The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-21-2021, 01:55 PM

You don't mention what type of guitar it is? For a long time Doyle played Taylor guitars, and there are a million of just about every model available either new or used. Granted it is probably set up well, but it is set up for him. Do you play like him? Or will a new set-up to suit your style be needed anyway.

I would never pay more for a guitar owned by a famous player. Last time I saw him Doyle was playing Gretsch. The fact he left Taylor and went to Gretsch could be for any number of reasons (most likely money), but if it's a Taylor I don't think there is any added value for it being a guitar he gave up to go on to something he liked more. Perhaps worth less?

But the market does seem to somehow justify adding to the price for past celebrity ownership. And while that makes no sense to me, as long as you could prove it, you might get more reselling it down the line due to the provenance.

Collings D2HG
Collings 002H 14 Fret
Gibson Hummingbird Original
Gibson Hummingbird Quilt (Maple)
Gibson J-29
Old 04-21-2021, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
When I see a guitar for sale once owned by X that means X didn't like it enough to keep it.
+1 that. It was probably sold/discarded of for some reason.

Or it was a 'throwaway' to begin with. Hard Rock Cafes worldwide display wall-mounted guitars autographed by big-name musicians. Without naming specific brands or models, the majority I've seen in half a dozen countries and as many states are lower-end/knockoff instruments that most popular players wouldn't use for any number of reasons (usually crappy tuners IMHO).

Last edited by tinnitus; 04-21-2021 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
+1 that. It was probably sold/discarded of for some reason.

Or it was a 'throwaway' to begin with. Hard Rock Cafes worldwide display wall-mounted guitars autographed by big-name musicians. Without naming specific brands or models, the majority I've seen in half a dozen countries and as many states are lower-end/knockoff instruments that most popular players wouldn't use for any number of reasons (usually crappy tuners IMHO).
It is my understanding that when he gets a new sponsorship, he sells off his guitars and equips himself with guitars from that manufacturer. He has been sponsored by several brands. I think right now it's Gretsch, but Taylor and Godin have sponsored hom in the past. I don't think it has anything to do with the quality of the instrument.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwangGang View Post
You don't mention what type of guitar it is? For a long time Doyle played Taylor guitars, and there are a million of just about every model available either new or used. Granted it is probably set up well, but it is set up for him. Do you play like him? Or will a new set-up to suit your style be needed anyway.

I would never pay more for a guitar owned by a famous player. Last time I saw him Doyle was playing Gretsch. The fact he left Taylor and went to Gretsch could be for any number of reasons (most likely money), but if it's a Taylor I don't think there is any added value for it being a guitar he gave up to go on to something he liked more. Perhaps worth less?

But the market does seem to somehow justify adding to the price for past celebrity ownership. And while that makes no sense to me, as long as you could prove it, you might get more reselling it down the line due to the provenance.
This is a Godin Multiac.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:29 AM

Normally, I would not pay extra for a guitar regardless of it's history. Not saying I wouldn't like to own a guitar once played by a famous player, I just wouldn't pay extra for the privilege.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:53 AM

Doyle Dikes? No.

Merle Haggard? Oh my, yes.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb715 View Post
Doyle Dikes? No.

Merle Haggard? Oh my, yes.

Doyle Dykes? No...EXCEPT for hard core Doyle Dykes fans.

Merle Haggard? Oh my, No...EXCEPT for hard core old time County&Western/Merle fans.

It's true of any situation like this except with the SUPER Superstars like Willie or Tony Rice, or James Taylor, or John Denver. Those stars made certain instruments iconic through their world wide fame and use.

Merle did as well...sorta...but he used a ton of different guitars as well and he wasn't noted for making one particular guitar iconic like say JT did with Jim Olson's SJ model, or Tony with the "Antique" or Willie with "Trigger".

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 04-22-2021, 12:59 PM

I think it all boils down to you and if you think the extra cost is worth it, as I have seen many others say. I personally bought a guitar that was used live by one of my favorite singer/songwriters. It was for sale at a local shop here in jersey as it is in the same town the artist lives in. Because he is such an influence to me in playing and songwriting (so much so I have several tattoos with lyrics and images) I absolutely thought the several hundred dollar increase was worth it. So it comes down to if you think being owned and played by Doyle is enough to you to make it worth the extra cost.

2005 Martin D-18GE Shade Top
Taylor 717 Builders Edition
PRS Silver Sky
Old 04-22-2021, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer_PR View Post
It's up to you how much will you be willing to pay for it
we have a winner!
Old 04-22-2021, 05:07 PM

If you're a Doyle Dykes fan who is willing to plunk down extra cash on one of his castaways, there's a chance you've spent too much time on the Acoustic Guitar Forum.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:32 PM

Well Kurt Cobain's "unplugged" Martin sold for 9 million at auction last year so what does that tell you lol?

The history plays a part for sure but I think it's more the musician that owned it that skyrockets the price. doubly true if it was used on a live performance that's well documented and well favored like nirvanas 1993 unplugged show

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion