The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-22-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Send me your ears and I'll tell you what you're hearing.

But don't worry, some can tell you what you're hearing, if you're it, and why you may or may not be hearing something.

If that changes your mind I'd be concerned.
That's crazy. Even van Gogh was sensible enough to only send one ear.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post

I tried the Newtone Doublewound Masterclass years ago and they were great, but I did have some intonation issues and I'm not sure why. Sounded marvelous. I tried Sunbeams in both light and medium sets on a 24.5" scale and the volume was enough for me to make note of it. I put the medium set on an even shorter scale (24" Martin D Jr. 2) and it lit the guitar right up- best by far out of trying nearly 25 different sets. Core size standard I assume on the Sunbeams, thin core on the GHS...but they are still loud!
Double Wounds are a completely different animal. To achieve the double wind...they use a thinner core. Double wounds are meant to sound like a completely worn in set of strings. And because of the thinner core they have less volume. From what I have heard, Double wounds are more suited to the fingerstyle -softer player.
I use the Newtone Master class, which is a single wound string. They have the sustain of roundcore, but the attack times, liveliness, and stability of a good set of PB's.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:10 PM

They are louder with Crowder I hear.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:11 PM

Some will laugh but I think round-cores stay in tune longer than hex.

I kept Martin Titanium round-cores on a guitar for 10 months, most they ever needed was a minor tuning tweak every couple of weeks.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 04-23-2021, 02:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Round cores are slightly louder. I've tried both DR Sunbeams and GHS Phosphor Bronze Thin Cores and they just seem well.....louder for lack of a better adjective. This is observed even later in the life of the set and on playback from recordings.

Is it just me?
You may well be hearing something there, but my experience is different. I went to Newtone PB round core from Martin SPs and Elixirs and I didn’t notice any change in volume. I have also tried the Newtone double wound PBs. Unbelievably good strings for the guitar I put them on, and I have not noticed any change in volume.

But, as Jayne said, playing style can vary with strings (and players) and this may contribute to different findings for different players.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion