The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-14-2010, 08:01 AM

Default acoustic amp which can amplify 2 vocals and 2 guitars

Is there any acoustic amp which can amplify 2 vocals and 2 guitars with a good quality sound in the price range 500-1000$?
Ibanez SA 260 FM
Roland Cube Lite
Zoom G3XN
Bose S1 Pro
Old 05-14-2010, 08:25 AM

how much power do you need?
Old 05-14-2010, 08:35 AM

100 watts, 4 channels, effects and a $450 price:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/product...t=S400D&cid=10

100 watts, 3 channels, effects, a $400 price and deeper bass response than above:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/product...product=AG100D

If I were outfitting a group with 2 guitars and 2 singers I would get a pair of these ($760):

350 watts, 3 channels, no effects, a $380 price:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/product...?product=LM12A

Last edited by Herb Hunter; 05-14-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:44 AM
*mahoganut*

Justinian - you can also consider a simple mixer on the front end, and then just "main" out to the amp's input. I use my Behringer mixer that way... some don't like Behringer, but I've had no issues with running my passive pickups, Taylor ES, Audix condenser, and / or Audix dynamic mics into the Behringer and out to my Rivera Sedona Lite.

This also gives you some maneuvering room with EQ and Vol, as the small mixer can be back with you while you place the amp to its best advantage (no feedback, etc.).

The only downside is one more piece of gear to haul, but it's a small one.

A small mixer can be acquired quite inexpensively. Here's one similar to mine: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...xer?sku=631238

Just another thought...

rr/Phil
Old 05-14-2010, 08:52 AM

The AER Domino would be a good choice, if you can find one "used". It's basically two AER Compact 60/2's in one cabinet. The latest version of that amp(Domino 3?) is out of your budget range however. ($1799.)

You may also want to consider a powered PA speaker, and a compact mixer. For $1000, I'd probably go with a Yorkville NX55p and a Soundcraft Notepad 124FX mixer. For a few hundred less, the Yorkville NX25p may suit your needs.

The Allen & Heath ZED 10FX is also a very nicely featured compact mixer.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:04 AM

The power I would need is 50-100W.

This is interesting suggestion with a mixer on the front.
Any good combination (recomendation) of acoustic amp/mixer?
Ibanez SA 260 FM
Roland Cube Lite
Zoom G3XN
Bose S1 Pro
Old 05-14-2010, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Just a note if you decide to check out the Carvin S400D, you will need an extension speaker for 2 people. I've used that setup many times and it works pretty well, but if you run the second mic through just the S400D you will be battling feedback constantly with any sort of volume. Adding the second speaker eliminates this and also sounds much better. The good news is you can use any 8 ohm speaker (though Carvin offers an inexpensive matching one) and you can also run off the internal battery if you're doing a remote outdoor gig. That was what I primarily used my Carvin for.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:39 PM

Where's that fancy looking unit with quite a few inputs that's been popping up around here?

A Yamaha mg82? would be a great small 4 channel mixer (2 inputs have compression) and a powered speaker would be a great combo.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:13 AM

We have a Roland SA-300 and it is awesome. Incredible warm sound and features that actually work as advertised (like feedback suppression).
Old 05-15-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW1 View Post
Just a note if you decide to check out the Carvin S400D, you will need an extension speaker for 2 people. I've used that setup many times and it works pretty well, but if you run the second mic through just the S400D you will be battling feedback constantly with any sort of volume. Adding the second speaker eliminates this and also sounds much better. The good news is you can use any 8 ohm speaker (though Carvin offers an inexpensive matching one) and you can also run off the internal battery if you're doing a remote outdoor gig. That was what I primarily used my Carvin for.
The increased susceptibility to feedback with the addition of a second microphone would apply to most single speaker systems and is not an issue particular to the S400D.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
The increased susceptibility to feedback with the addition of a second microphone would apply to most single speaker systems and is not an issue particular to the S400D.
And wouldn't this much more so be a matter of the microphone(s) and their placement, rather than of the design of the Carvin (or any other amp/speaker maker)?

David
Páirc Thoir Thuaidh

Old 05-15-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDavid View Post
And wouldn't this much more so be a matter of the microphone(s) and their placement, rather than of the design of the Carvin (or any other amp/speaker maker)?
I certainly think so. The configuration is the same as that of a JBL EON10 G2, a self-powered, PA speaker consisting of a 10-inch speaker below a high frequency horn.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Musical minimalist

sent you a PM....

Old 05-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Well, I gigged with a Carvin S400D twice a week for two years and I can tell you that even if I put the one unit in another room with two mics running it would feedback at low volume. Adding a second speaker immediately eliminates the problem and also increases the output, per the Carvin manual. I couldn't even hook up a second mic for announcements without battling feedback. That's not a knock on the Carvin, obviously I used mine quite a bit and thought it was a pretty nice little system. But if you want to run two vocals, you'll need to add the second speaker if you want to play at any volume level suitable to fill even a small room. As a two speaker system it is more than adequate.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:22 PM

I know there are amps out there that have 4 inputs but, I would think that 2 guitars and 2 mic's running through the same amp sound a bit muddy and without much definition. I'd probably look for a small PA where you can get more separation. Just my $.02 worth.

'03 Martin OM-28V
'04 Breedlove McKenzie Mando
'05 Seagull S12+
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'07 Takamine TC132SC
'08 CA 7M-CE, '08 CA Cargo
SWR California Blonde II, AAD Cub

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification