The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 10:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Hatcher Studio '16

I'm jumping the gun a little bit starting my 2016 studio thread now but, we're just too close to the year end to start a Hatcher Studio '15 #3

I have great projects planned this coming year and nothing gets the ball rolling more than a bunch of new back and side sets. I sent a number of well seasoned billet sets out to Chris Ensor to resaw and I was very pleased with the result. So just a note for the other builders out there Chris is a great guy to work with

Here are some pictures of just the back sets. Of course, I have the matching side sets to go with them:

From the lightest to darkest woods we have curly Maple. This is very light weight wood that I'd recommend for smaller guitars:

The next is one I'm very excited about because I think it is just drop dead gorgeous. It's extremely quilted Western Big Leaf Maple. It's very hard and would work great as a small jumbo guitar. In fact, I already have a set put aside in the upcoming spec series I'm currently working on:

This one is striped mahogany from a big board I purchased years ago. It's very hard for mahogany and has great tap tones and sustain. I have enough extra to make tops, necks etc. This would make an awesome all Mahogany Greta grand auditorium so somebody order one! I'd love to make one and there isn't even an upcharge on this wood:

Finally this darkest set is Katalox also known as Mexican Royal Ebony. Although it is not a true ebony it is harder and stiffer than most ebonies and it rings with a greater pallet of tones than any ebony I've ever heard including Macassar:

Thanks for checking these out!
Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 12-17-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Yum - lots of tasty wood here. That quilted maple just POPs. Can't wait to see where it all ends up!
Old 12-17-2015, 03:19 PM

Hey Mark,

it seems that you won't be lacking wood for the year to come.. nice to see that!
Can't wait to see your next builds
Old 12-17-2015, 05:50 PM

If I had a stack of wood like that I would never come out of the shop
Anxious to see what you do with it, your builds are always incredible.
Travis
Old 12-18-2015, 03:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks!

Currently I am working on four spec guitars to display at future shows.
I have a 16ft bench at the back of my shop that has become my "dartboard". I stage my ideas for builds here where I can see them throughout the day. I switch different woods in and out and live with them as they come together. It seems my ideas come best in passing and I can act on them quickly when everything is so accessible.

Here is what I have coming together for the quilted Maple set I said I put aside:

This will be a cut away Josie small jumbo with a quilted bear claw Sitka top.
The guitar will be trimmed in Cocobolo and have both arm and rib bevels. You can see there is some Maple burl that will find it's way in here somewhere.

Here is a better picture of the top which has both quilting and bear claw figure:

This will be the third of the four I am building. The first one is just about ready for the finisher. That one is my Pina parlor model. It has figured Redwood on curly Claro Walnut.

Thanks for viewing!
Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 12-18-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:56 PM

That quilted Western Big Leaf Maple is simply phenomenal! Looks like you got 2016 all figured out Mark.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Great selection of woods, Mark--this should be another stunner! Is the fretboard going to be Coco as well? Couldn't tell if that piece was for the fingerboard or the bevels--either way, it's a beautiful board...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 12-18-2015, 04:51 PM

Wow, that big leaf quilted Maple is every bit as phenomenal in appearance to any of "The Tree" I have seen. Don't get me wrong, that is beautiful stuff too, but this Maple is out of this world. I like the combo you have picked out for sure. It will be stunning if it is like your past work and sound great also!
Old 12-18-2015, 06:10 PM

An all mahogany Greta....dang that sounds like a winner!

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 12-18-2015, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Mark, that maple configuration looks amazing! All those chocolate tones against the maple look fantastic. That is going to be a stellar instrument. I'd have to agree with ukejon that an all-mahogany Hatcher, Greta or Josie, would also be a wonderful guitar.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 12-19-2015, 12:16 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

The bearclaw sitka will go very well with the maple, although I suppose you didn't need me to tell you that!
Old 12-19-2015, 03:18 AM
Charter Member

Veeeery pretty!

Has anyone ever done a mahogany top on a maple body, and lived to tell the tale?
Old 12-19-2015, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Veeeery pretty!

Has anyone ever done a mahogany top on a maple body, and lived to tell the tale?
Good question, Rog! Wonder how something like that would sound. I think I would like that if the maple were tinted darker, though. For some reason I like the look of a lighter top on a dark body, not so much the other way around, so I'd like to see the maple tinted almost to match the mahogany color or darker.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 12-19-2015, 01:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for the comments everyone! I like the idea of that maple with a lot of Cocobolo trim. Having the additional bands of Cocobolo color on the arm and rib bevel would really stand out and add a nice sculptured look. Not to mention the comfort it would add to a jumbo guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Good question, Rog! Wonder how something like that would sound. I think I would like that if the maple were tinted darker, though. For some reason I like the look of a lighter top on a dark body, not so much the other way around, so I'd like to see the maple tinted almost to match the mahogany color or darker.
Tonewise I can imagine mahogany working well with maple. There is a strong traditional aesthetic around the top being lighter in color though. I'm thinking the top being darker than the back and sides could make for a case of terminal uniqueness.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

That quilt is something else. What causes quilting to occur?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop