The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-22-2021, 06:24 PM

Default effects send and return

Hi ;a question about the effects send and return 1/4" plug inputs on my Fishman Platinum Pro EQ.I've never used pedals but I sent away for a Chorus pedal. does my guitar plug into input and on the EQ? And my Chorus input goes to ,send and output on the pedal go to return? Why can't I just plug into it like a chain?? one into the other.Make sense? Sorry for confusion.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Hi ;a question about the effects send and return 1/4" plug inputs on my Fishman Platinum Pro EQ.I've never used pedals but I sent away for a Chorus pedal. does my guitar plug into input and on the EQ? And my Chorus input goes to ,send and output on the pedal go to return? Why can't I just plug into it like a chain?? one into the other.Make sense? Sorry for confusion.
Plugging in the effect as described (send from eq to input on effect, output on effect to return on the eq) is called using the effects loop. The main purpose to do it that way is that the circuitry eliminates the chance of having a noisy signal chain. When you power your chorus pedal, if you use a wall wart type power supply and a cheap hookup cable, and run the (especially Chorus, drive or Distortion) in front of the eq pedal, you're most likely going to have a hissing noise in the signal chain since the eq will be amplifying an already dirty signal.

Something about the effects loop circuitry eliminates that.

You CAN run the Chorus inline with the eq either before or after, but the effect loop is usually recommended.

It never hurts to experiment. My thoughts are that you may actually get the best result if you run your Chorus pedal after the eq pedal.

Good luck and let us know what works best for you.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:04 PM

The Fishman has good input and output sections and using the loop will mean the chorus is getting the kind of signal it likes. It shouldn't make a massive difference except in very specific circumstances.

If you want to use a chorus pedal in stereo then you'd need to chain them with the chorus last as YG suggests.
Old 04-25-2021, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

A rule of thumb for effects is that time based effects are used in the effects loop. These would include delay, chorus, reverb, flanging, etc. Effects like distortion are before pre amp. In stomp boxes, all rules can be broken. Most FX loops are right before the amplifier, so post any EQ.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification