone turns into a "bad" tone. But that bad tone is the one that actually fits better into any mix.
Agreed. A band mix is different to a solo mix.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Please take a quick listen and let me know what you would change about this tone:
I'm listening on my small JBL studio monitors with the matching sub. I think it sounds thin and lacks the low end and boom a dread should deliver. I'd just want a fuller sound.

As for me, when I play live in my duo I want a bigger than life sound. The last couple of years I've been playing my Rick Turner Renaissance RS6 and Deuce guitars at pretty much every live gig. I can add as much bottom end and volume without worrying about feedback. I tend to go with a natural "full" sound, but with extra low end since my guitar ends up being the bass, percussion and chordal instrument for my duo.

YMMV
Old 11-03-2020, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

I have enjoyed very good amplified tone from a Bose L1 Compact and my Martin Dreads with LR Baggs Anthem PU's. I think many of us (me included) get paralysis by analysis and lose sight of the forest through the trees as we chase the 'last ounce' of honest acoustic tone amplified. (My guitar but louder)

I submit the notion that great amplified sound comes in a variety of tones. I want the woody acoustic flavor of my guitar to be accurately represented firstly. But beyond that, I want a super pleasing sound that is inspiring. Lastly, its gotta be easy for gigging, plug N play!

So after all the years with a Bose L1 Compact, I just received the brand new Bose L1 Pro8 today and I quickly plugged in, dialed a couple knobs, selected a tone match profile for a Baggs PU in the settings menu. (Strangely they don't have the Anthem, but they had the iMix so I chose that)

Here is the first impressions (right after unboxing) I am blown away quite honestly. THIS to me is great amplified tone. Whether anyone else thinks so, I'm super happy.

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification