The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-09-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
I chose the RAV4 over the Honda CRV (which I otherwise preferred) because I will not buy another vehicle with a turbo, and only the base CRV does not have one.
But turbos can be so much fun. In some cases not even $200 (about 3:08 in).

Old 08-09-2020, 09:45 PM

Another vote for station wagons. We’ve had a couple of Volvo XC70’s. Fantastic car and beyond safe. If fact, when I retire next year I plan on trading in my 9 year old Volvo convertible for a wagon. Kind of the anti-midlife crisis.

My daughter has a 2017 Outback. Nice car and a lot there for the money.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
Another vote for station wagons. We’ve had a couple of Volvo XC70’s. Fantastic car and beyond safe. If fact, when I retire next year I plan on trading in my 9 year old Volvo convertible for a wagon. Kind of the anti-midlife crisis.

My daughter has a 2017 Outback. Nice car and a lot there for the money.
After trying so many vehicles before the recent purchase my wife speculated the shape so many people are in might be another part of the decline of wagon sales.

We checked into the current models series and price is close enough to the Model Y and unfortunately didn't catch the appeal we had when we used to have a Volvo wagon. They certainly get credit for still making a long roof car vs bloat and bubble treatment of the platform.

What really stood out with current Volvo vs updated Outback and all that we checked out is how up market the Outback has become if you choose that. A Premium remains a good value and has a lot of space but now there's Touring, and the Onyx as an alternative to Ltd.

Pretty soon you'll have two Toyota options made on same platform as the updated Outback that is very impressive. You can get a turbo Outback for enough less than a Model Y to really notice it and current Volvos didn't appeal to us like the one we used to have.

Still, the biggest fun surprise was the VW COVID specials where there are very few Alltracks left.

FWIW, I read the Outbacks got or are getting a software update or rev for Car Play and that big display. Easy to believe. We hated the trend for a lot of dashboards in the many cars we checked out. That applied to how busy they were physically, and what a pain navigating the infotainment and setup parts of the dashboards. VAG products stood out for both, and I wished Tesla 3 and Y had a more conventional dashboard.

If you notice wireless Car Play as an issue, know you can buy wireless dongles for that. At two months I have not made that purchase I thought I would. My wife thinks Car Play alone is a reason to help want a new car and I think that's funny.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:57 AM

You might consider the Buick Regal TourX station wagon. It is a beautiful car! All wheel drive, 4 cylinder with around 250 hp and almost 300 lb ft of torque, (more important than hp), good handling, lots of storage, . made in Germany.....and did I mention it is beautiful?
Old 08-10-2020, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
I'm resisting her push for an SUV because in my eyes they are oversized gas guzzling station wagons
I understand your quandary, having just gone through this decision myself.

Did you know that SUV's and pickups now account for 70% of car sales in the US, while sedan sales continue to decline? I think SUVs alone are expected to grab over 50% of sales in 2020. There's got to be a reason. Gas is cheap. They are great for carrying "stuff" and many hold their value better than sedans.

So after years and years of buying sedans, I finally made the switch and bought an SUV this year. I love it and will never go back. In our case, my wife was the holdout, preferring sedans and hatchbacks. But she has now converted too and wants to trade-in her BMW for an SUV. Go figure.

Just my 2 cents.

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 08-10-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakingMusic View Post
In our case, my wife was the holdout, preferring sedans and hatchbacks. But she has now converted too and wants to trade-in her BMW for an SUV. Go figure.
This is sacrilegious...unless it's for an X5.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
You might consider the Buick Regal TourX station wagon. It is a beautiful car! All wheel drive, 4 cylinder with around 250 hp and almost 300 lb ft of torque, (more important than hp), good handling, lots of storage, . made in Germany.....and did I mention it is beautiful?
At this point those are a lot harder to find than the remaining VW wagons. My fears were low sales and the recent scenario where car parts are among the many shortages out there. People who've got rather new and older cars have had long waits for parts.

Unlike a VAG product and especially Golf being one of the top sellers in world, that really nice wagon is from a plant and company GM sold to the French.

Too bad GM didn't have that car in different times. In their defense, that video I posted, Americans are not buying long roof cars as nice as they are.

I also still think part of the CarUV craze is the way so many people are shaped these days, and the sprawl ways many live. They're good for the commute roads and having more of an apple or pear shape. In the context of his owning earlier models, one Outback owner I know jokes how the car grew sort of like he did.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
So, we're talking two cars, not just one...right? Your wife needs a BMW 330xi. The new interior is fabulous, and the maintenance plan means you never have to worry. She will love you forever. That's the end of that discussion. Your needs, however, are more complicated.
That’s along the lines of what I envision her in. She is not a housewife; she’s middle management and likely will be moving up the corporate ladder shortly.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
In a couple of months we will have the kid carriers paid off and driving lessons are a few years down the road. My wife is making noises that we need to get new vehicles and that now is the time to not skimp.

I don't need recommendations for a roadster that can only haul a golf bag or tennis rackets here. I'm talking something that is nice but is functional yet fun. I'm resisting her push for an SUV because in my eyes they are oversized gas guzzling station wagons. She needs something for work and to haul groceries, preferably with heated leather seats and a heated steering wheel and remote starter. I could see her in a BMW. I'm a little more blue collar/cargo short rather than white collar though so I want something a little more capable. I need something that can haul lumber and mountain bikes - and have someplace to strap a couple of kayaks to the roof if need be.
I am a huge fan of the awd vw R line. I had an 08 R-32 that was super fun. Carried snowboards and mountain bikes on tge roof rack.
Hatch backs are a pretty good use of space.
I sold my R32 for a Ford truck. Trucks are great for everything.
I sold my truck for an older Toyota 4Runner and Im pretty happy with it.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:17 PM

My ex-wife bought a 2020 Toyota 4Runner last year and I bought her old 2000 4Runner that she bought new when we were married. It had 192K miles on it and was meticulously maintained.
It is due for shocks and springs, so I'm putting a 2" lift on it and larger all terrain tires to personalize it and also take it off road for camping and trail exploring.
It burns no oil and still drives great.
4Runners aren't sports cars, but they are well built in the same factory in Japan since they were created, and they last a long time if you maintain them.
Very versatile vehicles and can go just about anywhere you would dare to go. I'm not as much of a lead foot as I used to be, so I'll get my automotive thrills by seeing parts of the country you can't see without a capable 4wd vehicle.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
This is sacrilegious...unless it's for an X5.
Too funny. The X5 is a great car but I just couldn't buy another BMW or Audi so I went too a different brand.

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 08-10-2020, 02:44 PM

Look at a Volvo V60 R design Station wagon.
Close to 400 hp and 385 ft lbs.
All Wheel Drive
Sumptuous interior with a hot rod heart!
They are an absolute hoot!
Perfect day to day Grocery Getter and then a stop light sleeper when the kid in the 3 series beemer thinks he will beat you to the next light...
Ho ho too much fun.
Your wife will love it, just don’t tell her what’s under the hood.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Look at a Volvo V60 R design Station wagon.
Close to 400 hp and 385 ft lbs.
All Wheel Drive
Sumptuous interior with a hot rod heart!
They are an absolute hoot!
Perfect day to day Grocery Getter and then a stop light sleeper when the kid in the 3 series beemer thinks he will beat you to the next light...
Ho ho too much fun.
Your wife will love it, just don’t tell her what’s under the hood.
Maybe past year's versions but the 2020 versions are 250 HP 4 cyl, and you're near or above Model Y prices in a hurry. I'm not saying it's not competitive with other high end offerings but to me the Model Y was it in that price range.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:54 AM

Quote:
ThatÂ’s along the lines of what I envision her in. She is not a housewife; sheÂ’s middle management and likely will be moving up the corporate ladder shortly.
I whole heartedly support this choice. I thought BMWs were stupid and pretentious until I bought one. Now, I would never own another car. My little 228xi never ceases to provide pleasure. If you go this route, get both the extended warranty and the longest maintenance plan they'll sell you. You will never spend another cent on your car except for tires, and, more importantly, you'll never worry about her safety. Do not under any circumstances buy a used, out-of-warranty BMW. If you need a lower priced, personal-sized option look at the 2-series, but the interiors in those cars haven't been updated yet. The 3-series is more modern.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:18 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Y I feel like my wife should lease. We don’t put a lot of miles on our vehicles. Based on how much we’ve had to put into her car this past year it makes a certain amount of sense.
If you are able, ask about a "one time pay lease". You pay up front and save quite a bit. I wasn't aware of this until the last two cars. The last one it saved me the equivalent of 50.00 a month over the 36 months (or 1800 on the total)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic