The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-20-2020, 12:12 PM

The Bose S1 has done me well. Battery operated, two channels, Bluetooth operation, it can fit on a pole mount, it can be a floor wedge or sit on a table and it’s light and fits in your budget. The only issue that I have is that it doesn’t provide phantom power but all my gear runs off of battery power anyway.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 08-22-2020, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Im gonna jump right in without copy pasting eveyones quotes. Ive played just about every acoustic amp out there from 500 to 2k. The best bank for the buck smack in the middle, although right at about the top end IMHO is the new line from Genzler. Those who know Genz Benz before Fender bought em just to dismantle them, is back in the market with 2 new Amps. I just bought the Genzler Acoustic Array pro about 4 months ago. The sound is absolutely incredible, effects again in my opion enough without over doing it. Ability to add a second cabinet of his OR sending signal to a board...piece of cake. As an experiment I ran xlr out to a pair of JBL Eon G2s (older self powered versions but awesome sound for this application) daisy chained together. Soooooo much sound, power enough to fill a room of 150+ bodies, yet soooo clean all i could think was "This combo would ALMOST delete the reason for a board". Warmth, power, clarity, versatility...seriously think its the best acoustic amp ive ever played. Yes...they make smaller version, but frankly for the extra 200 hundred or so TOTALLY worth it. More than solid enough for smaller groups by itself, but using it with self powered stuff, awesome awesome amplifier. https://www.genzleramplification.com...tic-array-pro/

As ive seen a few others suggest this amp I gotta say "EXACTLY". Sound wise, and no disrespect to others opinions let me add: Ive spent 26 yrs running PA systems from small to 100 k in house major set ups. Genzler / Genz Benz previously has always been a very respected smaller company that many major performers swore by as well. 2 channels IDEAL for guitar vocals or 2 guitars. By itself, signal out to self powered or to a board. And so I don't get flamed by certain others let me say this as respectfully as possible. After playing and buying this amplifier if I won a brand new the best of Fishman bows or any of the other models that are out there today I still think this is the absolute best acoustic guitar 2 channel amp that I have ever played in the last five to eight years.

Last edited by DjFuzzyMcPickle; 08-22-2020 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
What is the best sounding amp for using at a gig and under $1000....preferably under 750. Would like something that is easily portable and one than can be hooked up to a powered speaker for larger gigs. Most gigs are smallish for around 25-75 people and rooms are usually the typical small bar/outdoor patio/mexican restaurant type places. I would think 60 watts is probably the minimum, but 100 would probably safely cover everything without needed a extra speaker..
Forgot to mention, this is for guitar and vocals.

Some I have checked out:

Fishman Loudbox Artist
Boss Acoustic Singer Pro
Marshall 50
Roland AC60
Bose L1 Compact ... $999.
Your budget is $1000, so that leaves a buck for a chocolate bar.

Last edited by Tico; 08-23-2020 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:29 PM

I have used a Genzler Acoustic Array for a while now. I haves used it to amplify mandolins, acoustic guitars and vocals. It does a great job with all of it. You can technically have 4 channels (actually 2 channels each with dual input), but I think that pushes it a little too hard. But with 1 channel devoted to vocals and one for guitar, it can serve as a little PA. In terms of tone, while you can certainly use the built in effects, I am usually trying to get “my guitar, just louder), and it works great for that.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:16 AM

Maybe wait a little till the TC Helicon V60 or V100 are out?
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 08-24-2020, 08:16 AM

Yes I'm trying, but it hard brother! They say Oct now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
Maybe wait a little till the TC Helicon V60 or V100 are out?
Old 08-24-2020, 08:17 AM

haha. My taste in chocolate is better than that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Bose L1 Compact ... $999.
Your budget is $1000, so that leaves a buck for a chocolate bar.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:23 AM

Wow that's quite an endorsement! I'll check it out thanks.
How do the vocals sound through it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjFuzzyMcPickle View Post
Im gonna jump right in without copy pasting eveyones quotes. Ive played just about every acoustic amp out there from 500 to 2k. The best bank for the buck smack in the middle, although right at about the top end IMHO is the new line from Genzler. Those who know Genz Benz before Fender bought em just to dismantle them, is back in the market with 2 new Amps. I just bought the Genzler Acoustic Array pro about 4 months ago. The sound is absolutely incredible, effects again in my opion enough without over doing it. Ability to add a second cabinet of his OR sending signal to a board...piece of cake. As an experiment I ran xlr out to a pair of JBL Eon G2s (older self powered versions but awesome sound for this application) daisy chained together. Soooooo much sound, power enough to fill a room of 150+ bodies, yet soooo clean all i could think was "This combo would ALMOST delete the reason for a board". Warmth, power, clarity, versatility...seriously think its the best acoustic amp ive ever played. Yes...they make smaller version, but frankly for the extra 200 hundred or so TOTALLY worth it. More than solid enough for smaller groups by itself, but using it with self powered stuff, awesome awesome amplifier. https://www.genzleramplification.com...tic-array-pro/

As ive seen a few others suggest this amp I gotta say "EXACTLY". Sound wise, and no disrespect to others opinions let me add: Ive spent 26 yrs running PA systems from small to 100 k in house major set ups. Genzler / Genz Benz previously has always been a very respected smaller company that many major performers swore by as well. 2 channels IDEAL for guitar vocals or 2 guitars. By itself, signal out to self powered or to a board. And so I don't get flamed by certain others let me say this as respectfully as possible. After playing and buying this amplifier if I won a brand new the best of Fishman bows or any of the other models that are out there today I still think this is the absolute best acoustic guitar 2 channel amp that I have ever played in the last five to eight years.
Old 08-24-2020, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wow that's quite an endorsement! I'll check it out thanks.
How do the vocals sound through it?
Well considering my singing is...average, but a Dj 26 yrs i feel i have a very strong and fairly articulate voice, it makes me sound better than im used to (thats a task I assure you haha).

However right after i got, a good gal friend of mine who has an insanely good voice came over to try it with me on a couple of simple little tunes. She has a voice that is a full 3 octaves up, down. We tried in simple 2 channel mode by itself and then attached the 2 jbl eon g2's. Mind you these are about 300 watts each if you're pushing them. We set them up in my 3 car garage with good separation and at very medium levels. Her comments were "Holy S#@T...wow...by far better than the Fishmans weve used for yrs". That be her and her hubby BTW. They just bought the performer a few months before i got mine. I believe they are gonna sell that one to a friend as her hubby is coming over this weekend to hear it, play through it himself. They do basic top 40, classic rock, progressive modern rock covers all over the board. As they say Led Zeppelin to lady gaga to Pearl Jam to country, folk to funk. "Anything we can spin acoustically". Hope that helps.

A few less features possibly, but all the functionality i believe mention OP needed and more. 28 lbs. Hope that helps.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:15 AM

I have the fishman loud box performer so far it’s been great, great acoustic sound and effects if you want them and it’s light weight. Worth taking a look at.
Old 08-27-2020, 12:02 PM

Take a look at the Schertler Jam 100. I've been using one for 7 years now, it's a good little amp, especially now that I've bought a pole for it.

The ACUS Ones seem to be almost identical to the Schertler Jams.
2022 Taylor AD17e Blacktop
2016 Yamaha FG820 Autumn Burst
2015 Eastman E6D
2011 Eastman AC422
2008 Taylor Big Baby
1977 Alvarez 5059
-- no longer with us
2018 Taylor 324CE V
2013 Takamine P1NC
2010 Eastman AC420
Old 08-27-2020, 02:06 PM

6" speaker is just too small for decent sized gigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytee32 View Post
Take a look at the Schertler Jam 100. I've been using one for 7 years now, it's a good little amp, especially now that I've bought a pole for it.

The ACUS Ones seem to be almost identical to the Schertler Jams.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:22 AM

I am absolutely thrilled with mine:

http://www.eliteacoustics.com/portfo...c_amplifier-2/
Old 09-01-2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
haha. My taste in chocolate is better than that!
Well, at $599 the Bose S1 Pro leaves $401 for hopefully the best chocolate bar you've ever had.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:07 AM

Aaron Short will soon post a review of the EAE amp on his Youtube channel.

I would wait to see given he has already reviewed the Bose S1, the JBL eon one compact and owns QSC speakers too.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification