The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-10-2021, 08:41 AM

I have the 30 model. It's a very good guitar either with or without the effects. The grain on the sides and back is a bit garish looking for me. The neck is fast and comfortable.
The equaliser effect is very good at changing the tone of the guitar; I can get a very middly/Maccaferri type sound by careful use of the eq. Add in a little reverb.. it's really excellent. I add a little extra bass eq for thumbpicking. It's great, though it does suffer from the computer disease of endless fiddling with the sound rather than playing tunes!
It woukd be heaven for a busker though, excellent battery life.
However, they now will sell the parts to fit your favourite guitar....I keep looking at my j45 and wondering....
Nick
Old 04-10-2021, 10:52 AM

https://ibb.co/XJCXLkf

just installed hyvibe system on my blueridge br341 it sounds great
Old 04-10-2021, 03:15 PM

I love the sound and feeling of my Lag THV10 HyVibe guitar, both as a pure acoustic guitar and with a "touch of reverb" from the HyVibe system. What I miss though is being able to have the exciters running, creating reverb and other effects in the guitar itself, while also being plugged-in to an amp or a PA. I ended up solving this by getting a cheap soundhole magnetic pickup + microphone combo, the Harley Benton SH-30, and today I used this setup at a gig at a small restaurant. I must say I'm really happy with the result. With only me playing the guitar and sing plus some percussion I can easily hear the guitar itself (with the HyVibe reverb on) while the SH-30 gave a really good result when connected to the PA. And by enabling the microphone in the SH-30 I can also get it to pickup some of the HyVibe effects.

I'm gonna play around more with this setup, both at home as well as next time I play at the restaurant, but my initial impression is that the HyVibe equpped guitar and a soundhole pickup (with or without microphone) is a great combination. And the SH-30 specifically is a great value, I wonder if going with a Fishman or LR Baggs is really worth 4-5 times the price of the SH-30?!?

/Per
Old 04-13-2021, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Did you notice if installation of the system affected the sound of your Blueridge when the system is turned off? I'm wondering if the mass of the actuators attached beneath the bridge plate had a noticeable effect on the response of the guitar top.

I ask because I am anxiously awaiting on an installation in an Eastman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by identity71 View Post
https://ibb.co/XJCXLkf

just installed hyvibe system on my blueridge br341 it sounds great
Old 04-20-2021, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Did you notice if installation of the system affected the sound of your Blueridge when the system is turned off? I'm wondering if the mass of the actuators attached beneath the bridge plate had a noticeable effect on the response of the guitar top.

I ask because I am anxiously awaiting on an installation in an Eastman.
i don't notice any change even if i was afraid of this cos your've to cut on the side of the guitar and install a lot of stuff and blueridge is a little guitar.

i'm about to place an order from a liuther to make a new guitar with that system inside, even if my liuthee doesn't want to cut his guitars :-)
Old 04-20-2021, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
i don't notice any change even if i was afraid of this cos your've to cut on the side of the guitar and install a lot of stuff and blueridge is a little guitar.

i'm about to place an order from a liuther to make a new guitar with that system inside, even if my liuthee doesn't want to cut his guitars :-)
BTW, did you do the install yourself on the Blueridge? I checked with Hyvibe and at the time they were only doing it through their list of installers. I wouldn't mind giving it a go.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:51 AM

Quote:
BTW, did you do the install yourself on the Blueridge? I checked with Hyvibe and at the time they were only doing it through their list of installers. I wouldn't mind giving it a go.
i bought the kit and my liuther installed it
Old 04-22-2021, 02:47 PM

Just finished installing the Hyvibe myself on a Turner acoustic. For me it wasnt easy because i am not really a diy sort and have not done anything signififcant other than change strings in the past. I took my time and did get there in the end. My Turner 85c is a great guitar but it didnt cost all that much (around £350 ten years ago) and was getting a little beat up anyway so it wasnt going to be a complete disaster if it went badly wrong.

The concept is straightforward but the practical difficulties i had were:
i) clamping the guitar down so that it didnt move when i used a hole saw for the i/o hole on the bottom of the guitar. (had to strap it down in the end)
ii) finding a thinner undersaddle piezo transducer. The one supplied was a little too thick for the depth of bridge slot on my guitar and i didnt want to try deepening it. I did managed to buy for around £5 a thinner pickup and this works ok.

Not sure if i would have chosen the diy route knowing what i now know about the practical difficulties. I should perhaps have gotten a local guitar tech/Luthier to do it for me. Certainly tackling this with an expensive guitar myself i realise(now) would have been folly - there were a couple of hair raising moments. With lockdown getting a guitar tech and explaining what this thing was also not going to be an easy option though.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Good to know. Thanks. How do you like it now that it's in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbank View Post
Just finished installing the Hyvibe myself on a Turner acoustic. For me it wasnt easy because i am not really a diy sort and have not done anything signififcant other than change strings in the past. I took my time and did get there in the end. My Turner 85c is a great guitar but it didnt cost all that much (around £350 ten years ago) and was getting a little beat up anyway so it wasnt going to be a complete disaster if it went badly wrong.

The concept is straightforward but the practical difficulties i had were:
i) clamping the guitar down so that it didnt move when i used a hole saw for the i/o hole on the bottom of the guitar. (had to strap it down in the end)
ii) finding a thinner undersaddle piezo transducer. The one supplied was a little too thick for the depth of bridge slot on my guitar and i didnt want to try deepening it. I did managed to buy for around £5 a thinner pickup and this works ok.

Not sure if i would have chosen the diy route knowing what i now know about the practical difficulties. I should perhaps have gotten a local guitar tech/Luthier to do it for me. Certainly tackling this with an expensive guitar myself i realise(now) would have been folly - there were a couple of hair raising moments. With lockdown getting a guitar tech and explaining what this thing was also not going to be an easy option though.
Old 04-23-2021, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Good to know. Thanks. How do you like it now that it's in?
Very pleased with it. The Effects are good and I am keen to get started using the Looper. Have played around a little with the Looper and the volume is good. Its also good fun demonstrating to people. I did a demo for my daughter who thought she was only going to hear a standard pickup linked to an amp. The startled suprise is an extra bonus.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:33 AM

would you install this system on a martin eric clapton 00028?
Old 05-07-2021, 01:56 AM

Quote:
would you install this system on a martin eric clapton 00028?
I think it depends on your attitude to pickup installation in general. The Hyvibe does have what i have heard people refer to as a 'barn door' control panel. I get the impression from this forum that some people would not entertain that and i can understand that especially with an expensive guitar (resale value might be one important consideration i guess).

On the other hand, as far as i could make it, the installation is not significantly different to that of soundbouard pickups in general so that a trained technician would have no trouble in producing a very professional looking and sounding result.
Old 05-09-2021, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

I had one installed recently and am now thinking about relocating one of the actuators. During the installation did you ever have to remove one once glued on? Normally I'd just heat it to pop it off, but I'm not sure how much heat the actuator can take. I'll probably check with Hyvibe but was curious about your experience.

Does the reverb sound good to you? Mine has a kind of tinny, metal springy sound - quite unlike my Yamaha TA. Evidently there wasn't room on the bridge plate for the actuators. One got installed in the "B" position shown in the instructions. The other was attached forward of the other B position, beneath the pick guard, so the two actuators aren't in line with the bridge pins. And sitting beneath the pick guard doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I'm hoping relocating it will help get rid of the tinny sound.

Quote:
Very pleased with it. The Effects are good and I am keen to get started using the Looper. Have played around a little with the Looper and the volume is good. Its also good fun demonstrating to people. I did a demo for my daughter who thought she was only going to hear a standard pickup linked to an amp. The startled suprise is an extra bonus.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:28 AM

Quote:
I had one installed recently and am now thinking about relocating one of the actuators. During the installation did you ever have to remove one once glued on? Normally I'd just heat it to pop it off, but I'm not sure how much heat the actuator can take. I'll probably check with Hyvibe but was curious about your experience.

Does the reverb sound good to you? Mine has a kind of tinny, metal springy sound - quite unlike my Yamaha TA. Evidently there wasn't room on the bridge plate for the actuators. One got installed in the "B" position shown in the instructions. The other was attached forward of the other B position, beneath the pick guard, so the two actuators aren't in line with the bridge pins. And sitting beneath the pick guard doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I'm hoping relocating it will help get rid of the tinny sound.

Mine sounds good to me. My son in law, who is a University lecturer in Music, listened to it the other day and thought it was fantastic so I feel confident that the installation has worked ok. He has bought a kit to install on a new type of autoharp that he designed and built. I did manage to get the actuators onto the bridgeplate but the person i bought the kit from, who has installed a number of these, told me that the actuators could pretty much go anywhere on the soundboard.
I used superglue so i dont know how easy it would be to remove without damaging the actuator. If something less strong was used you might be ok.

I did have some feedback problems on one or two occasions but there are a number of ways to control this and Hyvibe have some instructions on this. In particular i found i could control this by turning down the gain in the system menu. It would be worth i think experimenting with the various filters that are available. Are you also using the phone app ? Its possible to control the effects quite significantly by changing parameters of each effect. It might well be possible to get the tone you want by tweaking these.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

That's good to know, thanks.

Yes, I've been experimenting with the various effects, system gain etc both on the guitar and in the app. The biggest issue has to do with reverb. The reverb on my Yamaha TA sounds really full and balanced, and what I consider to be a realistic representation of playing in a large room. But so far the Hyvibe isn't close. There are two issues:

1. The effect is much more pronounced on the bass strings than on the treble. It nearly vanishes on the B and e strings. If I turn up the system gain the trebles get better, but then I get lots of feedback. I've tried notch filters and other suggested fixes for the feedback - without success. If you use their standard reverb bank with the control knob turned all the way up and the system gain near the default, mute the strings with your fretting hand and pluck the strings one at a time with a pick, do you get about the same amount of reverb on each string, or does the echo/sustain vanish on the treble strings?

2. There is a tinny metallic sound in the reverb that I haven't been able to get rid of. I've uploaded a couple of recordings of simply strumming an E chord, then 3 more strums where the strings are muted shortly after the strum. These were recorded with the internal mic on a Spire Studio, not using the line out on the guitar.

This is my Yamaha Transacoustic with its reverb on full:

and this is my Eastman with the Hyvibe, their standard reverb bank on full, i.e. both the knob and the slider turned up all the way. The system gain was turned up to 38, but I've also tried it at the default of 34.

Perhaps you can hear what I mean by the metallic tinny sound after the strings are muted. It's more obvious in person. Does your reverb sound like that, or more like the Yamaha?

Quote:
Mine sounds good to me. My son in law, who is a University lecturer in Music, listened to it the other day and thought it was fantastic so I feel confident that the installation has worked ok. He has bought a kit to install on a new type of autoharp that he designed and built. I did manage to get the actuators onto the bridgeplate but the person i bought the kit from, who has installed a number of these, told me that the actuators could pretty much go anywhere on the soundboard.
I used superglue so i dont know how easy it would be to remove without damaging the actuator. If something less strong was used you might be ok.

I did have some feedback problems on one or two occasions but there are a number of ways to control this and Hyvibe have some instructions on this. In particular i found i could control this by turning down the gain in the system menu. It would be worth i think experimenting with the various filters that are available. Are you also using the phone app ? Its possible to control the effects quite significantly by changing parameters of each effect. It might well be possible to get the tone you want by tweaking these.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification