The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-10-2020, 06:05 AM

Default martin ceo-9 - what pickup

just looking for some input on pickup selection for my ceo-9. i've used the anthem sl and k&k mini and like both but the sl will add a little weght to the guitar. just would like to know what you are using and thoughts on them.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

I use the K&K mini in all my guitars. The mini weighs near nothing and adds very minimal hardware to the inside of the guitar. K&K will tell you to use their preamp but I've found I like the Baggs Session DI more. Best of luck!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-10-2020, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

I use the K&K as well. Had one in my CEO-7, sounded great.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

I love the K & K in my CEO 7 as well. But also the Anthem SL in my Larrivee L 03. I'm not much help am I?! Be prepared for LOTS of claims that the mic of the Anthem ruins the acoustic sound of your guitar. This has not been my experience but evidently has been a problem for others. YMMV, IMHO, EIEIO.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leinad View Post
just looking for some input on pickup selection for my ceo-9. i've used the anthem sl and k&k mini and like both but the sl will add a little weght to the guitar. just would like to know what you are using and thoughts on them.
Hi leinad

It's hard to go wrong with a K&K Pure mini. I've been using them both alone and paired with mics for over 15 years in all sorts of guitars.

I've actually never heard a guitar with one that didn't sound very 'guitar-like'.

The K&K Pure Mini is the hottest passive pickup I've ever used/mixed/owned, and if you run it through a preamp (which improves it), this assures a lower noise floor in the preamp.

Unless you are playing your acoustic as the lead guitar in an in-your-face-electric-band it's a great choice.

If you are playing your acoustic in an in-your-face-electric-band I suggest a mag pickup.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-10-2020, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Anthem SL if you plug in regularly. K&K and external preamp if you plug in occasionally.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I use the K&K mini in all my guitars. The mini weighs near nothing and adds very minimal hardware to the inside of the guitar. K&K will tell you to use their preamp but I've found I like the Baggs Session DI more. Best of luck!
Ditto this!
Old 09-10-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
I love the K & K in my CEO 7 as well. But also the Anthem SL in my Larrivee L 03. I'm not much help am I?! Be prepared for LOTS of claims that the mic of the Anthem ruins the acoustic sound of your guitar. This has not been my experience but evidently has been a problem for others. YMMV, IMHO, EIEIO.
Maybe my ears are not as sensitive as others.
But I dont ever notice this with my guitars.
Shy of a soundhole plug. I put a sunrise in my
Taylor custom shop. Which is a heavy mag
pickup and cant tell the difference . Maybe
It's the stiffer adi top but I've had the sunrise
In my martin as well and heard no difference.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:16 AM

i've got the anthem sl in my eastman dt30d and i can't hear any loss of tone in this guitar , so i'm not really concerned with that possibility .
Old 09-10-2020, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leinad View Post
i've got the anthem sl in my eastman dt30d and i can't hear any loss of tone in this guitar , so i'm not really concerned with that possibility .
It doesn’t affect the tone. I did a comparison video recently if you want to decide for yourself.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

I have a CEO 9 arriving tomorrow and plan on having a K&k mini installed. I have K&K in most of my guitars and am very satisfied for my applications. Also have a T Rex soulmate acoustic that I purchased on the AGF arriving tomorrow. Hopefully the FedEx folk won’t break my heart and delay both until Monday.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound View Post
I have a CEO 9 arriving tomorrow and plan on having a K&k mini installed. I have K&K in most of my guitars and am very satisfied for my applications. Also have a T Rex soulmate acoustic that I purchased on the AGF arriving tomorrow. Hopefully the FedEx folk won’t break my heart and delay both until Monday.
hope you enjoy your new ceo-9 as much as i do!
Old 09-12-2020, 07:51 AM

I have a couple of Fishman rare earth blends that I like... The sounds better to me than K&K or piezo and it comes with a mic to give it that ambiance and air. I have one wired in to an acoustic and another one that floats between acoustics (uninstalled) that I don't amplify as often.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 09-19-2020, 05:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
It doesn’t affect the tone. I did a comparison video recently if you want to decide for yourself.
I agree-I was trying to preclude what seems to be frequent claims to the contrary here in AGF world. Thanks for your well done comparison video btw and may that finally put this issue to bed.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
I agree-I was trying to preclude what seems to be frequent claims to the contrary here in AGF world. Thanks for your well done comparison video btw and may that finally put this issue to bed.
I used to say that myself but after two of my comparison videos I changed my mind.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification