The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-21-2019, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor007 View Post
An OM1A JL & OM3AMr Varnish for me. Love their OMs!
I bet that Madagascar is nice. Got a picture?
Old 07-21-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post
Acoustic Music Works refers to it as "the gateway drug of fine, fine guitars" - the Collings OM1. Unadorned and unapologetic in its simplicity - sitka/mahogany with understated appointments - it becomes a broken-in thing of beauty.

The Collings OM1 was definitely my gateway guitar. Up and down the food chain I have gone - making the trip multiple times. But, on a Saturday afternoon where the rest of the house is quiet, I get to enjoy the sweetness, warmth, and chime. It is a better guitar than I am player, but it forgives me of my mistakes and rewards me when I get it right - it is a friend of the best and truest kind.

Thank you Bill Collings....You made guitars that withstand the test of time.

Beautiful guitar!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 07-21-2019, 02:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post
Acoustic Music Works refers to it as "the gateway drug of fine, fine guitars" - the Collings OM1...
Mine was literally the gateway - a few years ago I traded mine for the deposit on a handbuilt guitar... and then really missed it. It's the only guitar I've ever sold that I regretted.

I was lucky enough to be able to acquire another OM1 last year and, aside from the headplate (my first was Brazilian rosewood, this one looks like ebony) it looks, plays and sounds identical to my first. Collings guitars really are remarkably consistent. I never intend to sell this one!

In some ways, the OM1 is the perfect guitar: it can lay its hand to virtually any style. There are many different-sounding and -feeling guitars out there, and subjectively some players will like and dislike them for different reasons; but objectively (fit, finish, elegance of design, playability, consistency of tone) I don't think you will find a better guitar anywhere than the Collings OM1.

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Agreed. My baked OM1 SS is my favorite acoustic. Bought it from a fellow AGFer last year.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Hey Kori. You've had a few different flavors of these, correct? I'd love to know how you rank them -- the JL, the A tops, the baked tops, and the short scales too.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 07-21-2019, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Hey Kori. You've had a few different flavors of these, correct? I'd love to know how you rank them -- the JL, the A tops, the baked tops, and the short scales too.
Hey Brendan....Great question, and I probably have a lousy answer!

Honestly, I think it truly comes down to the individual guitar. While Collings is super consistent, wood is not. Profound, right? In other words, I think any of the above can shine, but universally, not always so.

I have had some baked tops that I have really liked and I have played others that I thought sounded so-so. Adi can take awhile to tame but, with play time it can really be fantastic. Same with un-baked Sitka...sometimes it has the headroom of Adi (like my OM1) but, sweeter and warmer. And, some sitka topped ones have just been a little too flat for me. It all just depends.....

As for the short scales, I have enjoyed them but, always seem to go back to full scale. I prefer the added punch and since I capo a lot, full scale seems to work better for me.

Sorry my reply was not more definitive but, honestly, every one has been unique and I can't pick a favorite. Oh, but I will add...the JL is much drier than any of the standard Collings I have played. Same with my D2HT - still a Collings voice but, not as much chime to my ear.

Last edited by Kh1967; 07-21-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:11 PM

I've owned a Bunch of guitars and a handful of Collings and nothing beats them. There's some that are as good for me but nothing is "better." My Current OM2H Trad is killer. Enough that it makes me want to buy the mahogany equivalent. I will say that I tend to like Collings in sitka/EIR and Adi/mahogany. My current OM is my first baked sitka and its a keeper!
Old 07-22-2019, 05:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
Mine was literally the gateway - a few years ago I traded mine for the deposit on a handbuilt guitar... and then really missed it. It's the only guitar I've ever sold that I regretted.

I was lucky enough to be able to acquire another OM1 last year and, aside from the headplate (my first was Brazilian rosewood, this one looks like ebony) it looks, plays and sounds identical to my first. Collings guitars really are remarkably consistent. I never intend to sell this one!

In some ways, the OM1 is the perfect guitar: it can lay its hand to virtually any style. There are many different-sounding and -feeling guitars out there, and subjectively some players will like and dislike them for different reasons; but objectively (fit, finish, elegance of design, playability, consistency of tone) I don't think you will find a better guitar anywhere than the Collings OM1.

Cheers,
David
Glad you found yourself another OM1. Good for you!

The OM1 really can go many places. It is incredibly versatile and to your point, very consistent. I played mine a lot of the weekend and it just sounded great.

Enjoy yours!
Old 07-23-2019, 02:58 PM

Never played an OM1, but I owned an OM2H, the sweetest sounding guitar I've ever owned, but the neck profile didn't suit me. I do have a sitka/mahogany C10 deep body though, so probably recognise some of what the OP is on about. I don't think there is a tonewood combination Bill wasn't good with.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:22 PM

Count me as another fan of the OM1. Mine is the Vintage Now model, and I find the VN neck profile and string spacing more to my liking than the standard OM model. I was fortunate to purchase mine from a friend, who loaned me the guitar for a week (and I fell in love of course), then decided to sell it later. Lucky me!
Old 08-12-2019, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

I agree that the Collings OM1 guitars have a magic to them. Their understated elegance and their "jack-of-all-trades" capabilities make them a wonderful choice. I enjoy their dry, woody tone and perfect note decay. They can be VERY LOUD or so soft and sweet.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:12 PM

I had an OM1 SB for a while, got a great price on it at the Podium and sold it for a little more than I paid for it a couple of years later. I corrected my error by buying an OM1-T a couple of years ago.

My daughter went to UT and when she was a sophomore, wife and I were in Austin for parents weekend (probably early 90s). I called the Collings shop and asked if we could come out and visit. They said sure come on out (it was before the organized tours and they were still in their old shop with a much smaller number of employees). It was probably 3ish on a Friday afternoon. Steve McCreary started showing my wife and me around. We got to their CNC machine that they had recently received and I started asking questions. Bill came up, introduced himself and took over the tour. I was doubtful that my wife really wanted to be there and would detract from the visit. She is(was) a school teacher and started asking Bill a multitude of questions every station that we stopped at. Boy, was I glad to have her along. It was approaching 6, when I finally said that we needed to let them go so that they could go home. What a great time from Bill and Steve. Now, I only live about 10 miles away and go over occasionally. Steve is still a friend and I offer them tickets to Austin City Limits tapings occasionally. Things are a little more organized, but still a terrific group of people.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

I have an OM1A with a dread-depth body that I purchased in 2009 from Gryphon Stringed Instruments. I hadn't played it for about a year. After reading this thread I grabbed it, put new strings on it and started practicing for a tutorial I want to put together.

It's like getting a new guitar, it sounds so good! I had forgotten what a gem it was!

So, Kori, thanks for the reminder!

- Glenn
Old 08-13-2019, 05:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I have an OM1A with a dread-depth body that I purchased in 2009 from Gryphon Stringed Instruments. I hadn't played it for about a year. After reading this thread I grabbed it, put new strings on it and started practicing for a tutorial I want to put together.

It's like getting a new guitar, it sounds so good! I had forgotten what a gem it was!

So, Kori, thanks for the reminder!

- Glenn
Glad you took out, and enjoyed, your OM! I have no doubt it sounds great!

Enjoy, Glenn!
Old 08-13-2019, 08:24 AM

Just picked up a Collings 01 a few months back and loving it, but I'm really intrigued at a OM1 now after reading this thread. Any insight between the OM1 SS vs the standard scale length?
2018 Gibson J-45 Vintage

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion