The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-29-2016, 07:02 AM

Default NEGD - G&L Tribute "Limited Edition" Bluesboy

I never do NGD posts, but I'm so impressed w/this one I thought I should. Forgive the stock picture, I ain't opening a seperat picture hosting account just for this.

I love my Ascari, but man - this thing has tons of character and tone for days. Extremely versatile. Setup was pretty near perfect on arrival - even in the intonation department.

The bridge pickup has the Tele Twang I was looking for. Middle position does a great impersonation of a Strat and the neck pickup has the warmth and growl of a LP. I have only had it 2 days but can tell this is likely to become my favorite.

On sale at GC for $349 - I called MF and they price matched. Not just great for the $, simply an awesome guitar on it's own merits.

If any of ya'll are contemplating getting one now is the time.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 10-29-2016, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Very cool. G&L make some nice guitars. Enjoy!
Old 10-29-2016, 04:12 PM

Congratulations, great looking guitar!
Old 10-29-2016, 05:59 PM

I have the USA model. The middle position gets most of my playing time. One of my favorite sounds of all the guitars I own.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:03 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I have the USA model. The middle position gets most of my playing time. One of my favorite sounds of all the guitars I own.
I really like all 3 positions and although the bridge pickup will probably see the least use, for the songs it fits with - it's priceless. I slightly prefer the neck profile of my Ascari but it's not as versatile in the tone dept.

I'm really gonna enjoy this one.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 10-30-2016, 10:33 AM

To me the advantage over a similar tele is that I can set the amp for the neck or middle. But when I shift to the bridge on the bluesboy I never have to touch the volume or tone. It has great bite, but isn't icepick-y.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:48 AM

Sounds like a great bargain!!! Congrats on the G&L.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:04 AM

Smile Thanks ya'll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Sounds like a great bargain!!! Congrats on the G&L.
Thanks Dru & the rest of youse guys. Really enjoying it. Unlike Blue's American counterpart, my bridge pickup does have a drop off in volume compared to the other two positions but I just use a pedal to boost it and it doesn't bother me.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 10-31-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Thanks Dru & the rest of youse guys. Really enjoying it. Unlike Blue's American counterpart, my bridge pickup does have a drop off in volume compared to the other two positions but I just use a pedal to boost it and it doesn't bother me.
It's very adjustable, both overall, and individual pole pieces. Plus you can drop the neck pickup.

I'll be honest, right out of the box both pickups on mine were lower than any guitar I own. It sounded so good, I left it there. I could have a lot more output if I wanted by raising them. I'm almost entirely retired from playing out though, so I'm leaving it alone.

Oooops! Just checked the pic. Do you have the alnico bridge pickup? Mine is the mini MFD with adjustable pole pieces... You can still lower the neck, or raise the bridge though. No wonder you mentioned tele twang! Your guitar actually has it! Mine is more Telpeninety twang
Old 11-01-2016, 09:10 AM

I too love inexpensive guitars that sound and play great. I'm not a big electric player but the guys I play with were doing a few country style tunes and I used one guys 72 Tele. to fill in on. Really liked it but not the price. So I looked around and bought a Squier Classic vibe in butterscotch. I sold a Yamaha LS6 that I just couldn't bond with and bought one new as I could not find a used one. What a really nice guitar. Fit and finish are excellent. Frets are level and not one needed to be touched up. Action was a bit high but I took care of that. Sounds awesome with that bite and twang they are famous for. If you are not going on tour ( like me), not hung up on labels and dont want to break the bank for that classic tele sound this little guitar is just fine in the under "400" club.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
I too love inexpensive guitars that sound and play great. I'm not a big electric player but the guys I play with were doing a few country style tunes and I used one guys 72 Tele.
I do use the term "pro level instrument" regularly when comparing instruments. But I am aware that almost nobody who buys a guitar needs a full on "pro level instrument" Well, perhaps every gigger needs one. their baby. The backups and specialty guitars though? probably not. I did say probably so please no attacks

I pretty much only have "pro level" electric instruments acquired over many many years. But they were all acquired used. And not a Gibson, or USA Fender among them. So They were all under a Grand in today's dollars except for my lone indulgence which was a used National Resolectric Revolver.

But I am so tempted right now with the import G&Ls (the fallout specifically), and the semi hollow Gretsch line. I just don't need one.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
...I am so tempted right now with...the semi hollow Gretsch line. I just don't need one.
If you don't own one, you need one; with the MIK Electromatics coming in at $700-900 you won't find a better bargain in a semi - and then there's that inimitable Gretsch tone...
Old 11-07-2016, 06:53 AM

Congrats on the G&L! Yep, they're very nice guitars and my ASAT is my favourite electric. The Tributes are great too - I got to play my friend's Bluesboy last year on a visit to the USA and it was lovely.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
asat, bluesboy, g&l, ngd, tribute