The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-14-2019, 01:25 PM

You must be old and not technologically up to date, lol. It’s very simple, you send a text to the ad on CL.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:30 PM

This post was inadvertently misleading. Unfortunately I assumed it to be about guitars. It should have been under the Open Mic section.
I also assumed there was this "vast" pricing/value disparity. It wasn't that big of a deal. That's on me.
At the end of the day, with apologies to the OP the whole thing seems silly now.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-14-2019, 01:33 PM

I don’t have a clue what CL is and believe me I am technologically up to date, though I maybe old but that all depends on what you perceive to be old,am I 25, 35,45,maybe 70 but saying that ,we are all old here in the UK ,and have no understanding of the world of tech, bless America ......�� I forgot to add the LOL thing,

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-14-2019 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Removed prohibited topic
Old 07-14-2019, 01:34 PM

Rockdog49: Yes, it could very well apply to guitars which is why I posted here and left it kinda open to interpretation as I know many here have probably encountered such a situation.

Bain: CL is Craigslist, a popular online “Classifieds” where people sell things.

Last edited by Kalani; 07-14-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:51 PM

AHH Craigslist CL nope not on my radar , though abbreviations like CL works if you are clued up on sales and selling, I’m not , but thanks for the info, I will know in future, isn’t it great we learn new things everyday , seriously thanks for the update, 😄
Old 07-14-2019, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain View Post
AHH Craigslist CL nope not on my radar , though abbreviations like CL works if you are clued up on sales and selling, I’m not , but thanks for the info, I will know in future, isn’t it great we learn new things everyday , seriously thanks for the update, 😄
Here's a link for Craigslist in London....https://london.craigslist.org
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-14-2019, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
Lots of interesting and varied responses. I guess I should let everyone know what really happened, especially since some of you seem to be drawing conclusions about me without knowing the whole story.

So I went to a garage sale yesterday and saw some tools (wrench/socket set), a top brand that I heard was good: Snap-On. I like to work on my own cars (via YouTube, lol) but I’m not a professional mechanic by any means so I slowly accumulate tools thru garage sales.

I asked the woman how much they wanted. She called her husband several times on the phone and he didn’t answer. She said they need to move out by the end of the month as they’re moving to another state to be closer to the best polo fields/associations. She said, “he’s not answering so too bad, we need to get rid of crap. How about $30?” Done.

As soon as I got home I looked on EBay and estimated these tools would run about $400-$500 brand new—I had no idea they were THAT expensive! I immediately felt bad so I texted the woman and said I didn’t want her to get in trouble with her husband so I’ll gladly return it if that’s the case. Haven’t heard from them and they removed the garage sale ad from CL.

I thought this would make an interesting topic in general and was really interested in reading varied views and perspectives in similar circumstances. Enjoyed reading your responses (no matter how condemning, lol)!

interesting thread for sure !

btw....do you work on old volvos?
Old 07-14-2019, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the info just checked it out , eBay 1970 I think...😊 or maybe not... further investigation is needed...👀
Old 07-14-2019, 02:20 PM

I haven’t read the thread but it’s common out in the “wild west” where I live, frontier-mentality western North America that a valuable item tagged for 1% of its market value will be attempted to bargained down to 0.1%, after which if the buyer is successful he will return home to boast about the acquisition to his friends.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Used tools generally don't have very good resale value. Mostly you see them for sale when someone retires or dies. My father-in-law had a professional machine shop in his basement. He kept working there after he sold the house to my wife. He was still working there until shortly before hr died. I sold everything for best offer. Mantainence workers and trade school teachers came and bought everything at great prices. They got good deals and I got an empty workshop.

I think it was a win for everyone!
Old 07-14-2019, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
Well, there's either a man in the mirror or there isn't.
Be nice if it were really that simple

Seems to me the question of the objectivity of the perception of reflection , can be a factor also

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-14-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
A full-sized upright is about 52 inches high. (They can be as short as 36" )
The 52 you are referring to must be the height in inches since all modern acoustic pianos, grand and upright, have 88 keys, not 52. (a few 6-figure Bösendorfers do have more than 88 keys.)
52 white keys
Old 07-14-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
Lots of interesting and varied responses. I guess I should let everyone know what really happened, especially since some of you seem to be drawing conclusions about me without knowing the whole story.

So I went to a garage sale yesterday and saw some tools (wrench/socket set), a top brand that I heard was good: Snap-On. I like to work on my own cars (via YouTube, lol) but I’m not a professional mechanic by any means so I slowly accumulate tools thru garage sales.

I asked the woman how much they wanted. She called her husband several times on the phone and he didn’t answer. She said they need to move out by the end of the month as they’re moving to another state to be closer to the best polo fields/associations. She said, “he’s not answering so too bad, we need to get rid of crap. How about $30?” Done.

As soon as I got home I looked on EBay and estimated these tools would run about $400-$500 brand new—I had no idea they were THAT expensive! I immediately felt bad so I texted the woman and said I didn’t want her to get in trouble with her husband so I’ll gladly return it if that’s the case. Haven’t heard from them and they removed the garage sale ad from CL.

I thought this would make an interesting topic in general and was really interested in reading varied views and perspectives in similar circumstances. Enjoyed reading your responses (no matter how condemning, lol)!
Kalani, thank you for clarifying the matter. Kudos to you for going out of your way to do the right thing!

Enjoy those SnapOn tools. They are (arguably) some of the best ones available. The greater appeal of them is their LIFETIME unlimited warranty. The catch...finding a SnapOn tool dealer when you have a broken item to have repaired/replaced under warranty. So good luck finding the SnapOn dealer when that day comes
Old 07-14-2019, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
I bought a property at auction that was worth more than double what I paid. But that was an auction, anyone could have bid - and I was delighted with my purchase. There doesn't seem to be an ethics dilemma on eBay purchases.
eBay auctions are the market at work. You can darn well expect that the bidding process will raise the final price of the item to within an acceptable range of what the market thinks it is worth. It may not happen all the time, but it usually does. The points stated above are very valid; therefore, a guitar going for what appears to be a steal of a price is more probably going for what the market thinks it is actually worth and not what some collector's magazine or internet forum thinks.
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 07-14-2019, 06:54 PM

Disappointed in some responses?
I'm not.
People just differ.
They always have and always will.
Of course every difference is not okay, but we have laws against that stuff.

I see the wide range of responses to the OP's question as simply diversity and I try to respect everyone's perspective - that is as long as they take responsibility for their standards being their personal preference and apply them only to themselves, and don't live as though everyone should agree with them.

I suspect some may see this as intolerance, but I see it as addressing intolerance and respecting diversity.
Not tolerating intolerance is not intolerance.

Yes, obviously some things are clearly wrong, theft, murder, etc.
But there are laws against that stuff.
The OP's scenario is not that stuff.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic