The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-06-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
I've never heard of anyone being allergic to WRC...

"The most common wood causing allergy is Western Red Cedar": http://www.gov.mb.ca/labour/safety/p...ns/bltn238.pdf

"Wood dust has several hazards associated with exposure to it in the workplace. In general, exposure to excessive amounts is considered to have an irritant effect on eyes, nose and throat in addition to pulmonary function impairment and is considered a human carcinogen. Western red cedar dust has also been shown to cause asthma": http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/wooddust/

http://www.lni.wa.gov/Safety/Researc...rnRedCedar.pdf
Old 07-07-2013, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
"The most common wood causing allergy is Western Red Cedar": http://www.gov.mb.ca/labour/safety/p...ns/bltn238.pdf

"Wood dust has several hazards associated with exposure to it in the workplace. In general, exposure to excessive amounts is considered to have an irritant effect on eyes, nose and throat in addition to pulmonary function impairment and is considered a human carcinogen. Western red cedar dust has also been shown to cause asthma": http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/wooddust/

http://www.lni.wa.gov/Safety/Researc...rnRedCedar.pdf
Thank you for the information Charles.

Now if you can't communicate with a bit more respect for others, I would appreciate it if you would stop posting in my build thread.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:52 AM

Looks good Nick, keep going and have fun with it. It's just a guitar
Old 07-07-2013, 09:08 AM

I'm sure Charles means well, probably just did not come out that well. I can't speak of allergic reactions to wood dust but more toward reactions to laundry detergent and or fire retardant material. At the point when sometimes it is painful just wearing regular clothes. Hope I can get over it.

I use a good N95 particulate mask, the cheap stuff you get at the hardware store does not cut it, get the good ones.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:45 AM

Spanish Cedar and CA glue are both nasty to my senses. There are folks who are long time workers who have been continually exposed to wood dusts that have developed nasal cancers. Pardon the pun but not something to be sneezed at.
Tom
Old 07-07-2013, 11:07 AM

Viking your build is looking good.

In the real world I'm a contractor, I always cringe when someone wants a cedar deck. My eyes itch, and I sneeze everytime I cut a board. The green treated framing material is worse with all kinds of nasty chemicals. I put on a good mask when ever I have to work with the stuff.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCavalier View Post
Looks good Nick, keep going and have fun with it. It's just a guitar
Thanks King.

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I'm sure Charles means well, probably just did not come out that well. I can't speak of allergic reactions to wood dust but more toward reactions to laundry detergent and or fire retardant material. At the point when sometimes it is painful just wearing regular clothes. Hope I can get over it.
THAT is something I can relate to. I've had Tourette's Syndrome all my life, and one of the co-morbid things I have to deal with (though less now than when I was a kid), is sensory processing disorder. Specifically, my tactile sense is sometimes screwy. Certain kinds of cloth feel like fiber glass on my skin. Can be quite painful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom West View Post
Spanish Cedar and CA glue are both nasty to my senses. There are folks who are long time workers who have been continually exposed to wood dusts that have developed nasal cancers. Pardon the pun but not something to be sneezed at.
Tom
Perhaps contrary to appearances, I am taking this seriously. Maybe I jumped the gun a bit, using my drum sander before I've got dust collection put together. I do value the long term health of my lungs and sinuses. And I was wearing a mask yesterday while I was working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuw View Post
Viking your build is looking good.

In the real world I'm a contractor, I always cringe when someone wants a cedar deck. My eyes itch, and I sneeze everytime I cut a board. The green treated framing material is worse with all kinds of nasty chemicals. I put on a good mask when ever I have to work with the stuff.
I can appreciate that. I have a number of environmental allergies myself. I take allergy shots once or twice a month.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:30 PM

FWIW I don't think Charles was trying to be condescending. During the course of my own first build I've found most luthiers (including) Charles to being very helpful and willing to offer advice when asked, short of giving away proprietary secrets of course.

BTW, you know that I like cedar. The smell doesn't bother me, in fact I enjoyed the aroma when I was running my top through the thickness sander. Of course, the dust does get everywhere so I bought a mask and I learned early on how soft the wood is. You have to be very gentle with it and from what I was told you have to leave the top a little thinner than you would a spruce top. IIRC my top was somewhere around .125" before I called it quits with the sander. I've probably taken off another .005" doing the final sanding by hand in an effort to level my rosette and eliminate dents and dings.

PS: I have a 9yo son with autism and an intellectual disability. Part of his difficulties include an attention deficit that is caused by a combination of sensory processing difficulties (both internal and external) and a lot of nervous physical energy. Thankfully, his allergies are mostly manageable but I understand second hand the difficulties that such things embody. I commend you for undertaking this project and wish you luck. FWIW I undertook my first build to channel my frustrations and I really threw myself into it, though my life is centered around my children and that has caused me to take many breaks. I hope that you are able to stick with it and avoid any frustration you might encounter.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
PS: I have a 9yo son with autism and an intellectual disability. Part of his difficulties include an attention deficit that is caused by a combination of sensory processing difficulties (both internal and external) and a lot of nervous physical energy. Thankfully, his allergies are mostly manageable but I understand second hand the difficulties that such things embody. I commend you for undertaking this project and wish you luck. FWIW I undertook my first build to channel my frustrations and I really threw myself into it, though my life is centered around my children and that has caused me to take many breaks. I hope that you are able to stick with it and avoid any frustration you might encounter.
I can appreciate the difficulties your son goes through, and also your own. My daughter has ADHD(though it sounds like it's not as bad as your son, she can be a handful) and it's been suggested that I have aspergers in addition to the tourettes. And if I do, I would be what is called high functioning, which basically means that I can observe the right way to do things and interact with people and act like I am normal and fit in, but it's mostly an act, learned behaviors that are not my first instinct. I'd much rather just be alone. I never got officially diagnosed, as I don't see a lot of point to it. Regardless of what it's called, my symptoms are what they are and I have to deal with them. Aspergers, autism, tourettes, they are all actually generally considered to be on the autistic spectrum of disorders. If you read through a list of symptoms of any of the three, there's a lot of overlap.

On the up side of neurological disorders... my unique brain issues leave me predisposed to hyper focusing on things. Which basically means that I obsess about things that catch my interest. I'm good at designing and writing software mostly because I did little else for the 3-5 years I was learning about it. It was both my day job and what I did and thought about when I went home at night. Should be an advantage in this pursuit as well. I feel like I'm doing something wrong if a day goes by and I haven't done some work on my guitar. It's one of the first things I think of when I wake up, and one of the last things I think of as I fall asleep.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:09 PM

Constructed the dust hood for the drum sander. The whole contraption is ugly as heck, but it'll do it's job.

If this gig goes anywhere in the future(some years into the future), I'll probably purchase commercially produced equipment that looks a bit more professional. I'd love to have a house with a bit of property around it so that I can build a detached shop with all the bells and whistles. Integrated dust collection, climate control, the works. But that'll be years into the future.

So next is to begin working on the dust collection piece itself. I'm going to the scrap yard tomorrow to see if they've got any electric motors that will suffice. While I'm there, I'll also try to find a motor for the sander as well. And heck, if they've got them, one for my band saw too. It's only got a half horse motor. Resawing would be a lot easier with a larger motor.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:02 AM

I like the way you build with what looks like whatever you have laying around.
It's like okay...this one should work..yep that's it.

Love it!

Scott
Old 07-09-2013, 06:14 AM

Just paint it and it won't look ugly. Drum sander is an excellent machine to have in the shop, or outside... that's where I make most of my dust
Old 07-09-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCavalier View Post
I like the way you build with what looks like whatever you have laying around.
It's like okay...this one should work..yep that's it.

Love it!

Scott
Yeah, that's pretty much exactly how this has been going. I figure, why spend money on something if there is something at hand that will do the job! AND, it's the socially responsible thing to do, right? ... Right? That's totally why I'm doing it this way.

The hood is 2 parts left over ply wood, 2 parts 1X3 that has been collecting dust in my back yard, and 2 parts thin particle board from a hollow core door someone threw away in the dumpster in the alley behind my house.

EDIT: Also, there's a good bit of spit and bailing wire involved. And I'm sure duct tape and my pocket knife will be required before it's all said and done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Just paint it and it won't look ugly. Drum sander is an excellent machine to have in the shop, or outside... that's where I make most of my dust
Makes sense. Even if I had room inside my house for a workshop, I'm not sure I'd want to have the dust generating activities done in the house. We've got a good bit of auto immune disease and allergies in my family, and don't need another allergen floating around the house.

Last edited by Viking; 07-09-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:04 PM

Looking good! can't wait to see some more...

Hand Made Walnut 000 | Hand Made Maple OOO 12 | '94 915-M | '96 810 | '98 W65 | '00 314-K |
Yairi DY-58 (9 String) | Sobell Cittern | Moon 'Bazar' (Guitar-Bouzouki) | Freshwater Octave Mandolin | Breedlove Fretless Acoustic Bass | Recording King Squareneck Tricone Reso | Ozark Tenor Banjo | Ozark Tenor Guitar | EKO Ranger XII | Fender Strat | 'Vintage' "The Fool" SG | + some others
Old 07-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Nick,
A source for a surprising supply of hardwoods to use in your shop is old pallets. Although many companies re-use them, once broken they are tossed. I used to source a lot of 1" thick oak planks for furniture projects as a young man. Some beautiful stuff under the rough surfaces. One other thing. Please think about making some kind of a guard for the belt and pulley. Old bicycle chain guard? Something to keep your hands and clothing out of the machinery, no matter how humble. Good luck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair