The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-19-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
At home, I'll continue to use my PA for sure.
I sometimes use a PA speaker at home, along with a mixer, to get an idea of what I sound like amplified. More often, however, I'll just use the mixer and headphones. This is equipment I purchased for gigs, and IMO, even though it's not a single box, it's far more versatile than an acoustic guitar amp.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 12-22-2021, 04:24 AM

I am also asking the same question to myself, because I am a huge fan of karaoke and thinking it's so much fun to sing with the mic with the acoustic amplifier. But most likely it will be under utilized. So now it's just a mixer and headphone for me.
I can always plug to my Jbl monitor if I wanted to hear how it being amplified.
Old 12-22-2021, 04:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren01 View Post
As the title says, do I need one for home playing. I have a Yamaha THR10 that has an acoustic setting and was playing around with it last night and it was fun! Made me wonder if I should pick up (see what I did there) an inexpensive acoustic amp. What say you all?
I've been playing guitar for many decades -my interests are in acoustic music as I was a drummer and got tired of the increasing noise volumes.

At one time I got a small amp and an archtop with a floating pickup. It was a novelty which didn't last long.

When I began performing I had pickups installed in my acoustics but rarely enjoyed the compromised acoustic sound.

I've had a number of p.a. systems for a five piece,to a duo and solo, growing increasingly smaller, and now I when I perform I use only one Bose l-1 with a small powered extension speaker, and a single large condenser mic. which can be used for three or more people.

I personally see no need to amplify an acoustic guitar in my home.
Old 12-22-2021, 05:13 AM

I only play at home, and I like to connect my guitars to the amp. For home, after going through an Ibanez Troubadour and a Yamaha THR10, I now amplify them with a Fishman Loudbox mini. It's the best I've ever had!

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2018 Loef Dread SS 12 fret
1972 Yamaha FG-75 Red Label
2017 Kremona Romida rd-c
Old 12-22-2021, 10:27 AM

I can't grow good fingernails, so the sound I make trying to fingerpick is drab and dull. By plugging in, I can regain some of that treble and sparkle that's missing. Otherwise, I enjoy the sonic enhancement of the guitar's natural sound- and my Schatten HFN certainly does give a natural sound. Turned to a low volume with the amp behind me, my ears still locate the sound source as the guitar body. Every acoustic guitar you hear on recordings has been miked and amped in some way through the recording process, and I just want my own guitar to sound more like that.

The danger of this approach is you may find yourself playing your electric guitar less often.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass

Last edited by Birdbrain; 12-22-2021 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
I can't grow good fingernails, so the sound I make trying to fingerpick is drab and dull.
Interesting. I am new to fingerpicking and guitar in general, but also without good fingernails. I don’t find the sound of my fingertips dull at all. I actually prefer the mild rounding of the sound and find no loss of tone.

Larrivee OM-2 with Straight Up Strings heavy, currently flat tuned.
Old 12-22-2021, 12:24 PM

It’s not a need, but I really love plugging in and using all my effects (like chorus - strymon ola, reverb - universal audio golden, delay - strymon timeline, looper - boss) into my fishman amp
Sure my bourgeois and furch sound awesome unplugged, but plugging in is great fun as well!
Old 12-22-2021, 12:38 PM

If I'm in "practice up for a gig" mode, I always do it with the amp because the amp changes everything about how I play. I also try to practice standing up as much as possible because I'm sloppier standing up and my eye contact with the crowd is worse. Also, sometimes you don't know beforehand if a gig is going to be standing or sitting.

Couch Standards
Old 12-22-2021, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

As a long time performer with acoustic guitar and vocals, I have both a terrific coustic amp (AER Compact 60) as well as a really fine PA system (Bose L1 Model II)...

However, I'm like most of the replies - I have great acoustic guitars that sound marvelous, and I never find the need to "plug them in"... UNLESS the situation warrants it!

The only times I've plugged in while at home is when I have a piece of equipment that I need to check or try out, or, if it's been a LONG time (like currently!) since I've gigged, I'll make it a point to spend time plugged in, just to get the feel for it again.

There is such a difference between being amplified or not that it affects many aspects of my playing - being amplified requires some bit of practice to be able to deliver my best when I play in front of a crowd of people.

Playing through an amp is fun, especially when you haven't done it much or at all, but it's really very "gimmicky", and grows boring and tiresome very quickly, in my experience.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-22-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
I can't grow good fingernails, (edited for focus).
Nutrition helps. Biotin (Vitamin B7), balanced protein and calcium, too.

Hand sanitizer contains alcohol which can dehydrate skin (and nails), making them thin and fragile

Finish nail-trimming sessions with a fine nail file or emory board and buffer, being careful to file with the grain of your nails (else they can splinter and be brittle).

Moisturize your nails and surrounding skin.

Stay well hydrated.

Web search "How to grow stronger fingernails"
Old 12-22-2021, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren01 View Post
As the title says, do I need one for home playing. I have a Yamaha THR10 that has an acoustic setting and was playing around with it last night and it was fun! Made me wonder if I should pick up (see what I did there) an inexpensive acoustic amp. What say you all?
No, but it won’t hurt to try. However, my rig at home in a portable monitor/PA from TC Eletronics Voicesolo FX150. The voicing of the mini PA is perfect for guitar. I do have a small Fishman Loudbox mini, but as good as it sounds, it’s in the gig bag.
Old 12-22-2021, 09:08 PM

I tend to plug in all of the time, well 80% at least. Nice to pick up the guitar and play but I am somehow getting to the point that I kind of like what I play and sing amplified. I know that it’s possible that a loss of brain cells from my mis- spent youth have something to do with this phenomenon. And I have a couple of nice acoustic instruments…
I used to only plug in when playing out, but now it’s most of the time.
Nice mixers are a lot less $ than nice guitars…..
Old 12-23-2021, 08:57 AM

I don't usually plug in at home,, But on my desk for recording I have a Pyle(ya I know lol) PMXU43ST mixer...4-ch BT w/effects, I use a Neat Worker Bee condenser mic. and an SM57 for a guitar that goes into my computer..I use this for recordings at Sound Cloud and other places..
Sometimes I plug into a EAE M2-6 but usually not.. just too loud for my office.
I also have a Zoom G1-Four and an A1-Four depending on which guitar I'm using' but don't use the A1-Four much saving it for outdoors/live gigs
The recording on my signature...is done with Me-Worker Bee..Guitar-Sm57 both into the Mixer that's it...
So no you don't need to plugin but it is fun to play around with the effects
Old 12-23-2021, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Come on guys you need to “represent”. This is the Acoustic Amplification sub forum............of course he needs an amp.

Geez what happened to all the enablers that use to hang out here
Here...and YES of course you NEED an amp for home. I have 2 and I'm set up to go into both of them same time all the time or A/B split them. I'm sure any one of us could go on and on and on about friends of ours who spend thousands of dollars per year to drive their boat, their ATV or their snowmobile a few times a year. When I look at it that way and the amount of money that I spend on guitars and amps it's an easy answer. If I'm going to enjoy it anytime I want any day that I want many days per week per month for a year, it's always Justified if it's your passion like most of us on here get one you won't regret it.
Old 12-24-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjFuzzyMcPickle View Post
Here...and YES of course you NEED an amp for home. I have 2 and I'm set up to go into both of them same time all the time or A/B split them. I'm sure any one of us could go on and on and on about friends of ours who spend thousands of dollars per year to drive their boat, their ATV or their snowmobile a few times a year. When I look at it that way and the amount of money that I spend on guitars and amps it's an easy answer. If I'm going to enjoy it anytime I want any day that I want many days per week per month for a year, it's always Justified if it's your passion like most of us on here get one you won't regret it.
I agree...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification