The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-14-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbox View Post
I bought them, tossed them in my truck, took them up the street and sold them to the dealer for $50.
Went back to the lady and offered her the $40 bucks difference.
She smiled, started to tear up, called me an angel, gave me one of the 20's and a kiss on the cheek.
We all won that day.

Thank you. It's reassuring to know there are some good people in the world.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:06 AM

Love how so many AGF 'ers can look in the mirror proudly. We don't rip innocent people off. We pay a fair price for integrity.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:29 AM

Interesting discussion. I go to a lot of garage sales, estate sales and estate auctions. You see some remarkable things for sale. If its a professionally run sale, I would just pay what was being asked since there is a third party involved, working for profit. If a homeowner's sale, I would absolutely tell them, whether I wanted the item or not.

I just recently had this happen. I saw a pretty solid looking amp at a garage sale, and asked about the price. Dad said it was his son's who didn't play anymore and that he'd take $20 for it. I gave him $75 and told him it was probably worth more than that (I was making an educated guess). He tried to talk me out of it but I insisted. He was appreciative and threw in another unrelated item for free. Later, I found out it was indeed worth more as i had guessed.

Other garage sales, when it was something I was not interested in buying, I have told people the instrument was worth more (or less) than being asked. Sometimes they appreciate the input, and sometimes they don't.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Not really. Ever heard of cognitive dissonance? Our actions, our beliefs and our stated intentions are not always consistent.

If you have ever told a lie and felt uncomfortable about it because you see yourself as scrupulously honest, then you have likely experienced cognitive dissonance. It occurs when one's ideas, beliefs, or behaviors are contradictory—when a person learns new information that challenges a deeply held belief, for example, or acts in a way that seems to undercut her self-image. The theory of cognitive dissonance helps explain the lengths to which people sometimes go to account for thoughts, words, and behaviors that seem to clash...
That's all very interesting but I don't think a course in philosophy is necessary for being an honest person.We probably don't need any more lawyers,either.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:57 AM

So let’s us suppose I know nothing about guitars I go to the garage sale buy a Martin, I buy it for a friend I have no idea of real cost but I buy it for 50 dollars . Just for my pal who plays guitar, he sees it ,I tell him the cost, he can’t believe I have just only spent 50 dollars for a Martin d 28 . Should I feel morally guilty , should I take it back and explain that the Martin is worth more than the asking price, and offer to pay more for it, the answer is simple,, they ask for that price I payed it , win win for both people, my pal well he was really pumped about it , not a word of take it back man, that is worth more than what you payed for it Mmmmm classic bull, I reckon��

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-14-2019 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Please refrain from profanity
Old 07-14-2019, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
Scenario 1:
Let’s say you went to a garage sale and saw something that you new was too cheap. Would you let the sellers know? Would you make sure they new? Or would you just buy it—-they didn’t do their research, their loss, your gain?

Scenario 2:
Same as above but husband wasn’t there, didn’t answer his phone when wife called him, you don’t know his thoughts, and she made you a ridiculous offer.

What would you do?

Note: to further complicate things, ad say’s “Garage Sale- Everything Must Go- My Loss, Your again”

I would let the seller know.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain View Post
So let’s us suppose I know nothing about guitars I go to the garage sale buy a Martin, I buy it for a friend I have no idea of real cost but I buy it for 50 dollars . .....Mmmmm classic bull, I reckon. ��
I find it irrelevant. If you pay the asking price for any product, you can't feel bad. Period. All sanctimony and BS aside, I've sold many things at garage sales far below what they were worth - IT'S A GARAGE SALE. I've told my wife if she ever goes by a garage sale (doesn't happen) and finds a guitar that she recognizes the headstock name from any of my guitars, and it's cheap - call me immediately. People go to garage sales for great deals. If you find one, buy it.

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-14-2019 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
That's all very interesting but I don't think a course in philosophy is necessary for being an honest person.We probably don't need any more lawyers,either.
Actually it's psychology and hardly qualifies as an entire course. My point was that it's not unusual to say one thing, think another thing and then do something else. The stress that one feels due to this contradiction is cognitive dissonance. What someone writes in an online forum is not necessarily a reliable indication of what that person would actually do if the situation presented itself...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-14-2019, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Right now I'm selling a Colnago bicycle for a low price. I can't ride it anymore because it affects my hands. I can still ride my triathlon bike with very little effect on my hands.

Colnago's are the crem de la crem of road bicycles. I know that I could get more than I'm asking but I'd rather sell it and have someone riding it than have it sitting there waiting for the best price. I don't need someone to tell me that they are getting a great deal, I already know that. I just want to get it back out there and have someone on the road with it.

I think of garage sales like that. People just want to move things along.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
I find it irrelevant. If you pay the asking price for any product, you can't feel bad. Period. All sanctimony and BS aside, I've sold many things at garage sales far below what they were worth - IT'S A GARAGE SALE. I've told my wife if she ever goes by a garage sale (doesn't happen) and finds a guitar that she recognizes the headstock name from any of my guitars, and it's cheap - call me immediately. People go to garage sales for great deals. If you find one, buy it.
That’s is my point if the seller is happy and I am happy with the sale let’s drink on it , both win ,Hahoo , like someone said earlier, you are responsible for your action , I am not a person without feeling but a deal is a deal , you quoted a price , I bought, simple as that.........how do you think antique dealers make a living...............

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-14-2019 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Language
Old 07-14-2019, 12:36 PM

This issue comes up at least four times a year. If the buyer and seller are both agreed to a sales price, there's no reason to have ethical concerns. No one cheated, no one lied, everyone was satisfied with the transaction. I make commercial transactions, not misplaced moral statements.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
Love how so many AGF 'ers can look in the mirror proudly. We don't rip innocent people off. We pay a fair price for integrity.
I'll play Devil's advocate here. Please explain how you are ripping someone off if you pay the asking price on an item at a garage sale or a swap meet?

Yes, I'm aware that some items may actually be worth more than the asking price. On the other hand, there are often hidden defects of which the seller may be aware and which are undisclosed. .
Old 07-14-2019, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Let's look at it from a different perspective;

What would your reaction be if you were walking across someone's lawn, and it was covered with old books for 10 cents each, old pots for a dollar, chairs for 2 bucks, and you came across at j-45 for $3400?

Would you think ''huh, this is a yard sale, that's supposed to be a bargain, what's with that price?''
Old 07-14-2019, 01:10 PM

Default What really happened...

Lots of interesting and varied responses. I guess I should let everyone know what really happened, especially since some of you seem to be drawing conclusions about me without knowing the whole story.

So I went to a garage sale yesterday and saw some tools (wrench/socket set), a top brand that I heard was good: Snap-On. I like to work on my own cars (via YouTube, lol) but I’m not a professional mechanic by any means so I slowly accumulate tools thru garage sales.

I asked the woman how much they wanted. She called her husband several times on the phone and he didn’t answer. She said they need to move out by the end of the month as they’re moving to another state to be closer to the best polo fields/associations. She said, “he’s not answering so too bad, we need to get rid of crap. How about $30?” Done.

As soon as I got home I looked on EBay and estimated these tools would run about $400-$500 brand new—I had no idea they were THAT expensive! I immediately felt bad so I texted the woman and said I didn’t want her to get in trouble with her husband so I’ll gladly return it if that’s the case. Haven’t heard from them and they removed the garage sale ad from CL.

I thought this would make an interesting topic in general and was really interested in reading varied views and perspectives in similar circumstances. Enjoyed reading your responses (no matter how condemning, lol)!

Last edited by Kalani; 07-14-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:20 PM

Never been to a garage sale or a car boot sale and came away knowing the sellers phone number to be able to text them......🧐

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic