The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-19-2020, 02:51 PM

Default New Baggs Session DI

Yo,

So coming back to this:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=588390

short summary, I ran into problems with my Taylor 324CE into my Schertler. The output of the Taylor is so low, that we had the gain (channel volume) on the Schertler cranked for the guitar, while the microphones were typically running at 8 or 9 (AM) o'clock - we were running out of room.

I basically just needed a preamp, but I had read such good things about the compression and saturation on the Session DI that I wanted to give it a shot. Also, the configurable high-pass filter, and the ground lift and mute switches, I could definitely see uses for.

The manual said to turn up the guitar volume to the max (on the guitar itself) and then increase gain on the Session DI until the red light flashed. The gain needed to be set at 9 (PM!) in order to see any red flashes, confirming what my Schertler was telling me - the output level of the Taylor is low.

The effects are just great. I understand why the Anderton's guy reviewing this pedal asked "why would you ever turn this pedal off?" The Comp EQ is subtle, but nice; the saturate warms up the sound really nicely, I didn't take either one past about 11 AM. A little goes a long way.

Thanks for all the advice and discussion here. Next week Friday we play a wedding, can't wait to try it live!

JT
2022 Taylor AD17e Blacktop
2016 Yamaha FG820 Autumn Burst
2015 Eastman E6D
2011 Eastman AC422
2008 Taylor Big Baby
1977 Alvarez 5059
-- no longer with us
2018 Taylor 324CE V
2013 Takamine P1NC
2010 Eastman AC420
Old 09-19-2020, 10:17 PM

I'm so tempted to get one of these, but dislike the idea they split it up into so many different pedals. It'd be great if it's one device like the Zoom A series!
Old 09-20-2020, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytee32 View Post
Yo,

So coming back to this:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=588390

short summary, I ran into problems with my Taylor 324CE into my Schertler. The output of the Taylor is so low, that we had the gain (channel volume) on the Schertler cranked for the guitar, while the microphones were typically running at 8 or 9 (AM) o'clock - we were running out of room.

I basically just needed a preamp, but I had read such good things about the compression and saturation on the Session DI that I wanted to give it a shot. Also, the configurable high-pass filter, and the ground lift and mute switches, I could definitely see uses for.

The manual said to turn up the guitar volume to the max (on the guitar itself) and then increase gain on the Session DI until the red light flashed. The gain needed to be set at 9 (PM!) in order to see any red flashes, confirming what my Schertler was telling me - the output level of the Taylor is low.

The effects are just great. I understand why the Anderton's guy reviewing this pedal asked "why would you ever turn this pedal off?" The Comp EQ is subtle, but nice; the saturate warms up the sound really nicely, I didn't take either one past about 11 AM. A little goes a long way.

Thanks for all the advice and discussion here. Next week Friday we play a wedding, can't wait to try it live!

JT
If you're going to use the Session DI then you'll be okay, and it's a wonderful pedal! If desired, however, you can get a more powerful ES2 preamp by contacting Taylor and telling them about your new Taylor's latest ES2 preamp's low output and request the last version of the ES2 that had a higher output. That's what I did and they sent me, free of charge, a "full-size" ES2 preamp from circa 2016 for my 2019 Taylor 717e Builder's Edition. I have yet to install it, though. Other Taylor buyers have also requested the older and more powerful ES2 preamp for their newer Taylors.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 09-20-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
I'm so tempted to get one of these, but dislike the idea they split it up into so many different pedals. It'd be great if it's one device like the Zoom A series!
Not sure what you mean by splitting it up into many pedals, unless you are referring to the Align series. I got the older Session DI - it has DI (XLR and 1/4"), high-pass filter, ground lift, mute, gain, volume, comp EQ and saturation settings all in one pedal.
2015 Eastman E6D
2011 Eastman AC422
2008 Taylor Big Baby
1977 Alvarez 5059
-- no longer with us
2018 Taylor 324CE V
2013 Takamine P1NC
2010 Eastman AC420
Old 09-20-2020, 10:15 AM

Default Impedance Transformer??

I had that (low output) problem with a Taylor 816ce. Someone told me it was an impedance mismatch and I should try one of these: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Livewir...Transformer.gc

This seemed to do the trick. Now if anything the Taylor TS output is on the high side.

I also use the Session DI and love it. What it adds is subtle but really enhances my tone.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostpicker View Post
I had that (low output) problem with a Taylor 816ce. Someone told me it was an impedance mismatch and I should try one of these: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Livewir...Transformer.gc

This seemed to do the trick. Now if anything the Taylor TS output is on the high side.

I also use the Session DI and love it. What it adds is subtle but really enhances my tone.
You have to say which Taylor Expression System is in your 816ce.

Taylor Expression System have been through countless of updates. Some had balanced TRS ouput (pre 1 to 1.3) and some have TS ouput.

In the 2.x version, AGFers have reported both loud and weak output depending on the "x" version.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 09-20-2020, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Shouldn't be an impedance issue. Taylors are active systems, impedance issues occur mostly with passive. In addition, Taylor's ES1 system at least was designed as low impedance, the balanced system could be plugged into a low impedance mic input. Impedance issues occur mostly when you have a high impedance source (like a passive K&K) and try to plug it into a low impedance input, like the mic inputs of a mixer.

Different pickup systems have different output levels, there's no standard. But most preamps, amps, etc have gain controls, which are there to let you adjust for different input levels. If the output is low with a given pickup, turn up the gain.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post

Different pickup systems have different output levels, there's no standard. But most preamps, amps, etc have gain controls, which are there to let you adjust for different input levels. If the output is low with a given pickup, turn up the gain.
Yeah, that usually works. In the case I described at the start of this thread, we were running out of room. The Taylor output was so low that to balance mics with guitar we needed to run the guitar flat out and the mics almost at the minimum. For a really loud voice, we ran out of room.

I think the DI will solve this nicely by adding a gain stage before the amp. We'll see on Friday
2015 Eastman E6D
2011 Eastman AC422
2008 Taylor Big Baby
1977 Alvarez 5059
-- no longer with us
2018 Taylor 324CE V
2013 Takamine P1NC
2010 Eastman AC420
Old 09-20-2020, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytee32 View Post
The Taylor output was so low that to balance mics with guitar we needed to run the guitar flat out and the mics almost at the minimum.
Low battery, maybe? Taylor's shouldn't be *that* low.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:27 PM

Default To clarify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
You have to say which Taylor Expression System is in your 816ce.

Taylor Expression System have been through countless of updates. Some had balanced TRS ouput (pre 1 to 1.3) and some have TS ouput.

In the 2.x version, AGFers have reported both loud and weak output depending on the "x" version.
Sorry, it is the original TS. The 816 in question was made in 2012.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sorry, it is the original TS. The 816 in question was made in 2012.
Yours is the last of the ES1 systems and was designated as ES1.3 The OP's system is the latest version of the ES2 which is a piezo-based system compared to your magnetic-based system. The latest ES2 has a lower output compared to the ES2 systems prior to late 2016 or thereabouts.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-20-2020, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

This afternoon noticed the Mesa Rosette needed to be turned up more. Though the pre amp light on the Taylor es2 was off there was still output just low. Replaced the nine volt and all is back to normal.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:03 AM

Hi!
Any update on how it went with the Session DI?

I'm very interested in hearing your experience as I am in the same situation with you.

My Taylor ES2n the latest preamp, has very low output. I have to set the volume dial almost all the way up, and have the gain setting very high. While this gets me enough volume when playing solo, it just is not loud enough when the band comes in.

I've had no trouble with my ES 1.3 version.

Did the Session DI help with the output?
How did you like the Satuarion and the Comp EQ?

Thanks
Old 09-30-2020, 08:34 AM

Default Session DI

Big thumbs up on the Session. I have the Align series version, which actually doesn't contain a DI. In any case, it checks boxes that I didn't know were boxes. I've used it with Barbera Soloist, Baggs LB6, and Maton system. All were improved by the Session. For me, it's been one of those effects that when you turn it off, the difference in my tone is noticeably weaker. And if I'm not mistaken, it is considered a pre-amp in terms of boosting signals. To a large degree it makes an additional eq less essential because the uglier frequencies are dynamically compressed.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpan223 View Post
Hi!
Any update on how it went with the Session DI?

I'm very interested in hearing your experience as I am in the same situation with you.
I wish I could tell you. I caught a cold two days before the gig, which was not enough time to get tested for Covid beforehand, so we had to give our gig to another duo. It turned out to be just a cold, but you never know beforehand.

We had another gig set for October 16, but the government just announced new measures that have restaurants/cafes/bars close at 10 PM, so there went our October 16 gig. We still have one left that may happen, not sure I'll be able to use the Session on that one since it's a showcase with somebody else running the sound.

Quote:
My Taylor ES2n the latest preamp, has very low output. I have to set the volume dial almost all the way up, and have the gain setting very high. While this gets me enough volume when playing solo, it just is not loud enough when the band comes in.
I guess this means you are running into a mixer board shared by the rest of the band. Yep. This is what happened to us.

Quote:

How did you like the Satuarion and the Comp EQ?
I tried both of those out in the store and really liked them there. Not a great comparison as it is a small room and not really loud volume. Can't wait to give them a shot in a larger venue and realistic setting.
2015 Eastman E6D
2011 Eastman AC422
2008 Taylor Big Baby
1977 Alvarez 5059
-- no longer with us
2018 Taylor 324CE V
2013 Takamine P1NC
2010 Eastman AC420

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification