The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-22-2021, 01:50 PM

Default Any strings to avoid if you're changing tuning?

I recently bought a parlour guitar and on a whim bought a couple of slides. (I'm not really sure if I like it on my pinky or ring finger.)

Are there any strings that I should avoid if I'm changing tuning regularly? (I'm only tuning down btw.). I have a set of Santa Cruz/Straight up strings. I also have a set of GHS and Thomastik-Infeld. I'm not committed to something that I already have.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2021, 03:49 PM

When I first tried Elixirs some years back I was unhappy with how they played on one guitar ans decided to take them off and re-string them on a different guitar.
They were about 2 days old.
2 strings broke trying to tune them on the 2nd guitar - guess they didn't like being tuned up, slackened off and re-tuned.

In contrast, during my first attempt to make a bone nut, I used a set of Curt Mangan PB's and must have slackened off and re-tuned those same strings more than 15 times and they were fine with it.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
alternate tuning, parabolic, parlour guitar