The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-11-2020, 06:36 AM

Might as well throw in a shout out for my 2019 Ford Edge SEL. Got it 16 months ago new off the truck. No problems at all. Neighbour bought a Forester the same week...he's had 3 major problems. Not to say Subarus are problem vehicles, just one example here. No cd player but heated wheel and seats, and the AWD is awesome even without snow tires. Burns gas at the same rate as my 6 cylinder Impala did before it. Lots of pickup for a 4 cylinder. As far as trucks go, I think there isn't a bad truck made right now. And yes, BMW owners without fail rave about their vehicle.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
You might consider the Buick Regal TourX station wagon. It is a beautiful car! All wheel drive, 4 cylinder with around 250 hp and almost 300 lb ft of torque, (more important than hp), good handling, lots of storage, . made in Germany.....and did I mention it is beautiful?
Keeping my linked reviews consistent, here's RegularCars on that one. My acquaintances with this care are mostly happy and mostly because of the fire sale prices.

No spare tire was an issue for me and the few of these left were not colors we liked and had some miles on them. Still, as the review says, some got them for less than $30 grand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
If you are able, ask about a "one time pay lease". You pay up front and save quite a bit. I wasn't aware of this until the last two cars. The last one it saved me the equivalent of 50.00 a month over the 36 months (or 1800 on the total)
I'll qualify this by we keep cars longer now. Nothing but cash back and 0% interest have made sense except for times when we used cash for other purposes.

Neil and wife should have fun shopping. We found it interesting to check out the price points and what we see people driving. What dominated was wanting BEVs still not shipping and how we'd have felt foolish spending on another higher level vehicle. $25,000 we didn't spend on a car would be $0 in a few years and I'll bet the money we spent on house and cabin will be worth same or for home more.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Neil and wife should have fun shopping. We found it interesting to check out the price points and what we see people driving. What dominated was wanting BEVs still not shipping and how we'd have felt foolish spending on another higher level vehicle. $25,000 we didn't spend on a car would be $0 in a few years and I'll bet the money we spent on house and cabin will be worth same or for home more.

I'm actually looking forward to it and appreciate all the advice. I've tried to keep it civil but there were some suggestions that I won't be investigating based on prior experience with those brands and models. Suffice it to say I don't think we're ready to do the jump to an electric car like a Tesla for a variety of reasons. FWIW I am quite satisfied with our Honda and would likely give them my first look for my personal needs, followed by Toyota. My wife will do whatever she pleases.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
My wife will do whatever she pleases.
I’ll be interested to hear your wife’s choice.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:00 PM

I went from an Audi S4 to a Model 3 almost 2 years ago. We love it so much wife is looking to swap her Infiniti QX60 for a Model Y now.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

+1 on the Outback for what it delivers. Not sure which features appear on which 2020-21 models (XT, Touring, Limited, Premium, etc., etc.), but there are plenty of options to choose from.

Bought mine brand new 5 years ago, the one with highest ground clearance (also with lower profile tires on taller alloy rims). But I stayed with the standard engine. Plenty of horsepower and torque, on regular gas. In the past, their larger motors required premium fuel - not sure it that's still true.

First car I've owned with paddle shifters on the wheel (in addition to the regular 6-spd automatic). Didn't like the paddles for two years when I tried to drive it like an F1/Pike's Peak car. But now I love 'em for passing, long downhills, snow, ice, etc. Hands on the wheel.

Fits 3 regular size butts in the back, seats fold up/down with no hassles, plenty of cargo space for camping, coolers, golf, etc., kayaks on the roof, bikes on the back. And I drive it like I stole it on banging, pot-holed, rutted, dirt/gravel in the woods. Very sure-footed and 30mpg hwy.

Is it sexy to look at like a Porsche or Audi? No. To me, it all depends on what you need the car to do for you. If mine disappeared today, I'd buy another one tomorrow.

Last edited by tinnitus; 08-13-2020 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:18 PM

New mini with turbo. 28k.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
I’ll be interested to hear your wife’s choice.
LOL. Me too!
Old 08-13-2020, 12:34 PM

Default yup

Old 08-24-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Some day.

Just an update: I'm actually thinking of getting another Odyssey. We have a 2009 EX and would like to upgrade to the Touring model.

As for my wife, she honestly doesn't know exactly what she wants but did mention a curiosity about BMW and Audi.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:50 AM

In 2013 I bought a new Range Rover Sport Luxury SUV. 4 wheel drive was mandatory because I still do a lot of skiing in snow country. Expensive to buy, but if I keep the car for 15 years or so (as I usually do), it's not bad when amortized over that many years.

The car has been a winner in every way. I now have 80,000 miles on it and nothing has failed to date. I do change the oil and filter every 5000 miles.The air suspension ride is fantastic and, really, there's nothing it doesn't deliver in spades.

My advice is to go out and find a nice used Range Rover Sport. They depreciate like crazy, so you should be able to get one at a very reasonable price.

I figure I'll drive this one to 200,000 miles or so like I have always done with cars in the past. Then I'll buy another Range Rover Sport.

One other suggestion is to do the following: Buy the car being driven by the dealership's General Manager! EVERY car is for sale, including his/hers. You'll be able to get a "used car discount" and you KNOW the car has had any bugs worked out because it is the "Big Boss's car". I learned this from a dealer when I was a kid and I've used the technique on every new car I've ever bought. it works!

Last edited by 6L6; 08-24-2020 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:45 PM

For a good commuter car, take a look at the VW Execline Golf Sportwagen. Has all the bells and whistles, but excellent gas mileage (the 1.4 L engine in particular). You can get it with a 1.8 L engine and 4 wheel drive if you want a little more power.

While not the highest HP, the engines (turbo charged) have high torque, which gives you great pickup when passing. My wife has the base model and loves how much stuff she can fit inside (does a lot of trade shows).

The fit and finish is above average and very good handling characteristics. I have the GTI version which gives a higher performance profile but is a hatchback (Sportwagen is about 12” longer in the back). Go test drive them, worth the time (good advise for any car you are looking at)

I have also owned a Subaru Forester GT, great car but did not like the CVT transmission. The Outback may be a better choice, but it also has the CVT.

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)

Last edited by IBKuz; 08-24-2020 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Apologies for not reading all four pages, but I'm assuming it's closely equivalent to a "what strings should i choose" thread with plenty of options. So, my only value add would be to pick one of the Japanese car companies, who best match luxury, value, dependability, and performance. You mention BMW, but after owning two M-B SUVs, I'm happy to have our Lexus RX 350 SUV and Acura TLX 4-door sedan. Both are super dependable and have all the expected creature comforts.

My other suggestion would be to avoid new and buy slightly used. If you have a CarMax near you, they sell clean cars and don't negotiate on prices (which are always spot-on to value, IMHO). It's like buying a used guitar from the AGF forum vs. buying new from GC (without a dealer discount).

Good luck!
Old 08-24-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Apologies for not reading all four pages, but I'm assuming it's closely equivalent to a "what strings should i choose" thread with plenty of options. So, my only value add would be to pick one of the Japanese car companies, who best match luxury, value, dependability, and performance. You mention BMW, but after owning two M-B SUVs, I'm happy to have our Lexus RX 350 SUV and Acura TLX 4-door sedan. Both are super dependable and have all the expected creature comforts.

My other suggestion would be to avoid new and buy slightly used. If you have a CarMax near you, they sell clean cars and don't negotiate on prices (which are always spot-on to value, IMHO). It's like buying a used guitar from the AGF forum vs. buying new from GC (without a dealer discount).

Good luck!
I understand. I've noticed that threads in AGF tend to take on a life of their own and everyone usually gives their opinions without much forethought or even reading responses from the OP. That's to be expected; I'm just as guilty.

Just to reiterate, I'm thinking of upgrading from a 2009 Honda Odyssey EX to a 2020 or '21 Honda Odyssey Touring edition.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Cool. Honda makes great vehicles, and you'll get many years out of a newer one. Our three years of owning Mercedes felt like the "2020" of car maintenance. We have a great local mechanic, who only works on Lexus, Acura, Toyota, and Honda, so we happily limited our search to those four brands, when we dumped the M-B vehicles in 2018. Combined maintenance is <$400 for both cars, which was about the price of my last M-B oil change and air filter. Never again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic