The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-21-2021, 03:01 PM

After much trial and error in the search for the perfect amp, I’ve used a Hughes & Kettner Era 2 for the last couple of years.

It is a superb acoustic and vocal amp, will work as an FRFR speaker for amp modellers for electric guitar, and can also be used as a bass amp as it has drivers with enough excursion to hit very low frequencies.

It’s brilliant. I gig with it regularly and it will fill a room with 100 people in it no problem. Seriously wonderful bit of kit...not cheap, but nothing good comes for free.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:23 PM

There is no such thing as a "vocal amp".

Most acoustic amps have inputs for a mic (vocals, xlr input) and a guitar input (1/4" in). Vocals and acoustics can also be run through a 2 channel powered speaker and it should have a minimum of 1 xlr (or combi input) and a 1/4" or combi inputs (these are inputs that will accept both 3 prong xlr, or 1/4" in).

Either of these will handle vocals and acoustic guitar, although most powered speakers would really need a acoustic guitar preamp to get the best tone from it.

Electric guitar is another matter. As Rudy stated, the Cube Street and Street EX will accommodate vocals, acoustic guitars and electric guitars. It DOES NOT work well as a bass amp.

You absolutely WILL NOT get good electric guitar tone from an acoustic amp. There are pedals which can simulate the tone of an electric amp and they work best through a powered speaker.

If you are happy with your line 6 for bass or electric I would suggest The Cube Street or the Fishman Loudbox Mini. The Loudbox has better tone for acoustic (IMO, & I own a Street EX) and is louder but the Cube Street is more versatile and offers battery power. The Street EX has equal volume to the Loudbox Mini, but is far more versatile. It also comes at a substantially higher price.

If you want decent tone, good volume and no battery power, you may want to consider the Kustom PA50 and a Berhinger ADI21. The amp is small, loud and portable. Don't expect too much low end response from it's tiny speakers and you would be surprised how good it sounds. It was actually my first live rig for small venues.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 04-22-2021, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

To me, it sorta sounds like you could get best use from a small mixer and a powered speaker - basically, a small PA. I’ve used an older Bose T1 with all the instruments you’ve mentioned, as well as vocals, run out to 1 or 2 powered speakers very nicely. Has a bunch of effects and eq for each channel, nice preamps, easy to use, and seems like they come up for sale used at very reasonable prices. Then, you can choose as big or powerful a speaker or two as you want. It’s been a very nice set-up for 2 voices and 2 instruments.
Old 04-23-2021, 05:36 PM

As I said, the electronics are all relatively new to me. Closest I've ever come before was when using a mic at a podium. My voice carries well, so I never normally bothered with a mic unless I had to, in a very large hall.

I am not familiar with the jargon either. I assumed "vocal amp" catered to singers and whatever physics are associated with that audio range...and similarly with acoustic guitar, electric and bass guitar amps.

However! I am looking up all suggestions! Thanks everyone! I am hopefully learning something useful in the process!

Larrivee OM03...and representatives of other types!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification