The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
You don't find duct tape slippery?

sm
I can see why you might think that but it gives me plenty of grip.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:11 AM
Charter Member

Thanks to Scott Memmer in another thread a while ago for recommending Ultex, which I've been using for the last year. Earlier this year, I switched up to Primetone b/c they're made from the same material, and I like them even better b/c of the grip, beveled edge, etc. I was playing 1.14mm and 1.40mm Ultex, so I've been using 1.0mm and 1.4mm Primetone. I prefer the thicker gauge.

They're all the traditional teardrop shape. Never played the triangles and not sure how I'd do with them, especially with my unorthodox way of holding the pick. I hold it with my thumb and middle finger, using my index and ring fingers to vary the tension.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Thanks to Scott Memmer in another thread a while ago for recommending Ultex, which I've been using for the last year. Earlier this year, I switched up to Primetone b/c they're made from the same material, and I like them even better b/c of the grip, beveled edge, etc. I was playing 1.14mm and 1.40mm Ultex, so I've been using 1.0mm and 1.4mm Primetone. I prefer the thicker gauge.

They're all the traditional teardrop shape. Never played the triangles and not sure how I'd do with them, especially with my unorthodox way of holding the pick. I hold it with my thumb and middle finger, using my index and ring fingers to vary the tension.
Vida, I missed this earlier. Glad my advice could you lead you to better picks. Yes, the Ultex and Primetone lines are both made from Ultem. I haven't seen out there that compares in $$$$ vs performance to come close. There's a very good reason Dunlop came in and stole the pick business from Fender, and this is yet one more example.

Glad I could be of service.

Best,
Scott
Old 11-26-2019, 11:15 AM

well I received my set of three Primetone non-grip standards in the 1.0 mm size and they are .... OK. They feel surprisingly thin for that size and a little bit slippery but I got these as I read the grip version are a little bright sounding. They're OK and I think I will try to get a grip version in a thicker size. Truth be told I played them against my much-cheaper 1.38 mm Ultex Jazz III and I like the Jazz better. I really miss the grip-ability of the Jazz.

I will have to find something to aid my grip on these Primetone, however.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 11-26-2019, 02:21 PM

I’m going to experiment and copy the hole patterns on my Wegen pick to the Primetone and see how I like them with the holes. I love that part of the Wegens and I’m sure it’ll only make the primetones better.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 11-26-2019, 02:59 PM

Also what is main difference between a Flow and a Primetone?

I have both Primetone and Flow 1.0 picks. I believe the difference is shape. Being a newbie to these things I’m not sure about beveling or other differences. I don’t see much difference playing one to the other but that may be inexperience.
See pictures below.
https://ibb.co/RQKntmN
Old 11-27-2019, 12:41 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I’m going to experiment and copy the hole patterns on my Wegen pick to the Primetone and see how I like them with the holes. I love that part of the Wegens and I’m sure it’ll only make the primetones better.
I like the holes thing a lot. For most players they seem to really help them grip the pick.

scott m.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
It's amazing the proliferation of all accessories, especially picks, over the last 10-20 years. Almost mind-boggling.

Strong consensus with which I concur that Dunlop is still king of the pick world. They've really got it dialed in. Don't be surprised if in the next few years they don't acquire a high-end pick company and grow through acquisition. I have no inside knowledge, and we're too tiny for them to be interested. But this is the way they've grown their categories in the past, so I wouldn't be shocked.

From a marketing perspective, they need a pick line that sells for about $9.95 per pick, then the jumps from there are $14.95 and $19.95. It will take a few years, but they'll get there.

Scott Memmer
Just received my pick Scott and I would never have believed the difference in guitar tone and my picking accuracy. Only downer was I had to pay another £13.50 in vat and uk postal handling charge. Don’t care..it was worth it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion