The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-17-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaddyT View Post
Flamenco strings, generally, have a nylon wound 3rd string.
I seem to recall getting a set of classical strings in the past, I think D'Addario, and it had 2 G strings, one wound and one unwound. I guess some players like it wound and others do not.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell123 View Post
www.stringsbymail.com also has a tutorial on different classical strings

And Titanium strings are not metal, and carbon is not either

W
i thought the carbon strings are made from fluorocarbon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I seem to recall getting a set of classical strings in the past, I think D'Addario, and it had 2 G strings, one wound and one unwound. I guess some players like it wound and others do not.
there are two kinds of guitar players in the world...
Old 02-17-2014, 04:43 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
And the ProArte composites come with a composite and a nylon G string.

Those are my favorite by a long shot - use normal tension and they sound great and last forever.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:09 AM

The D'Addario Composites are some of my favorites, too. The composite basses sound lively and are long-lasting, and the composite G is one of my favorite G strings for a classical guitar, despite the unusual olive green color. It sounds much better than the standard nylon G that is also included.

I wish they made a set where the B and high-E were also made from the olive green composite of the optional G, both to make it visually more consistent, and to give the B and high-E the same presence of the composite G.

Their "Dynacore" basses are pretty good, too, as are the "titanium trebles" that come with them, but the "titanium trebles" G is as dead as their normal nylon G. I like using the composite G with the TT B and high-E, either with Dynacore or Composite basses (which I change out twice as often as the trebles).

I don't think D'Addario's strings are better than those of some of the smaller companies like Hannabach, Alvarez, Augustine, Savarez, La Bella etc... but they are inexpensive and easily accessible... and have consistent tension across multiple sets and materials, which gives a consistent feel and benchmark as you experiment with different sets in the same tension. They are a good place to start for someone looking find their preferences.
2002 Line 6 DuoVerb 2x12
1999 Warwick Streamer Standard
2003 SWR LA15 1x15
2012 Remo 14inch Key-Tuned Djembe
Old 02-21-2014, 08:22 AM

Great stuff here!
I love the specific recommendations coming from experienced users! Thank you all.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:40 AM

String gauges vary from mfg. to mfg,
D'Addarios high tension is the same as Hannanbachs medium tension
you really have to pay attention to the string gauges, low,medium , high
could be very different between different brands,
W
Old 02-21-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
And the ProArte composites come with a composite and a nylon G string.

Those are my favorite by a long shot - use normal tension and they sound great and last forever.
I just tried a set of those. My first impression was I don't like them. Three weeks later and now I do. The D string just had this obnoxious pop to it. It just sounded very unnatural but eventually it just broke in I guess.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I just tried a set of those. My first impression was I don't like them. Three weeks later and now I do. The D string just had this obnoxious pop to it. It just sounded very unnatural but eventually it just broke in I guess.
Was it only the D string that gave you your initial impressions or did the other strings also need a breaking in period?
Old 02-22-2014, 05:29 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Did you see the little note in the pack that said unlike other strings these need a break in period?

Almost sound to me like you might have a minor nut issue or something on the D string.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:52 AM

I got some Luthier strings from a generous forum member a few weeks ago, and I have to throw in my recommendation for them. They are very bright and alive, and seem very loud. They beat the D'Addario (Titanium Treble set) and Hannabach's I have used recently, IMO.
2002 Line 6 DuoVerb 2x12
2003 SWR LA15 1x15
Old 03-01-2014, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Nylon strings change in tone over the first few days, and sometimes even weeks, of use. As they stretch the diameter shrinks, which changes the tonal characteristics and attack. Once they start to go south, it is nothing but a downward spiral (basses especially), but it is not uncommon for a nylon string to sound better on day 3 than day 1, which is unexpected if you are typically a steel string user.
2002 Line 6 DuoVerb 2x12
2003 SWR LA15 1x15
Old 03-03-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special B View Post
Nylon strings change in tone over the first few days, and sometimes even weeks, of use. As they stretch the diameter shrinks, which changes the tonal characteristics and attack. Once they start to go south, it is nothing but a downward spiral (basses especially), but it is not uncommon for a nylon string to sound better on day 3 than day 1, which is unexpected if you are typically a steel string user.
I had heard it takes a few days for the strings to settle in. I know it varies among players, but how frequently (hours/days) does a classical guitarist typically change their strings? For example, someone playing 1-2 hours a day, would it be every couple of months?
Old 03-03-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
I had heard it takes a few days for the strings to settle in. I know it varies among players, but how frequently (hours/days) does a classical guitarist typically change their strings? For example, someone playing 1-2 hours a day, would it be every couple of months?
In general, you'll wear out the bass strings before the trebles. Many classical guitarists will change out the basses and leave the trebles. If you play with a lot of fingernail, you'll probably wear out the trebles a bit quicker. I play 1-2 hours each day and I don't play with a lot of fingernail. Four string changes a year, approximately.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsnax View Post
In general, you'll wear out the bass strings before the trebles. Many classical guitarists will change out the basses and leave the trebles. If you play with a lot of fingernail, you'll probably wear out the trebles a bit quicker. I play 1-2 hours each day and I don't play with a lot of fingernail. Four string changes a year, approximately.
Thanks Dogsnax (great user name too, how did you get it?) - great info.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
(great user name too, how did you get it?)
I must give credit where credit is due. I totally pilfered my user name from my younger brother, a dog lover who thought-up "dogsnax".....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical